AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Part Numbers in AutoCAD Electrical, Specifically for PLC Parts

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
petestrycharske
579 Views, 4 Replies

Custom Part Numbers in AutoCAD Electrical, Specifically for PLC Parts

All,

Good morning, I am working with a client who wants to add company specific part numbers to AutoCAD Electrical Symbols, specifically PLC components.  However, the USER1 ~ 3 fields are spoken for with other data.  Is there a way to create custom fields for components and populate them with a custom identifier?  Also, the user would like this data to come out on a BOM, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.  I am guessing this is not the first time that this has come up, so I would also welcome any best practice advice.  I apologize if this seems like a rudimentary question, but I am more knowledgeable on the mechanical side and extremely green with electrical.  If you need any clarification, please feel free to ask.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

So after doing some digging, it looks like I have to edit the database to add the additional part number field.  Is this correct?  Now after I add the field to the default_cat.mdb, I don't get my new field to show up as an optional field when formatting a BOM table.  Is there some other step for getting this to work, that I am missing?  Is the default_cat.mdb the database that I should even be updating?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 5

Be careful when editing the database, I ran into issues with it (a previous user manipulated it) and I am not able to migrate it now to the latest version of AE. I would suggest that you keep a copy of the original database just in case! Also there's a way to create a project database in AutoCAD Electrical but I have never used it. That might give you the option to alter it the way you want it without corupting the main database...

Message 4 of 5
drathak
in reply to: petestrycharske

@petestrycharske wrote:

Is there a way to create custom fields for components and populate them with a custom identifier?  

Yes.  You can have your own fields on your component symbols.  For example you might use an attribute called CO_PART_NUM with a prompt of "Company Part #:" to hold that info.  Then in the catalog entry for the part you would put the following in the TEXTVALUE field;

CO_PART_NUM="MYCO-123456"   <---Tip: You can have a bunch of these to populate several fields.

That will push your part number into that field.

As for crossing the BOM bridge when you get there, look for the default.wda file.  Here's a map to help you get there...

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 5 of 5
elecflex8
in reply to: petestrycharske

To succeed in today’s global marketplace, electrical controls designers can no longer afford to rely on generic software applications to get the job done. AutoCAD Electrical offers control engineers a competitive edge by helping save hours of effort, so they can spend more time innovating.

Best regards

C Khuzwayo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost