AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
656 Views, 8 Replies

Conduit

In the Insert/Edit conduit/wireway label dialog box, there is a section that allows you to select the conduit size. The help mentions that ACADE can also calculate the % full for a particular conduit size based on the wires that are selected to fill the conduit. I am having trouble understanding how this works, can someone provide us with a little more information please? cds
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

There are 2 support files that affect how this works. There is the .WDW file and the .WW1 file. I've copied some info from the online Help that should explain how these work together. The .WDW file contains the wire information. You may have a different file for each project. Simply create a projname.wdw file and put in the same directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same file for all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WDW file in the USER folder (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the full path). This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text editor such as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each AutoCAD Electrical wire layer. The line has three fields, each field separated by a semi-colon. The first field is the actual wire layer name used on the drawing. The second field is the wire layer description. This description is used in the AutoCAD Electrical Wire Color/Gauge Label feature. The third field is the wire size. (Note this third field is probably not in the file supplied with AcadE) For example, you have a wire layer called 14_RED_THHN. When using a wire color/gauge label you wish the label to read #14AWG RED for this layer. The wire itself has a wire diameter of 0.0087. The line in the .WDW file would read: 14_RED_THHN;#14AWG RED;0.0087 The .WW1 file contains the conduit information. You may have a different file for each project. Simply create a projname.ww1 file and put in the same directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same file for all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WW1 file in the USER folder (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the full path). This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text editor such as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each conduit. Each line has two fields. The first field is the conduit size that will be shown in the Conduit Marker dialog. The second field is the conduit size, i.e. the inner diameter of the conduit, so AutoCAD Electrical can determine how full the conduit is once you add up all the wire diameter sizes from the wires (pulled from the .WDW file). For example, you have a 1" conduit with an inner diameter of 0.5. The line in the .WW1 file would read 1";0.5 So using the wire size and the conduit size the calculation is made and displayed. If there is no .WW1 file or is if the wire sizes are not in the file the calculations are not made. If this still does not work, let me know and I will investigate further. Pat Murnen (Autodesk) "Carl Smith" wrote in message news:4113911f$1_1@newsprd01... > In the Insert/Edit conduit/wireway label dialog box, there is a section that > allows you to select the conduit size. The help mentions that ACADE can also > calculate the % full for a particular conduit size based on the wires that > are selected to fill the conduit. I am having trouble understanding how this > works, can someone provide us with a little more information please? > > cds > >
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

I have 2 questions/issues on the conduit sizing/report. 1. I can't get it to work right. I don't know if it's my input values or the math in cad itself. I just used as an example the wire size from a cutsheet and nominal conduit values off the NEC code. My default.wdw and .ww1 file located in ..\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2005\R16.1\enu\Support\User are as follows: default.wdw 12_XHHW;1.52 default.ww1 1";1.063 i'm getting a fill of 214% for 15 wires. Thinking that it must be cross-sectional area, and not diameter, i used .01815 for the #12 wire data which gives me a fil of 26% which sounds more reasonable. But then for my conduit report, the wire diameter is listed as .01815. 2. Is there a way to updated the project to recheck the .wdw and .ww1 file like the rebuild feature. Just to run the example above and change wire diameter in the .wdw file, AE doesn't seem to recognize the change when i re-run he conduit marker feature. I only affects it when i close out of AE and re-open. "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:412e6e6e$1_1@newsprd01... > There are 2 support files that affect how this works. There is the .WDW file > and the .WW1 file. I've copied some info from the online Help that should > explain how these work together. > > The .WDW file contains the wire information. You may have a different file > for each project. Simply create a projname.wdw file and put in the same > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same file for > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WDW file in the USER folder > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the full path). > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text editor such > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each AutoCAD > Electrical wire layer. The line has three fields, each field separated by a > semi-colon. The first field is the actual wire layer name used on the > drawing. The second field is the wire layer description. This description is > used in the AutoCAD Electrical Wire Color/Gauge Label feature. The third > field is the wire size. (Note this third field is probably not in the file > supplied with AcadE) > > For example, you have a wire layer called 14_RED_THHN. When using a wire > color/gauge label you wish the label to read #14AWG RED for this layer. The > wire itself has a wire diameter of 0.0087. The line in the .WDW file would > read: > > 14_RED_THHN;#14AWG RED;0.0087 > > The .WW1 file contains the conduit information. You may have a different > file for each project. Simply create a projname.ww1 file and put in the same > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same file for > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WW1 file in the USER folder > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the full path). > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text editor such > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each conduit. > Each line has two fields. The first field is the conduit size that will be > shown in the Conduit Marker dialog. The second field is the conduit size, > i.e. the inner diameter of the conduit, so AutoCAD Electrical can determine > how full the conduit is once you add up all the wire diameter sizes from the > wires (pulled from the .WDW file). For example, you have a 1" conduit with > an inner diameter of 0.5. The line in the .WW1 file would read > > 1";0.5 > > So using the wire size and the conduit size the calculation is made and > displayed. If there is no .WW1 file or is if the wire sizes are not in the > file the calculations are not made. > > If this still does not work, let me know and I will investigate further. > > Pat Murnen (Autodesk) > > > "Carl Smith" wrote in message > news:4113911f$1_1@newsprd01... > > In the Insert/Edit conduit/wireway label dialog box, there is a section > that > > allows you to select the conduit size. The help mentions that ACADE can > also > > calculate the % full for a particular conduit size based on the wires that > > are selected to fill the conduit. I am having trouble understanding how > this > > works, can someone provide us with a little more information please? > > > > cds > > > > > >
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I am going to hold off answering question #1 until I investigate a little further. As far as question #2, you can reset this by selecting Projects -> Extras -> Set Global Variable Value. Enter GBL_wd_wdwinfo and set value to nil. This should force a reread of the .wdw file. Pat Murnen (Autodesk) "dns" wrote in message news:4148d166$1_2@newsprd01... > I have 2 questions/issues on the conduit sizing/report. > 1. I can't get it to work right. I don't know if it's my input values or > the math in cad itself. I just used as an example the wire size from a > cutsheet and nominal conduit values off the NEC code. My default.wdw and > .ww1 file located in ..\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical > 2005\R16.1\enu\Support\User are as follows: > default.wdw > 12_XHHW;1.52 > > default.ww1 > 1";1.063 > > i'm getting a fill of 214% for 15 wires. Thinking that it must be > cross-sectional area, and not diameter, i used .01815 for the #12 wire data > which gives me a fil of 26% which sounds more reasonable. But then for my > conduit report, the wire diameter is listed as .01815. > > 2. Is there a way to updated the project to recheck the .wdw and .ww1 file > like the rebuild feature. Just to run the example above and change wire > diameter in the .wdw file, AE doesn't seem to recognize the change when i > re-run he conduit marker feature. I only affects it when i close out of AE > and re-open. > > > "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in message > news:412e6e6e$1_1@newsprd01... > > There are 2 support files that affect how this works. There is the .WDW > file > > and the .WW1 file. I've copied some info from the online Help that should > > explain how these work together. > > > > The .WDW file contains the wire information. You may have a different file > > for each project. Simply create a projname.wdw file and put in the same > > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same file > for > > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WDW file in the USER > folder > > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the full path). > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text editor > such > > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each AutoCAD > > Electrical wire layer. The line has three fields, each field separated by > a > > semi-colon. The first field is the actual wire layer name used on the > > drawing. The second field is the wire layer description. This description > is > > used in the AutoCAD Electrical Wire Color/Gauge Label feature. The third > > field is the wire size. (Note this third field is probably not in the file > > supplied with AcadE) > > > > For example, you have a wire layer called 14_RED_THHN. When using a wire > > color/gauge label you wish the label to read #14AWG RED for this layer. > The > > wire itself has a wire diameter of 0.0087. The line in the .WDW file would > > read: > > > > 14_RED_THHN;#14AWG RED;0.0087 > > > > The .WW1 file contains the conduit information. You may have a different > > file for each project. Simply create a projname.ww1 file and put in the > same > > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same file > for > > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WW1 file in the USER > folder > > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the full path). > > > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text editor > such > > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each conduit. > > Each line has two fields. The first field is the conduit size that will be > > shown in the Conduit Marker dialog. The second field is the conduit size, > > i.e. the inner diameter of the conduit, so AutoCAD Electrical can > determine > > how full the conduit is once you add up all the wire diameter sizes from > the > > wires (pulled from the .WDW file). For example, you have a 1" conduit with > > an inner diameter of 0.5. The line in the .WW1 file would read > > > > 1";0.5 > > > > So using the wire size and the conduit size the calculation is made and > > displayed. If there is no .WW1 file or is if the wire sizes are not in the > > file the calculations are not made. > > > > If this still does not work, let me know and I will investigate further. > > > > Pat Murnen (Autodesk) > > > > > > "Carl Smith" wrote in message > > news:4113911f$1_1@newsprd01... > > > In the Insert/Edit conduit/wireway label dialog box, there is a section > > that > > > allows you to select the conduit size. The help mentions that ACADE can > > also > > > calculate the % full for a particular conduit size based on the wires > that > > > are selected to fill the conduit. I am having trouble understanding how > > this > > > works, can someone provide us with a little more information please? > > > > > > cds > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

any answers on Question #1? for the wire size, i mis-typed it in the post. it should be .0152, which is the value in the .wdw file. "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:41499a50_2@newsprd01... > I am going to hold off answering question #1 until I investigate a little > further. As far as question #2, you can reset this by selecting Projects -> > Extras -> Set Global Variable Value. Enter GBL_wd_wdwinfo and set value to > nil. This should force a reread of the .wdw file. > > Pat Murnen (Autodesk) > > "dns" wrote in message news:4148d166$1_2@newsprd01... > > I have 2 questions/issues on the conduit sizing/report. > > 1. I can't get it to work right. I don't know if it's my input values or > > the math in cad itself. I just used as an example the wire size from a > > cutsheet and nominal conduit values off the NEC code. My default.wdw and > > .ww1 file located in ..\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical > > 2005\R16.1\enu\Support\User are as follows: > > default.wdw > > 12_XHHW;1.52 > > > > default.ww1 > > 1";1.063 > > > > i'm getting a fill of 214% for 15 wires. Thinking that it must be > > cross-sectional area, and not diameter, i used .01815 for the #12 wire > data > > which gives me a fil of 26% which sounds more reasonable. But then for my > > conduit report, the wire diameter is listed as .01815. > > > > 2. Is there a way to updated the project to recheck the .wdw and .ww1 > file > > like the rebuild feature. Just to run the example above and change wire > > diameter in the .wdw file, AE doesn't seem to recognize the change when i > > re-run he conduit marker feature. I only affects it when i close out of > AE > > and re-open. > > > > > > "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in message > > news:412e6e6e$1_1@newsprd01... > > > There are 2 support files that affect how this works. There is the .WDW > > file > > > and the .WW1 file. I've copied some info from the online Help that > should > > > explain how these work together. > > > > > > The .WDW file contains the wire information. You may have a different > file > > > for each project. Simply create a projname.wdw file and put in the same > > > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same file > > for > > > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WDW file in the USER > > folder > > > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the full > path). > > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text editor > > such > > > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each AutoCAD > > > Electrical wire layer. The line has three fields, each field separated > by > > a > > > semi-colon. The first field is the actual wire layer name used on the > > > drawing. The second field is the wire layer description. This > description > > is > > > used in the AutoCAD Electrical Wire Color/Gauge Label feature. The third > > > field is the wire size. (Note this third field is probably not in the > file > > > supplied with AcadE) > > > > > > For example, you have a wire layer called 14_RED_THHN. When using a wire > > > color/gauge label you wish the label to read #14AWG RED for this layer. > > The > > > wire itself has a wire diameter of 0.0087. The line in the .WDW file > would > > > read: > > > > > > 14_RED_THHN;#14AWG RED;0.0087 > > > > > > The .WW1 file contains the conduit information. You may have a different > > > file for each project. Simply create a projname.ww1 file and put in the > > same > > > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same file > > for > > > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WW1 file in the USER > > folder > > > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the full > path). > > > > > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text editor > > such > > > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each > conduit. > > > Each line has two fields. The first field is the conduit size that will > be > > > shown in the Conduit Marker dialog. The second field is the conduit > size, > > > i.e. the inner diameter of the conduit, so AutoCAD Electrical can > > determine > > > how full the conduit is once you add up all the wire diameter sizes from > > the > > > wires (pulled from the .WDW file). For example, you have a 1" conduit > with > > > an inner diameter of 0.5. The line in the .WW1 file would read > > > > > > 1";0.5 > > > > > > So using the wire size and the conduit size the calculation is made and > > > displayed. If there is no .WW1 file or is if the wire sizes are not in > the > > > file the calculations are not made. > > > > > > If this still does not work, let me know and I will investigate further. > > > > > > Pat Murnen (Autodesk) > > > > > > > > > "Carl Smith" wrote in message > > > news:4113911f$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > In the Insert/Edit conduit/wireway label dialog box, there is a > section > > > that > > > > allows you to select the conduit size. The help mentions that ACADE > can > > > also > > > > calculate the % full for a particular conduit size based on the wires > > that > > > > are selected to fill the conduit. I am having trouble understanding > how > > > this > > > > works, can someone provide us with a little more information please? > > > > > > > > cds > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I looked back to see the math used. It looks like it does a simple addition of all the diameter values for the wires included in the conduit. Then it takes that sum and divides it by the conduit diameter for each size and then multiplies by 100 to get percentage. conduitsize = pulled from .ww1 file for example 1";1.063 wiresize = pulled from .wdw file wsum = sum of wiresizes for each wire in conduit fill = ((/ wsum conduitsize) 100.0) Any feedback you have on this is appreciated. Pat Murnen (Autodesk) "dns" wrote in message news:414efcc5$1_1@newsprd01... > any answers on Question #1? for the wire size, i mis-typed it in the > post. > it should be .0152, which is the value in the .wdw file. > > "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in message > news:41499a50_2@newsprd01... >> I am going to hold off answering question #1 until I investigate a little >> further. As far as question #2, you can reset this by selecting > Projects -> >> Extras -> Set Global Variable Value. Enter GBL_wd_wdwinfo and set value >> to >> nil. This should force a reread of the .wdw file. >> >> Pat Murnen (Autodesk) >> >> "dns" wrote in message news:4148d166$1_2@newsprd01... >> > I have 2 questions/issues on the conduit sizing/report. >> > 1. I can't get it to work right. I don't know if it's my input values > or >> > the math in cad itself. I just used as an example the wire size from a >> > cutsheet and nominal conduit values off the NEC code. My default.wdw > and >> > .ww1 file located in ..\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical >> > 2005\R16.1\enu\Support\User are as follows: >> > default.wdw >> > 12_XHHW;1.52 >> > >> > default.ww1 >> > 1";1.063 >> > >> > i'm getting a fill of 214% for 15 wires. Thinking that it must be >> > cross-sectional area, and not diameter, i used .01815 for the #12 wire >> data >> > which gives me a fil of 26% which sounds more reasonable. But then for > my >> > conduit report, the wire diameter is listed as .01815. >> > >> > 2. Is there a way to updated the project to recheck the .wdw and .ww1 >> file >> > like the rebuild feature. Just to run the example above and change >> > wire >> > diameter in the .wdw file, AE doesn't seem to recognize the change when > i >> > re-run he conduit marker feature. I only affects it when i close out >> > of >> AE >> > and re-open. >> > >> > >> > "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in > message >> > news:412e6e6e$1_1@newsprd01... >> > > There are 2 support files that affect how this works. There is the > .WDW >> > file >> > > and the .WW1 file. I've copied some info from the online Help that >> should >> > > explain how these work together. >> > > >> > > The .WDW file contains the wire information. You may have a different >> file >> > > for each project. Simply create a projname.wdw file and put in the > same >> > > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same > file >> > for >> > > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WDW file in the USER >> > folder >> > > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the full >> path). >> > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text >> > > editor >> > such >> > > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each > AutoCAD >> > > Electrical wire layer. The line has three fields, each field >> > > separated >> by >> > a >> > > semi-colon. The first field is the actual wire layer name used on the >> > > drawing. The second field is the wire layer description. This >> description >> > is >> > > used in the AutoCAD Electrical Wire Color/Gauge Label feature. The > third >> > > field is the wire size. (Note this third field is probably not in the >> file >> > > supplied with AcadE) >> > > >> > > For example, you have a wire layer called 14_RED_THHN. When using a > wire >> > > color/gauge label you wish the label to read #14AWG RED for this > layer. >> > The >> > > wire itself has a wire diameter of 0.0087. The line in the .WDW file >> would >> > > read: >> > > >> > > 14_RED_THHN;#14AWG RED;0.0087 >> > > >> > > The .WW1 file contains the conduit information. You may have a > different >> > > file for each project. Simply create a projname.ww1 file and put in > the >> > same >> > > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same > file >> > for >> > > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WW1 file in the USER >> > folder >> > > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the full >> path). >> > > >> > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text >> > > editor >> > such >> > > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each >> conduit. >> > > Each line has two fields. The first field is the conduit size that > will >> be >> > > shown in the Conduit Marker dialog. The second field is the conduit >> size, >> > > i.e. the inner diameter of the conduit, so AutoCAD Electrical can >> > determine >> > > how full the conduit is once you add up all the wire diameter sizes > from >> > the >> > > wires (pulled from the .WDW file). For example, you have a 1" conduit >> with >> > > an inner diameter of 0.5. The line in the .WW1 file would read >> > > >> > > 1";0.5 >> > > >> > > So using the wire size and the conduit size the calculation is made > and >> > > displayed. If there is no .WW1 file or is if the wire sizes are not >> > > in >> the >> > > file the calculations are not made. >> > > >> > > If this still does not work, let me know and I will investigate > further. >> > > >> > > Pat Murnen (Autodesk) >> > > >> > > >> > > "Carl Smith" wrote in message >> > > news:4113911f$1_1@newsprd01... >> > > > In the Insert/Edit conduit/wireway label dialog box, there is a >> section >> > > that >> > > > allows you to select the conduit size. The help mentions that ACADE >> can >> > > also >> > > > calculate the % full for a particular conduit size based on the > wires >> > that >> > > > are selected to fill the conduit. I am having trouble understanding >> how >> > > this >> > > > works, can someone provide us with a little more information >> > > > please? >> > > > >> > > > cds >> > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> > >> >> > >
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

That explains why I get 214% fill for 15 #12 wires (d=.152") in 1" conduit (d=1.063"). What this math is calculating is only the linear diameter of all wires, and determining if it fits in the diameter of the conduit, which is definately wrong. What it should calculate is the sum of the cross-sectional area of all wires to determine if it fits in the cross-sectional area of the conduit. With the math currently used, only 7 #12 wires would fit in a 1" conduit (100%). Just tabulating off a Code book shows that 19 #12 wires can be run in a 1" conduit, and that is maintaining a 40% fill (Required by code). Hope this helps. let me know if it's possible for me to modify the math in AE itself somehow. thanks. "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:414f2360$1_1@newsprd01... > I looked back to see the math used. It looks like it does a simple addition > of all the diameter values for the wires included in the conduit. Then it > takes that sum and divides it by the conduit diameter for each size and then > multiplies by 100 to get percentage. > > conduitsize = pulled from .ww1 file for example 1";1.063 > wiresize = pulled from .wdw file > wsum = sum of wiresizes for each wire in conduit > fill = ((/ wsum conduitsize) 100.0) > > Any feedback you have on this is appreciated. > Pat Murnen (Autodesk) > > > "dns" wrote in message news:414efcc5$1_1@newsprd01... > > any answers on Question #1? for the wire size, i mis-typed it in the > > post. > > it should be .0152, which is the value in the .wdw file. > > > > "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in message > > news:41499a50_2@newsprd01... > >> I am going to hold off answering question #1 until I investigate a little > >> further. As far as question #2, you can reset this by selecting > > Projects -> > >> Extras -> Set Global Variable Value. Enter GBL_wd_wdwinfo and set value > >> to > >> nil. This should force a reread of the .wdw file. > >> > >> Pat Murnen (Autodesk) > >> > >> "dns" wrote in message news:4148d166$1_2@newsprd01... > >> > I have 2 questions/issues on the conduit sizing/report. > >> > 1. I can't get it to work right. I don't know if it's my input values > > or > >> > the math in cad itself. I just used as an example the wire size from a > >> > cutsheet and nominal conduit values off the NEC code. My default.wdw > > and > >> > .ww1 file located in ..\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical > >> > 2005\R16.1\enu\Support\User are as follows: > >> > default.wdw > >> > 12_XHHW;1.52 > >> > > >> > default.ww1 > >> > 1";1.063 > >> > > >> > i'm getting a fill of 214% for 15 wires. Thinking that it must be > >> > cross-sectional area, and not diameter, i used .01815 for the #12 wire > >> data > >> > which gives me a fil of 26% which sounds more reasonable. But then for > > my > >> > conduit report, the wire diameter is listed as .01815. > >> > > >> > 2. Is there a way to updated the project to recheck the .wdw and .ww1 > >> file > >> > like the rebuild feature. Just to run the example above and change > >> > wire > >> > diameter in the .wdw file, AE doesn't seem to recognize the change when > > i > >> > re-run he conduit marker feature. I only affects it when i close out > >> > of > >> AE > >> > and re-open. > >> > > >> > > >> > "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in > > message > >> > news:412e6e6e$1_1@newsprd01... > >> > > There are 2 support files that affect how this works. There is the > > .WDW > >> > file > >> > > and the .WW1 file. I've copied some info from the online Help that > >> should > >> > > explain how these work together. > >> > > > >> > > The .WDW file contains the wire information. You may have a different > >> file > >> > > for each project. Simply create a projname.wdw file and put in the > > same > >> > > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same > > file > >> > for > >> > > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WDW file in the USER > >> > folder > >> > > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the full > >> path). > >> > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text > >> > > editor > >> > such > >> > > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each > > AutoCAD > >> > > Electrical wire layer. The line has three fields, each field > >> > > separated > >> by > >> > a > >> > > semi-colon. The first field is the actual wire layer name used on the > >> > > drawing. The second field is the wire layer description. This > >> description > >> > is > >> > > used in the AutoCAD Electrical Wire Color/Gauge Label feature. The > > third > >> > > field is the wire size. (Note this third field is probably not in the > >> file > >> > > supplied with AcadE) > >> > > > >> > > For example, you have a wire layer called 14_RED_THHN. When using a > > wire > >> > > color/gauge label you wish the label to read #14AWG RED for this > > layer. > >> > The > >> > > wire itself has a wire diameter of 0.0087. The line in the .WDW file > >> would > >> > > read: > >> > > > >> > > 14_RED_THHN;#14AWG RED;0.0087 > >> > > > >> > > The .WW1 file contains the conduit information. You may have a > > different > >> > > file for each project. Simply create a projname.ww1 file and put in > > the > >> > same > >> > > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same > > file > >> > for > >> > > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WW1 file in the USER > >> > folder > >> > > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the full > >> path). > >> > > > >> > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text > >> > > editor > >> > such > >> > > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each > >> conduit. > >> > > Each line has two fields. The first field is the conduit size that > > will > >> be > >> > > shown in the Conduit Marker dialog. The second field is the conduit > >> size, > >> > > i.e. the inner diameter of the conduit, so AutoCAD Electrical can > >> > determine > >> > > how full the conduit is once you add up all the wire diameter sizes > > from > >> > the > >> > > wires (pulled from the .WDW file). For example, you have a 1" conduit > >> with > >> > > an inner diameter of 0.5. The line in the .WW1 file would read > >> > > > >> > > 1";0.5 > >> > > > >> > > So using the wire size and the conduit size the calculation is made > > and > >> > > displayed. If there is no .WW1 file or is if the wire sizes are not > >> > > in > >> the > >> > > file the calculations are not made. > >> > > > >> > > If this still does not work, let me know and I will investigate > > further. > >> > > > >> > > Pat Murnen (Autodesk) > >> > > > >> > > > >> > > "Carl Smith" wrote in message > >> > > news:4113911f$1_1@newsprd01... > >> > > > In the Insert/Edit conduit/wireway label dialog box, there is a > >> section > >> > > that > >> > > > allows you to select the conduit size. The help mentions that ACADE > >> can > >> > > also > >> > > > calculate the % full for a particular conduit size based on the > > wires > >> > that > >> > > > are selected to fill the conduit. I am having trouble understanding > >> how > >> > > this > >> > > > works, can someone provide us with a little more information > >> > > > please? > >> > > > > >> > > > cds > >> > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> > > > > > >
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I'm afraid there isn't any way for you to modify the math used. I will log this into the system so the issue is raised. Thanks for the feedback. Pat Murnen (Autodesk) "dns" wrote in message news:41506898_2@newsprd01... > That explains why I get 214% fill for 15 #12 wires (d=.152") in 1" conduit > (d=1.063"). What this math is calculating is only the linear diameter of > all wires, and determining if it fits in the diameter of the conduit, > which > is definately wrong. What it should calculate is the sum of the > cross-sectional area of all wires to determine if it fits in the > cross-sectional area of the conduit. With the math currently used, only 7 > #12 wires would fit in a 1" conduit (100%). Just tabulating off a Code > book > shows that 19 #12 wires can be run in a 1" conduit, and that is > maintaining > a 40% fill (Required by code). Hope this helps. let me know if it's > possible for me to modify the math in AE itself somehow. > thanks. > > > "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in message > news:414f2360$1_1@newsprd01... >> I looked back to see the math used. It looks like it does a simple > addition >> of all the diameter values for the wires included in the conduit. Then it >> takes that sum and divides it by the conduit diameter for each size and > then >> multiplies by 100 to get percentage. >> >> conduitsize = pulled from .ww1 file for example 1";1.063 >> wiresize = pulled from .wdw file >> wsum = sum of wiresizes for each wire in conduit >> fill = ((/ wsum conduitsize) 100.0) >> >> Any feedback you have on this is appreciated. >> Pat Murnen (Autodesk) >> >> >> "dns" wrote in message news:414efcc5$1_1@newsprd01... >> > any answers on Question #1? for the wire size, i mis-typed it in the >> > post. >> > it should be .0152, which is the value in the .wdw file. >> > >> > "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in > message >> > news:41499a50_2@newsprd01... >> >> I am going to hold off answering question #1 until I investigate a > little >> >> further. As far as question #2, you can reset this by selecting >> > Projects -> >> >> Extras -> Set Global Variable Value. Enter GBL_wd_wdwinfo and set >> >> value >> >> to >> >> nil. This should force a reread of the .wdw file. >> >> >> >> Pat Murnen (Autodesk) >> >> >> >> "dns" wrote in message > news:4148d166$1_2@newsprd01... >> >> > I have 2 questions/issues on the conduit sizing/report. >> >> > 1. I can't get it to work right. I don't know if it's my input > values >> > or >> >> > the math in cad itself. I just used as an example the wire size >> >> > from > a >> >> > cutsheet and nominal conduit values off the NEC code. My >> >> > default.wdw >> > and >> >> > .ww1 file located in ..\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical >> >> > 2005\R16.1\enu\Support\User are as follows: >> >> > default.wdw >> >> > 12_XHHW;1.52 >> >> > >> >> > default.ww1 >> >> > 1";1.063 >> >> > >> >> > i'm getting a fill of 214% for 15 wires. Thinking that it must be >> >> > cross-sectional area, and not diameter, i used .01815 for the #12 > wire >> >> data >> >> > which gives me a fil of 26% which sounds more reasonable. But then > for >> > my >> >> > conduit report, the wire diameter is listed as .01815. >> >> > >> >> > 2. Is there a way to updated the project to recheck the .wdw and > .ww1 >> >> file >> >> > like the rebuild feature. Just to run the example above and change >> >> > wire >> >> > diameter in the .wdw file, AE doesn't seem to recognize the change > when >> > i >> >> > re-run he conduit marker feature. I only affects it when i close >> >> > out >> >> > of >> >> AE >> >> > and re-open. >> >> > >> >> > >> >> > "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in >> > message >> >> > news:412e6e6e$1_1@newsprd01... >> >> > > There are 2 support files that affect how this works. There is the >> > .WDW >> >> > file >> >> > > and the .WW1 file. I've copied some info from the online Help that >> >> should >> >> > > explain how these work together. >> >> > > >> >> > > The .WDW file contains the wire information. You may have a > different >> >> file >> >> > > for each project. Simply create a projname.wdw file and put in the >> > same >> >> > > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same >> > file >> >> > for >> >> > > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WDW file in the > USER >> >> > folder >> >> > > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the >> >> > > full >> >> path). >> >> > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text >> >> > > editor >> >> > such >> >> > > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each >> > AutoCAD >> >> > > Electrical wire layer. The line has three fields, each field >> >> > > separated >> >> by >> >> > a >> >> > > semi-colon. The first field is the actual wire layer name used on > the >> >> > > drawing. The second field is the wire layer description. This >> >> description >> >> > is >> >> > > used in the AutoCAD Electrical Wire Color/Gauge Label feature. The >> > third >> >> > > field is the wire size. (Note this third field is probably not in > the >> >> file >> >> > > supplied with AcadE) >> >> > > >> >> > > For example, you have a wire layer called 14_RED_THHN. When using >> >> > > a >> > wire >> >> > > color/gauge label you wish the label to read #14AWG RED for this >> > layer. >> >> > The >> >> > > wire itself has a wire diameter of 0.0087. The line in the .WDW > file >> >> would >> >> > > read: >> >> > > >> >> > > 14_RED_THHN;#14AWG RED;0.0087 >> >> > > >> >> > > The .WW1 file contains the conduit information. You may have a >> > different >> >> > > file for each project. Simply create a projname.ww1 file and put >> >> > > in >> > the >> >> > same >> >> > > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same >> > file >> >> > for >> >> > > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WW1 file in the > USER >> >> > folder >> >> > > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the >> >> > > full >> >> path). >> >> > > >> >> > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text >> >> > > editor >> >> > such >> >> > > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each >> >> conduit. >> >> > > Each line has two fields. The first field is the conduit size that >> > will >> >> be >> >> > > shown in the Conduit Marker dialog. The second field is the >> >> > > conduit >> >> size, >> >> > > i.e. the inner diameter of the conduit, so AutoCAD Electrical can >> >> > determine >> >> > > how full the conduit is once you add up all the wire diameter >> >> > > sizes >> > from >> >> > the >> >> > > wires (pulled from the .WDW file). For example, you have a 1" > conduit >> >> with >> >> > > an inner diameter of 0.5. The line in the .WW1 file would read >> >> > > >> >> > > 1";0.5 >> >> > > >> >> > > So using the wire size and the conduit size the calculation is >> >> > > made >> > and >> >> > > displayed. If there is no .WW1 file or is if the wire sizes are >> >> > > not >> >> > > in >> >> the >> >> > > file the calculations are not made. >> >> > > >> >> > > If this still does not work, let me know and I will investigate >> > further. >> >> > > >> >> > > Pat Murnen (Autodesk) >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > "Carl Smith" wrote in message >> >> > > news:4113911f$1_1@newsprd01... >> >> > > > In the Insert/Edit conduit/wireway label dialog box, there is a >> >> section >> >> > > that >> >> > > > allows you to select the conduit size. The help mentions that > ACADE >> >> can >> >> > > also >> >> > > > calculate the % full for a particular conduit size based on the >> > wires >> >> > that >> >> > > > are selected to fill the conduit. I am having trouble > understanding >> >> how >> >> > > this >> >> > > > works, can someone provide us with a little more information >> >> > > > please? >> >> > > > >> >> > > > cds >> >> > > > >> >> > > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > >> >> > >> >> >> >> >> > >> > >> >> > >
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

No guarantees on this but as a workaround, try the attached lisp file and dialog definition file to calculate the fill percentage of a conduit marker. Feel free to modify this routine in any way. To use it you will need to load the lisp file in AutoCAD and the dialog definition file, .dcl, will need to be in an AutoCAD search path or you could enter the path in the lisp file. Then at the command line enter calc_fill. This will look for your wire information in the .WDW file and the conduit information in the .WW1 file. If that information is found you will be asked to pick a conduit marker. Once selected it will read the wire information off the conduit marker. It will calculate the cross-sectional area for each wire based on its wire diameter (pulled from .WDW file). It will add up these cross-sectional areas and then divide it by the cross-sectional area of each conduit. And finally multiply by 100 to get the %. Finally a small dialog will display with the % for each conduit size. So this calculation expects the wire diameter in the .WDW file and the conduit's inner cross-sectional area in the .WW1. Feel free to modify this calculation in any way you see fit. This is supplied as a starting point but it should allow you to keep the wire diamter in the .WDW file so it is correct in your reports.. Hope this helps, Pat Murnen Autodesk "dns" wrote in message news:41506898_2@newsprd01... > That explains why I get 214% fill for 15 #12 wires (d=.152") in 1" conduit > (d=1.063"). What this math is calculating is only the linear diameter of > all wires, and determining if it fits in the diameter of the conduit, > which > is definately wrong. What it should calculate is the sum of the > cross-sectional area of all wires to determine if it fits in the > cross-sectional area of the conduit. With the math currently used, only 7 > #12 wires would fit in a 1" conduit (100%). Just tabulating off a Code > book > shows that 19 #12 wires can be run in a 1" conduit, and that is > maintaining > a 40% fill (Required by code). Hope this helps. let me know if it's > possible for me to modify the math in AE itself somehow. > thanks. > > > "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in message > news:414f2360$1_1@newsprd01... >> I looked back to see the math used. It looks like it does a simple > addition >> of all the diameter values for the wires included in the conduit. Then it >> takes that sum and divides it by the conduit diameter for each size and > then >> multiplies by 100 to get percentage. >> >> conduitsize = pulled from .ww1 file for example 1";1.063 >> wiresize = pulled from .wdw file >> wsum = sum of wiresizes for each wire in conduit >> fill = ((/ wsum conduitsize) 100.0) >> >> Any feedback you have on this is appreciated. >> Pat Murnen (Autodesk) >> >> >> "dns" wrote in message news:414efcc5$1_1@newsprd01... >> > any answers on Question #1? for the wire size, i mis-typed it in the >> > post. >> > it should be .0152, which is the value in the .wdw file. >> > >> > "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in > message >> > news:41499a50_2@newsprd01... >> >> I am going to hold off answering question #1 until I investigate a > little >> >> further. As far as question #2, you can reset this by selecting >> > Projects -> >> >> Extras -> Set Global Variable Value. Enter GBL_wd_wdwinfo and set >> >> value >> >> to >> >> nil. This should force a reread of the .wdw file. >> >> >> >> Pat Murnen (Autodesk) >> >> >> >> "dns" wrote in message > news:4148d166$1_2@newsprd01... >> >> > I have 2 questions/issues on the conduit sizing/report. >> >> > 1. I can't get it to work right. I don't know if it's my input > values >> > or >> >> > the math in cad itself. I just used as an example the wire size >> >> > from > a >> >> > cutsheet and nominal conduit values off the NEC code. My >> >> > default.wdw >> > and >> >> > .ww1 file located in ..\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical >> >> > 2005\R16.1\enu\Support\User are as follows: >> >> > default.wdw >> >> > 12_XHHW;1.52 >> >> > >> >> > default.ww1 >> >> > 1";1.063 >> >> > >> >> > i'm getting a fill of 214% for 15 wires. Thinking that it must be >> >> > cross-sectional area, and not diameter, i used .01815 for the #12 > wire >> >> data >> >> > which gives me a fil of 26% which sounds more reasonable. But then > for >> > my >> >> > conduit report, the wire diameter is listed as .01815. >> >> > >> >> > 2. Is there a way to updated the project to recheck the .wdw and > .ww1 >> >> file >> >> > like the rebuild feature. Just to run the example above and change >> >> > wire >> >> > diameter in the .wdw file, AE doesn't seem to recognize the change > when >> > i >> >> > re-run he conduit marker feature. I only affects it when i close >> >> > out >> >> > of >> >> AE >> >> > and re-open. >> >> > >> >> > >> >> > "Pat Murnen (Autodesk)" wrote in >> > message >> >> > news:412e6e6e$1_1@newsprd01... >> >> > > There are 2 support files that affect how this works. There is the >> > .WDW >> >> > file >> >> > > and the .WW1 file. I've copied some info from the online Help that >> >> should >> >> > > explain how these work together. >> >> > > >> >> > > The .WDW file contains the wire information. You may have a > different >> >> file >> >> > > for each project. Simply create a projname.wdw file and put in the >> > same >> >> > > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same >> > file >> >> > for >> >> > > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WDW file in the > USER >> >> > folder >> >> > > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the >> >> > > full >> >> path). >> >> > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text >> >> > > editor >> >> > such >> >> > > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each >> > AutoCAD >> >> > > Electrical wire layer. The line has three fields, each field >> >> > > separated >> >> by >> >> > a >> >> > > semi-colon. The first field is the actual wire layer name used on > the >> >> > > drawing. The second field is the wire layer description. This >> >> description >> >> > is >> >> > > used in the AutoCAD Electrical Wire Color/Gauge Label feature. The >> > third >> >> > > field is the wire size. (Note this third field is probably not in > the >> >> file >> >> > > supplied with AcadE) >> >> > > >> >> > > For example, you have a wire layer called 14_RED_THHN. When using >> >> > > a >> > wire >> >> > > color/gauge label you wish the label to read #14AWG RED for this >> > layer. >> >> > The >> >> > > wire itself has a wire diameter of 0.0087. The line in the .WDW > file >> >> would >> >> > > read: >> >> > > >> >> > > 14_RED_THHN;#14AWG RED;0.0087 >> >> > > >> >> > > The .WW1 file contains the conduit information. You may have a >> > different >> >> > > file for each project. Simply create a projname.ww1 file and put >> >> > > in >> > the >> >> > same >> >> > > directory as your project file (.WDP). If you want to use the same >> > file >> >> > for >> >> > > all projects, then create or modify the DEFAULT.WW1 file in the > USER >> >> > folder >> >> > > (use the Settings button on the Project dialog box to find the >> >> > > full >> >> path). >> >> > > >> >> > > This file is a simple text file and can be edited with any text >> >> > > editor >> >> > such >> >> > > as WordPad. There should be a separate line in the file for each >> >> conduit. >> >> > > Each line has two fields. The first field is the conduit size that >> > will >> >> be >> >> > > shown in the Conduit Marker dialog. The second field is the >> >> > > conduit >> >> size, >> >> > > i.e. the inner diameter of the conduit, so AutoCAD Electrical can >> >> > determine >> >> > > how full the conduit is once you add up all the wire diameter >> >> > > sizes >> > from >> >> > the >> >> > > wires (pulled from the .WDW file). For example, you have a 1" > conduit >> >> with >> >> > > an inner diameter of 0.5. The line in the .WW1 file would read >> >> > > >> >> > > 1";0.5 >> >> > > >> >> > > So using the wire size and the conduit size the calculation is >> >> > > made >> > and >> >> > > displayed. If there is no .WW1 file or is if the wire sizes are >> >> > > not >> >> > > in >> >> the >> >> > > file the calculations are not made. >> >> > > >> >> > > If this still does not work, let me know and I will investigate >> > further. >> >> > > >> >> > > Pat Murnen (Autodesk) >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > "Carl Smith" wrote in message >> >> > > news:4113911f$1_1@newsprd01... >> >> > > > In the Insert/Edit conduit/wireway label dialog box, there is a >> >> section >> >> > > that >> >> > > > allows you to select the conduit size. The help mentions that > ACADE >> >> can >> >> > > also >> >> > > > calculate the % full for a particular conduit size based on the >> > wires >> >> > that >> >> > > > are selected to fill the conduit. I am having trouble > understanding >> >> how >> >> > > this >> >> > > > works, can someone provide us with a little more information >> >> > > > please? >> >> > > > >> >> > > > cds >> >> > > > >> >> > > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > >> >> > >> >> >> >> >> > >> > >> >> > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost