AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Symbol - Tags don't appear

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
817 Views, 5 Replies

Custom Symbol - Tags don't appear

Hello,

Noob to ACADE but not ACAD. 

Created a custom schematic symbol and the MANF and CAT tags don't show up even though all the others do.

Any helpers?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: Anonymous

If you are talking about when the block is inserted, the standard attributes for the CAT and MANF are hidden.

Normally all the blocks have those two attributes hidden along with a few others such as family.

If you are talking about when you are working on the block, you may have to zoom in a fair bit. The attributes that are hidden are normally inserted at a fairly small text size.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Icemanau

Thanks for the reply Brad.

Talking about after insertion.  When I insert AB PLC components in the schematic, the MANF and CAT tags appear, so I used them as annotation for my drawing.

Thinking I would do the same with some custom made interface modules. 

The tags were set to INVISIBLE in the properties, which I changed, and they still don't show.

Message 4 of 6
Icemanau

OK. Several things to check....

1. Check what layers they are being changed to by ACADE upon insertion, then check the layer is turned on.

2. Check the text size. they may be visible but set to a small text size.

3. Have you selected a catalog entry or filled in the CAT and MANF positions in the component edit dialog.

4. If you made the changes to the block file, did you update the block afterwards. Use the Swap/Update tool to do so if you haven't.

To double check the attribute is actually turned on when the block is inserted, right click the block and select attributes.

Now select List/Edit. Now find the CAT and MANF attributes and look for a * on the left of the attribute name. If this * is missing the attribute is still turned off. Click on the name toggle the attribute visibility on/off.

Note that most users of electrical would leave the CAT and MANF hidden to reduce drawing clutter. Under projects, there is a report function which will allow you to do reports on various things about the project. One of these is the BOM (Bill Of Materials). This particular set of reports pulls the CAT and MANF at aminimum and makes a list for ordering or inclusion on a dwg. I've attached an example of one. This is a tallied purchase list but other setups are available, including one that lists the component tags along with the part numbers.

Regards Brad

>

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Icemanau

Brad,

I had done your list of 1-4 items.  The right click for attributes and toggle visibility is what I needed.

Excellent tip.

Is that a different parameter than the "invisible" property in object properties?

Thanks,

Billy

Message 6 of 6
Icemanau

As far as I know, it does exactly the same thing as going in through the properties.

Glad that it got the problem sorted for you.

Regards Brad

>

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost