AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Project Settings to Existing Project - Can it be done easily?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
drathak
2741 Views, 5 Replies

Copy Project Settings to Existing Project - Can it be done easily?

I have a situation where we have a number of projects that will need to be updated to look to the proper folders for menu files and symbols.

I have searched but can't find an easy way to do this other than when creating a new project.  Has anyone else run into this and if so, how did you deal with it?

And I'm asking for easy since I want the average user to be able to accomplish this rather than me having to do it. 

Thanks.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dougmcalexander
in reply to: drathak

When creating a new project, set the "Copy Settings from Project File" field to a project that already has your preferred project properties set.  I also recommend setting the preferred library selections in the wd.env file, if you feel comfortable editing this file.  This allows any user to select the library and/or menu categories in the project properties dialog and click the Default button to automatically select the preferred libraries.  BUt this isn't necessary when creating a new project, as long as you set the "Copy Settings from Project File" field to a project that already has your preferred project properties set.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 6
drathak
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Doing it during project creation is not an issue.  We have a number of projects that were created before we had a clue what we were doing that I would like to update. 

I hadn't considered the wd.env, but I did attend a couple of classes about at AU.  I'll give that a look.  That would be pretty easy for my users to handle.

Thanks!

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 4 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: drathak

If it is only a small number of projects that you need to update, than you can do it manually.

Exit ACADE totally.

Open the project WDP file in Notepad for an existing project that you know has the good settings you need.

Highlight from line +[1] down to the start of the drawing file descriptions (the lines starting with one or more equal [=] signs).

Press Ctrl-C to copy the data.

Close the wdp file WITHOUT saving.

Now Open one of the wdp files to update.

Highlight from line +[1] up to the drawing file descriptions as before and then press Ctrl-V.

Save the file and repeat for the next file to be updated.

From looking at the WDP file contents, these are the various settings

*[#] are the project descriptions

+[#] are the project settings to do with layers, directorys and similar

?[#] are the project settings to do with orientation, xref and so on

=, ==, === are all dwg specific descriptions and are followed by the associated file name

If you have a large number of projects to update, You may be able to write a batch file or script to copy the required settings and paste them into the affected projects.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
drathak
in reply to: Icemanau

That's a bit too complex to roll out to the users.  If I can get the wd.env tweaked up and do a short video of a few clicks to match them up, that's a workable solution.

Thanks for the idea though. 

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 6 of 6
drathak
in reply to: dougmcalexander

@dougmcalexander wrote:

I also recommend setting the preferred library selections in the wd.env file, if you feel comfortable editing this file.  This allows any user to select the library and/or menu categories in the project properties dialog and click the Default button to automatically select the preferred libraries.

Thanks again, Doug.  A few minutes editing, testing and recording a video and my users can do this for themselves now!

--------------
Joe Weaver

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost