AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Drawings In Same Project

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1906 Views, 4 Replies

Copy Drawings In Same Project

I would like to make copies of drawings that are the same except for the component identities, but in the same project. As an example, I have four machines in a system that have the same (or very close) I/O requirements and draw one up as a template. I would like to copy that one and reassign the components without effecting the original. Am I stuck creating a circuit template of the whole thing or is there an easier way to strip the component designations from the new copy?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Right click on the dwg name and select 'Copy To'.

This will copy the dwg and let you name the file. It then adds it to the
project.

Regards Brad

wrote in message
news:6344456@discussion.autodesk.com...
I would like to make copies of drawings that are the same except for the
component identities, but in the same project. As an example, I have four
machines in a system that have the same (or very close) I/O requirements and
draw one up as a template. I would like to copy that one and reassign the
components without effecting the original. Am I stuck creating a circuit
template of the whole thing or is there an easier way to strip the component
designations from the new copy?
Message 3 of 5
rhesusminus

I think the easiest way would be to use the "Save circuit to icon menu" function on your circuits (Select everything but the drawing frame).
Then insert a new empty drawing into your project and use "Insert saved circuit" to insert your circuit on the page.

This will trigger a re-tag on most of the components.
Using the "Copy to..." function won't trigger a re-tag, and you'll get lots of extra questions while changing tags on the copmonents.

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks, that is what I am doing. Just looking to see if there is a better way than saving it as a circuit then deleting it when finished. I think a "Copy - to" with options would be a good addition.
Message 5 of 5
RMichaud

I do this quite often. After you copy your drawing in project manager, right click on the new drawing in project manager and select properties, drawing properties. If you are using sheet values for your components and references and wire numbering then change the sheet value and the drawing value at the bottom of the "drawing settings dialog tab (using your own internal drawing numbering sceem) and this will retag your components and wire numbers for you. Again, this only will work if you have formatted your components and wire numbers to use the %D and %S values. They can be configured in the drawing properties dialog box under the component tab and the wire numbers tab.
It's been a while since I have had to do this so I am not sure if you will have to run the retag components comand or not afterwards.
Ronald Michaud
Electrical Engineer
Darly Custom Technology Inc.
www.darlytech.com
Via Lite V3 thru ACADE 2011

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost