AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom symbol cross referencing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Tee.Dee
484 Views, 4 Replies

Custom symbol cross referencing

Spoiler

Hey all,

Im trying to create a symbol for a starter control plug.  The first part of the symbol consists of a box with 2 NO contacts and 1 NC contact inside it which go to PLC inputs.  The second part of the symbol consists of a relay symbol in a box which will need to be shown on the PLC output drawings.

The problem I am having is getting the second part of the symbol to show the cross reference to the contacts in the first part of the symbol.  What attributes do I need in each symbol to be able to do this and how does it know which part of the symol is NO and which is NC?  Maybe im going about it the wrong way...

I have attached a picture of my symbols, the one on the left is the child and the one on the right is the parent.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
DML_99
in reply to: Tee.Dee

Tee-Dee,

I would use symbol builder to build these symbols.  The parent (first) symbol you would build as a Vertical Parent.  The child (second) would be done as a Vertical Child. 

These are selections from the drop down menu when you first select the symbol builder.

Using the symbol builder will ensure that you have all the correct attributes included so it will work as an electrical component. 

When you insert the second symbol you will then choose the parent and you XREFs will show up correctly.

I use the symbol builder from the ribbon.  It is the easiest for me.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
Tee.Dee

Thanks DML,

These are symbols are done with the symbol builder and I have the parent/relationship setup but what i am trying to achieve is having each of the 3 contacts in the child symbol show up as cross references on the parent, the same way a relay coil shows a cross reference and graphical representation for all of its child contacts.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this?

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
testsubject

I don't think that is possible. ACE is looking for children and each set of contacts needs to be an independent child to be counted. At least, that is what I always thought.

Why don't you just insert the three NC/NO contacts one at a time and link them back to the parent?? It is not that time consuming to do and you would get the ecross-references like you want. If you want to show the three contacts joined together, link them after they are inserted.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 5 of 5
Tee.Dee
in reply to: testsubject

Thanks Bob,

I had a feeling that might be the case but I thought there may have been an extra couple of contact attributes I might be able to put in or something.  There are a couple of different ways to work around it, I guess il have to use one of those.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost