AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Location of WD.ENV

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
tahdesign1
1431 Views, 8 Replies

Custom Location of WD.ENV

So I have read several threads on relocating the WD.ENV file and catalogs to a shared network location and there appears to be a couple of methods.

I tried to specify the network location when doing the install but it report that it is not a valid location (K:\AutoCAD Electrical Content).

The installer would not let me specify any network location, only something on the local drive.

So I installed locally and then move all the data files to the shared location. Of course when you launch the program it states that it can not find the wd.env file and lets you locate it. Then it loads and works as it should. So I have a couple of questions and statements.

1. I know that I can just add the network location in the running profiles Support File Search Path and it can then be found.

This is what I added, I assume that it will then search within these directories for what it needs

e1.jpg

So the one problem with that is the <<ACADE>> profile is unique to each user. So those lines have to be added to ALL users <<ACADE>> profiles.

I do make my develop company profiles and export an arg file for it that I force load with the /p command line switch but someone could start the program without using my shortcut.

However, I am actually going to develop deployments for this. So in the deployment I can include these paths and I assume that each user will then get these in their default <<ACADE>> profiles, correct???

Also in the deployment I believe that I can point to this network location for the share data or hopefully it will let me (since it would not let me install there).

But I also would like to repair the WD_LOAD.LSP to already look at this network location for the wd.env file.

From previous threads I have read that it is contained in the variable GBL_wd_DocSetWDBase defind in the file.

I believe the line of code defining that is:

(setq GBL_wd_DocSetWDBase (strcat (wd_4_all_slashes_forward (getvar "MYDOCUMENTSPREFIX"))
                                            "/AcadE " version_number "/AeData/"))

I have tried several things but am not sure what the format should be to change the argument to set this to K:\AutoCAD Electrical Content\AeData\

If I can get the WD_LOAD.lsp file to work I will just overwrite that after installation on each machine.

That way regardless of the running profiles the program will find my network location.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rhesusminus
in reply to: tahdesign1

What version of AcadE are you running?

I'm changing the WD_LOAD.LSP myself.

(setq GBL_wd_DocSetWDBase "K:\\AutoCAD Electrical Content\\AeData\\")

That should do the trick.

Make sure you remove/rename the wd.env that resides in your "my documents" folder. If you don't do this, you might experience some strange behaviour.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 9
tahdesign1
in reply to: rhesusminus

Sorry this is for 2014. Should have included this in the original post.

Thanks I will try that and remove any wd.env files under my documents.

Question on that, I will be installing this but it will be used by others. We work in a cad lab style of environment with roaming profiles so whenever someone first runs an Acad product there profiles inherits all the my document stuff. Does this mean that Every User will have this "other" wd.env file within their my document area?

What I have discovered since the original post is that I can point to the data directories that are placed on the "K" drive if I use the UNC pathing for that location. I am developing and testing software deployments at the moment so once I do one that has this UNC pathing I will then check the LSP file to see what it has AND search My Document folder for this other WD.ENV file. I hope that since I am able to direct the data to the network location that the local wd.env file would not be created in the users my documents.

Message 4 of 9
amigaman68

I was able to set the env file location as above, but then my database locations were not looking at correct files even though the path in the settings had the correct path. also when i did this everytime i opened cad it would have no projects listed
wd_load.lsp
; ** 04-Jan-07 NEHolt - 879631
; (setq GBL_wd_DocSetWDBase (strcat (wd_4_all_slashes_forward (getvar "MYDOCUMENTSPREFIX"))
; "/AcadE " version_number "/AeData/"))
(setq GBL_wd_DocSetWDBase "C:/ACADE Shared Directories/ACADE/")
I must be missing something, any help would be greatly appreciated
Message 5 of 9
Gail2011

Funny how 10 years later, people still have the same issues :).

I am trying to create a network wd.env location, and I would like AcadE to always go to the network location instead of the local wd.env.

I looked at the WD_LOAD.lsp, and I really do not want to screw that up,

So is it possible to create a simple .lsp to run from the Startup Suite, to issue the command (setq GBL wd DocSetWDBase "H:\Controls\AutoCad Drawings\Controls Standards\_APT_ACADE_MASTER\SUPPORT FILES") ?

Could that work?

(I feel better doing that, and just calling the .lsp file WDENVLOC.lsp)

Also, AcadE  online Help shows backslashes, but inside the WD_LOAD.lsp it says use forward slashes. Which is it?

The goal for this network wd.env, is so we can direct AcadE to look at custom folders for the schematic parts before going to the Default folders, like for the Icon menu. (In the Options menu, I have also put the folders in order so the Custom folders will be the first place to look.)

I am doing this remotely, so it is a little hard to do testing with this. 

Any direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gail

Message 6 of 9
rhesusminus
in reply to: tahdesign1

Nothing much has happened with this in 10 years, so the only way is to rename the local aedata folder, so that Arcade can't find it.

The real question is; you can apparently see how little effort is out into this product. Do you really want to stay for 10 more years to find out if effort in fixing the product is being made? I jumped off in 2019...

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 7 of 9
amigaman68

Actually, we got this to work quite well, I will have to update the solution when I get a chance.

Message 8 of 9
Gail2011
in reply to: amigaman68

Yes, please. Sooner sounds great!

Message 9 of 9
Gail2011

We are in this for the long haul, and hopefully we will see greater updates .

You have been a very good resource and mentor.

Keep up the good work you do for many users.

Thanks!

Gail

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost