AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Component numbering using PLC address

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ddemerath
644 Views, 4 Replies

Component numbering using PLC address

I am trying to number the components in ACAD E 2012 using the PLC address.  The current format is %F%S%N.  When I insert a component that is tied to the PLC, the component adds the sheet # also.  Say I am on sheet 10 and I add a PB, it returns the number  PB10I:0/01.  What I would rather see is PBI:0/01 for the part #.  If not on a PLC sheet, I do want to see the %F%S%N format.  How can I change this?

Thanks, DD 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: ddemerath

This is part of the problem you get into when using the ladder style line references that merge the sheet number with the %N to create the complete line reference.  If you want line reference 605 to mean sheet 6 line 05 it is best to use the default line reference style of numbers only and key in the sheet number as the first number of any new ladder's first line reference.  This avoids confusion with cross-referencing, PLC tagging (PLCs default to PLC%N, not PLC%S%N) and would alleviate your problem as well.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
rkambrose
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Is this something that has/will be corrected. It isn't too bad to go through a small project and update ladder references for each sheet manually when you add a drawing but as drawing sets grow it becomes a real annoyance. It looks to me like it just replaces the %N field with the I/O address. This option should remove everything and leave I/O address %F
Message 4 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: ddemerath

It does indeed replace the %N value with the PLC address. That's how it works. IF I were troubleshooting the machine I would find it helpful to know that the PB is on sheet 10. Autodesk will have to rewrite the code to strip out the sheet number. They cannot predict every scenariom. I always suggest using the numbers only option for line references. This circumvents the need to tweak the tagging format, wire numbering format, cross referencing format, and PLC tagging format. Just type the sheet number as the first number of a ladder and you're all set.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 5
sonny3g
in reply to: dougmcalexander

We resolved this issue by setting the default properities for component and wire tagging to by %F%N only on sheets that were PLC modules all other sheets retaing the %F%S%N format.  The ladder was still created with the %S%N format and the PLC module used PLC%S%N in the options.  All other devices and wires that directly connected to the PLC module defaulted to the "Use PLC" numbering scheme.

Scott

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost