AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact type - How to change?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
drathak
505 Views, 5 Replies

Contact type - How to change?

Been searching but I can't find an answer to this one.  I use solid state relays which have input and programmable output points rather than NO and NC contacts.  In my pinlists I set these as type 4 -"Multi-pole Term or Undefined".  But when I try to insert the output block I designed I'm told that this will "exceed the number of allowed contacts of this type" or something similar.  So I go back and look at my block and as I'm exiting I notice that the "Contact:" field in the Save Symbol dialog box is set to "(1) NO" but it is greyed out and I can't change it.  How do I change that or do I have to create a new block that has the right type?

Scratch that.  Just tried to make a new one and it is still greyed out.  Help?

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rhesusminus
in reply to: drathak

In the "symbol name" text box, just change the "1" to "4" 🙂

As far as I know, the fifth character in the block name is ONLY to specify NO/NC and nothing else. So i guess you just won't need that fifth character in your block.

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 6
rhesusminus
in reply to: rhesusminus

Also, you have the PINLIST_TYPE attribute in your child symbol? This is where you specify your own user defined types.

See attached drawing, where I have a parent symbol (Flashlight), that takes three child symbols (Batteries) of my own user defined type (4BATT).

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 4 of 6
drathak

@rhesusminus wrote:

In the "symbol name" text box, just change the "1" to "4" 🙂

As far as I know, the fifth character in the block name is ONLY to specify NO/NC and nothing else. So i guess you just won't need that fifth character in your block. 

I had thought about that but was operating under the assumption that I shouldn't mess with that field for some reason.

Thanks!

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 5 of 6
drathak

@rhesusminus wrote:

Also, you have the PINLIST_TYPE attribute in your child symbol? This is where you specify your own user defined types.

See attached drawing, where I have a parent symbol (Flashlight), that takes three child symbols (Batteries) of my own user defined type (4BATT).

I did not but I am going back and adding it.  Am I correct that this attribute isn't readily availble in the Symbol Editor?  I've added it manually to one but I'm not sure I did it right.  I think I'll run through creating the symbol again and try to make it right from the get go.

I'll report back when I've tested it all out.

Thanks again for all your help.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 6 of 6
drathak
in reply to: drathak

Ok!  Got it working now!  Adding the PINLIST_TYPE attribute helps filter out the choices, but my problem was that I didn't have the asterisk in front of the contact label every time. 

There really needs to be a better way to do the pinlists for complicated relays/devices.  I'm working on a spreadsheet that will let me build the pinlist string to C&P into the database.  Has anyone else done something similar?  (Or maybe better?)

--------------
Joe Weaver

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost