AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Footprint problem

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
testsubject
625 Views, 5 Replies

Copy Footprint problem

I have seen this happen on and off over the years and it reared its ugly head again.

I insert a footprint no problem, but when I use "copy component" the new footprint appears to have a new insertion point that shoots the part several inches above and to the right of where I wanted to insert it.

If I check the basepoint, it is set to 0,0.

It seems to happen most often with older drawings that I am adding footprints to. If I start with a fresh drawing and copy the parts to it, the problem goes away.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Bob,

is it possible that the drawing had a previous instance of a footprint with an incorrect base point? Once a block is inserted on a drawing then it becomes the one always used on that drawing unless all instances are erased and the drawing is purged. You can also use the Swap Block to update all instances of a block. This essentially erases all instances of a block, purges the drawing, insert the block getting the latest, and puts all the attribute values back as they were.

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6

That's the thing Pat. It happens everytime I try to use Swap Block in the same drawing.The updated part ends up in a completely different place on the drawing. Then if I move it back and try swap block again, it move it again.

I always place the component on 0,0 in the base drawing and made sure that is where my basepoint is set to.

It is very strange.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 4 of 6

Bob, can you post the drawing, the library symbol and the steps to reproduce? Or email it to me directly at pat.murnen@autodesk.com. Maybe if I look try it myself I might discover the cause.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 6

Sent

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 6 of 6

Bob,

per our emails - this was a result of a different UCS being used with an origin different than 0,0. Once the UCS was set to World then the Swap Block worked as expected.

Regards,

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost