AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring filename when publishing to pdf...

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
CAD-ICE
23552 Views, 16 Replies

Configuring filename when publishing to pdf...

Hi there,

wondering if someone knows how to configure ACADE to name the pdf´s created. I would like to publish each dwg such that the name of the pdf would inherit the filename and revision no (from the title block).

Example: 13FL78-AT110.DWG (rev.B) -> 13FL78-AT110_B.pdf

ACADE inherits the layoutname by default so basically I could achieve my goal by renaming the layout tab to the actual revision no. but I assume that this can be configured somehow.

Thx. Gary

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
zalant
in reply to: CAD-ICE

Aside from what you've stated about renaming the layout tabs themselves, you could also rename the individual sheets once you get to the Publish dialog.  As long as you save the sheet file (DSD), those names will remain the next time you open the sheet file to perform the creation of the PDFs again.  The good thing about this method is that it requires no change to the original drawings.  While it's not as automatic as you'd like, if you add drawings to your project after having published and created a saved sheet file, you can simply re-load the DSD file in future publishing jobs (choose the append option), adjust the new sheets with the desired names, and then save the updated DSD file.  

While we're on the subject of creating PDFs in AutoCAD Electrical, if anyone out there hasn't already tried the following steps, give them a shot.

1. Project Manager
  2. Plot/Publish
  3. Publish to DWF
  4. Select the drawings to publish
  5. Select the PDF device 

If you want a single PDF with multiple pages, click the Publish Options button and change the Type field to "Multi-sheet file".

Zac Travis
Message 3 of 17
CAD-ICE
in reply to: zalant

Dear Zac,

thank´s for your assistance with my problem. I´m sorry I´m not following you on how the to use the sheet file (DSD).

You mention that I can rename the individual sheets in the Publish dialog...can you explain this a little bit further?

I use the Plot/Publish alway´s when publishing the project to pdf and it´s a swell tool for sure. However we use the pdf´s as a sort of rear window to our previous revisions of issues and that´s why we publish each dwg as a seperate pdf sheet with the dwg name with the issue no.  Can I accomplish this in an automatic or easier way by using the sheet file?

Thank´s in advance.

Regards, Gary

Message 4 of 17
zalant

To address your question about renaming the sheets in the Publish dialog, just right-click any sheet and choose to rename it.  That new name will be used as the title of the resultant PDF file.  I've recorded a short video (no audio) which demonstrates this.  You can see it here:

http://screencast.com/t/pY6IHrDKn

Before making this video, I had previously processed a publish job using the first 5 drawings in the Demo project.  I had renamed them when publishing, hence the sheet names of Page 1 through Page 5.  Those new names only exist in the saved sheet (DSD) file, and have no affect on the original drawing files' names. 

Let's say that I then had maybe added the last 4 drawings in the project since that first publish job, and now I wanted to add 6-8 to the publish job, as well.  You can see in the video where I just processed the new sheets and brought the other DSD file in with the previous sheets (that I had already renamed).  Granted, this does involve a manual renaming process, but if you were going to be ouputting these sheets on more than one occasion, it could save you some time and allow you to get the PDF file names that you want, without changing layout or drawing names.  The main advantage there is that you can use the same project drawing files and layouts in different publishing jobs, using different sheet DSD files, in which the sheet names you specify (and hence the output PDF files names) can differ.  I realize that this may not apply to everyone, but for anyone looking for that capability, it is definitely there.

Getting back to your original proposition, though, without using LISP or other customization techniques, there's no way of which I'm aware that will allow for publish job sheet renaming to be automated (other than how it already is with file/layout names), or to be able to specify an attribute from which those new sheet names would be pulled.

Zac Travis
Message 5 of 17
CAD-ICE

Dear Zac,

thank´s for your reply...nice feature to see how to with the video clip. However you need to finish the show because if I follow your instructions and continue by publishing the selected files, the files don´t inherit the names from the DSD file.

I must be missing some details when completing the publish function.

Could you show that as well ?

Thanks again for your fantastic support.

Regards, Gary

Message 6 of 17
zalant

In my testing, after renaming the sheets, the publish job proceeds and uses the sheet names for the file names when the PDFs are created.  Here is a video of that:

http://www.screencast.com/t/C9Ola3AZCIq

Minor note:  my sheet file had demo drawings 3, 4, and 5, but I picked 1, 2, and 3 when choosing the drawings to publish.  This has no bearing on what I was trying to demonstrate in this video, though, which is that the (modified) sheet names get used when creating the PDF files.

Zac Travis
Message 7 of 17
CAD-ICE

Dear Zac,

thank´s again for all your help in thiis matter...brilliant solution, the video is a fantastic way to demonstrate this!

Regards, Gary

Message 8 of 17
smbrennan

Zac,

Is there a way to change how AutoCAD translates the PERIODS in a layout name. Right now they automatically translate to UNDERSCORES, but I would like to keep them as PERIODS.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 9 of 17
zalant
in reply to: smbrennan

In my testing, I'm not having the periods replaced.  Here is a screen capture:

Period in file-layout name.jpg

When I completed the Publish job, the suggested name of the PDF was the same as the original DWG name, with the periods in it.  If you're getting a different result, please post here an image like this, showing where things are going wrong.

Zac Travis
Message 10 of 17
smbrennan

Zac,

Thanks for the quick reply. Attached is a snapshot that shows what I see (I don't typically go through the Publish Dialog Box when I use SSM, but the result is still the same).

If it makes any difference, I am using AutoCAD MEP 2013 on a W7-64-bit machine.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 11 of 17
zalant

Shawn,

Thanks for attaching the screen capture.  I was able to reproduce the behavior you've described, but only when choosing the 'Single-sheet file' option for the PDF/DWF output.  I've mentioned it to Development, so we'll see what their take on it is.  I'll post back here when someone comments on it.

EDIT:  3/31/2015 - It's fixed now in AutoCAD Electrical 2015 (and newer).

Zac Travis
Message 12 of 17
smbrennan

Zac,

I just discovered something that may help find the cause ...

Through the SSM, if I publish to a PDF, the periods are automatically converted to underscores with single sheet file settings.

If I publish to a page setup override that happens to be a PDF printer (in my case, the default DWG to PDF.pc3), it will keep the periods as they are.

Shawn B.

||    
Message 13 of 17
zalant

In the case where you've got DWGtoPDF.pc3 configured in the page setup, are you getting single-sheet PDFs or multi-page PDFs? (Or have you tried with both and still get the periods, either way?)

Zac Travis
Message 14 of 17
WSEcad

It took a little while and some inventive search terms but I found your post and I have to thank you. I would have had no idea how to prevent the periods from becoming underscores. It never mattered until the local authority required a naming convention for all pdf's to include periods. Another bullet dodged!

Message 15 of 17
zalant
in reply to: WSEcad

Just an FYI to everyone impacted by this: This behavior was fixed for the 2015 version of AutoCAD Electrical. For versions 2011-2014, it will continue to be an issue and there will be no fix. Going forward, though, periods in sheet names will come out as periods in the PDF/DWF names. Hope this helps!

Zac Travis
Message 16 of 17

Hi there

Need assistance in creating a batch plot/combined PDF using the layout tab names. Presently, when I publish a multiple-sheet PDF in AutoCAD 2013, it shows the sheet name in the publish dialog box, but when creating the combined PDF, it then converts to sheet 1, 2 etc. I need to keep the entire sheet name ie: 60080 production print(2016-10-04)-xkt-000. In the combined PDF it drops "xkt-000"(sheet name) and saves it as 60080 production print(2016-10-04) 2.pdf.  

How can I do a batch plot using the sheet name and not sheet 1 ,2 etc., since my end user needs to reference the xkt-100 (part number), not to search each PDF....

Please respond as soon as possible since I have a deadline today.

Message 17 of 17

If you create a single sheet PDF, it keeps the name?

If that is so, and you're in a hurry, create many single-sheet PDFs and join them together with some PDF software.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost