AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy configured component(s) to another drawing in project?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jbaker
3558 Views, 2 Replies

Copy configured component(s) to another drawing in project?

Is there an easy way to copy configured components (with catalog number, assigned pin numbers, custom text, etc.) to another drawing in the same project?  I can't find an Electrical command (other than Save Circuit to Icon Menu -- ugh) to move parts to a different sheet.  (Our ACADE instructor specifically warned against using traditional AutoCAD copy and move commands because they result in duplicated tags and end up confusing the wiring database, BOM report, etc.)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CAD-ICE
in reply to: jbaker

Hi there!

I alway´s use the wblock command when copying selected parts from a drawing to another drawing. Just type wblock on the command line and follow the instruction in the dialog window. After saving the circuit as a block move to the drawing you want to insert the circuit and insert the block there. After inserting the block you will need to explode the block and retag the drawing.

Regards, Gary 

Message 3 of 3
jbaker
in reply to: CAD-ICE

Thanks for the reply, Gary.   That's close to what I used to do, but it leaves clean-up work to do, and requires care handling parent and child components.

Here's the solution offered by our trainer:

1. Use the Move Component command to move the component into an empty area of the drawing. No need to Retag at this time. This heals the original wire.
  2. Use the Windows Cut & Paste commands to insert the component into the new drawing. Place it in an empty area.
  3. Use the Move Component command to move the component into the correct location on the wire. Be sure to allow the Retag for the new location.

This does all the clean-up work and handles parent and child components automatically.

Thanks to Randy Brunette, who I can recommend as an Electrical trainer:  http://www.brutec.us/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost