AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Component Linking

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dbrblg
344 Views, 9 Replies

Component Linking

Hi,
When I have an illuminated pushbutton how do you link the contact to the lamp?

In my situation they are on different pages so I need to link the two together to avoid ambiguity and for the BOM.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sven_kloeck
in reply to: dbrblg

The easiest solution: One of the two components has to be a child. I would suggest the lamp because the main function is the button.
In the electrical help you should find how that works, if you don't know. Or you can ask here.

Sven Kloeck
Electrical Network Design
Message 3 of 10
dbrblg

Hi Sven,

Am I looking to link catalog number, component...?

The help files seem to indicate that the conversion toolbar can link using a variety of tags but not as a child.

I am presumabily looking for the wrong thing?

Thanks
Message 4 of 10
sven_kloeck

I'm don't really know what the link stuff on the conversion toolbar does.
I'm a little bit confused about your post so I'll ask some questions.
1. Do you know about the parent-child relations in electrical?
2. Is part of the problem that you don't understand how parent-child are linked?
3. Is part of the problem that one device has two catalog numbers like for example a relay with add-on contacts?
4. Or is it something else?

Sven Kloeck
Message 5 of 10
dbrblg

Hi Sven
I believe that I understand that child-parent relationship...

When you add a contact to a coil then you are presented with the option to link the contact to the coil; yes there are other circumstances but this is my undertanding of a child-parent relationship.

The part in question is a pushbutton comprising of a mounting body, contact, pushbutton and an illuminated body. As far as the schematics go the contact is a multi-catalog part comprising of all the mentioned parts, but there is also a schematic for the illumination but it is on a different page.

What I need to do is to link the illumination to the contact so that it is referenced as one single part, only it is separated in two places.

I would have hoped there was an option to link items in a similar fashion to the coil/contact example but maybe that is not available due to me adding the wrong part or perhaps the way I added the part???

Is this the information you are after?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Message 6 of 10
sven_kloeck

It's possible to do it like coil/contact. One of the components has to be the child (the illumination probably). Also it's easier if their family is the same. This way if you place the child and press the project button the right parents show up (there's also an option to show all families). If you want the cross-referencing to work the parent has to have a xref attribute. The child also has to have the xref attribute and the contact attribute.
I don't know if there are components in the standard library that could work like you would like (I don't use the standard library). I think you're gonna have to make a custom ones.

Sven Kloeck
Message 7 of 10
dbrblg

Hi Sven,

I was somewhat afraid you'd say that as I suspected this was where it was leading!!

Thanks very much for your help, it has been apreciated.

Kind regards
Message 8 of 10
nathan.anderson

if I'm understanding your question correctly, you should be able to use the "illuminated push button NO/NC" for your parent contact and insert the "2nd+ light" for your illumination. On insertion of the light you can click the "project" button and select your push button contact from the list. See the attached jpeg for a screen shot of the push button menu. You shouldn't have to use custom components for something as simple as an illuminated push button.
Message 9 of 10
dougmcalexander

Use the 2nd+ (i.e. child) function to insert the light. Associate the light
to the appropriate pushbutton using the parent-sibling, drawing, or project
buttons. Next go to the parent/pushbutton and add the BOM data for the
light and any other "sub-components" using the Multiple Catalog button
(allows you to nest up to 99 additional parts with the pushbutton). If you
always use the same pushbutton/light combination you might consider setting
up an assembly code relationship in the catalog database.

wrote in message news:5769512@discussion.autodesk.com...
if I'm understanding your question correctly, you should be able to use the
"illuminated push button NO/NC" for your parent contact and insert the "2nd+
light" for your illumination. On insertion of the light you can
click the "project" button and select your push button contact from the
list. See the attached jpeg for a screen shot of the push button menu. You
shouldn't have to use custom components for something as simple as an
illuminated push button.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 10 of 10
dbrblg

Thanks guys for your help.

It is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost