AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Footprints

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jboiler
439 Views, 3 Replies

Combining Footprints

I am working on a situation, for a back panel with footprints, where I want to select a component in the icon menu and once I select the desired component, say a circuit breaker (AB 140M-C2E-B40) I want other parts to be included as well such as a link module (AB 140M-C-PEK12) and an auxiliary contact (140M-C-ASA11). The ultimate goal would be to be able to select the first component and the other components footprints are included as well. I have worked at trying to figure this out with multiple catalogs, ASSEMBLYCODE, ASSEMBLYLIST, WBLOCK etc., but no luck. Another desired outcome is that they all keep the same TAG name. I have run out of ideas so any input would be very helpful.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: jboiler

This is accomplished via Assembly Code.  This method will add any additional compionents, hardware, etc. that must accompany the main part to the BOM when it is generated.  You will also create as many footprints as necessary to show the device in all configurations.  Enter the part number and assembly code into the Footprint Lookup database using the Footprint Database File Editor.  Be sure to include the assembly code in the field below the catalog number.  Make an entry for each variation of this part number/assembly.

For example, you might have a motor starter without an auxiliary contact.  No assembly code is required.  Enter the catalog number into the Footprint Database and browse to the footprint that shows the motor starter footprint block without an aux contact shown.  Next, enter the same motor starter into the catalog database with an assembly code that adds an auxiliary contact.  For example, if C320KGS1 is the part number for a normally-open auxiliary contact, you can even use C320KGS1 as the assembly code.  Be sure that C320KGS1 is also in the catalog database with an Assembly List value set to C320KGS1.  That takes care of getting both parts into the BOM.  Now use the Footprint Database File Editor to add an entry for the motor starter with an auxiliary contact.  Enter the same main part number as before, but this time enter C320KGS1 into the Assembly Code field.  Browse to a footprint block that shows the motor starter with an auxiliary contact.  Save and exit.

When you insert the footprint from the schematic list, AutoCAD Electrical will check the footprint lookup database for an exact match, including assembly code.  If the component from the schematic includes the assembly code C320KGS1, you will get the footprint that shows the auxiliary contact, if not, you get the plain footprint.  And yes, all parts share the same tag.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
sonny3g
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Doug, if I understand both your answer and his question correctly he needs to know that the parts will NOT be inserted individually. 

By that I mean that if he wants to insert a motor contactor as well as the overloads and a connector block with the same ID tag for the completed unit, he has to have a single block that includes the entire configuration. 

The assembly code will not cause the contactor to be inserted, then the overload block and then the connector block separately. 

The assembly code is geared more for BOM purposes.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 4 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: jboiler

Multiple footprints will not be inserted. The assembly code triggers the search for an alternate footprint. Two entries for the same part number will exist in the footprint lookup database, one without an assembly code, pointing to a plain footprint, while the other entry will have an assembly code, making it unique, and pointing to a different footprint that is the plain device with the optional subassembly added.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost