AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Symbol with no wire number change (AutoCad Electrical 2011)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1913 Views, 5 Replies

Create Symbol with no wire number change (AutoCad Electrical 2011)

Hey guys,

So I am trying to create a symbol for a fused terminal block. I found a symbol in the library that I want to use but I can't figure out how to edit the symbol so that it won't change the wire number when I insert it. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Okay nevermind!  I figured it out.  I will post my solution in case someone else has the same question in the future.

When you first select symbol builder, you have to select the objects, pick insertion point, etc.  Well you also have to specifiy what the symbol is and what type.  For the symbol option I chose "horizontal terminal" and for type I chose  "terminal with wire number".  That fixed my problem with the wire number changing.

Note that I also had an issue with the symbol not behaving like a symbol at all when I saved everything and inserted it.  This was due to the fact that I completely changed the symbol name when saving it.  I think it's the first four letters that are most important because auto cad uses that to determine what type of symbol it is.  So when you save your symbol be sure to leave the first four letters as they are.

Hope this helps someone at some point.

Later!

Message 3 of 6
PatMurnen_Adsk

I would suggest looking over the Help topic on Library Symbol Naming Conventions used by AcadE. You can find it in the Help at Symbol Libraries > Library Symbol Naming Conventions > Overview of symbol naming conventions or the same topic on the wiki at http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/AutoCAD_Electrical/enu/2012/Help/0266-Symbol_L266/0269-Library_269/0270...

One item in particular  regarding terminals -

• The third character is "0" if the wire number does not change through the terminal, "1" if the terminal symbol should trigger a wire number change.

• Pat Murnen
    Principal Content Developer
    Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 6
    Anonymous
    in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

Thanks I will definitely check that out as I want to create a distribution block that will not trigger a change either.

Message 5 of 6
    Anonymous

Hi Nayethaj,

Requirement : CPT terminal# should be the wire number once the symbol is inserted into the circuit.

Please explain the procedure how to create the symbol with no wire number change in detailed way we want to implement the same for Control power transformer (CPT) symbol.

Message 6 of 6
    PatMurnen_Adsk

The wire number change is triggered by the symbol name. Here are the rules to follow when creating and naming a schematic symbol in AutoCAD Electrical (pulled from the Help topic http://docs.autodesk.com/ACAD_E/2014/ENU/filesAcadE_UsersGuide/GUID-EC107A26-54F7-4F2E-85AC-82893AF7...

The red text is critical to determine whether you want a wire number change across the symbol or not.

Schematic components such as relays, switches, pilot lights, and discrete motor control devices (but not PLC I/O symbols) follow this naming convention:

• 32-character block name maximum, first character is either "H" or "V" for horizontal or vertical wire insertion.
    • The next two characters are reserved for family type (for example, PB for push buttons, CR for control relays, LS for limit switches). A zero (0) as the second character of the family type (for example, a 0 in the overall symbol name) means that the symbol does not trigger a wire number change through it. (For example, T0 for terminals, W0 for cable markers, C0 for connectors.)
    • The fourth character is generally a 1 or a 2: 2 for child contacts and 1 for everything else (parent or standalone component).
    • If the symbol is a contact, then the fifth character is a 1 for normally open, 2 for normally closed.
    • The remaining characters are not specified. They are used to keep names unique.

Important - Do not use "HH", "HV", "VH", or "VV" as the first two characters of a symbol block name.

Hope this helps,

Pat

Pat Murnen
    Principal Content Developer
    Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost