AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circuit Builder: Linking Components

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
testsubject
943 Views, 7 Replies

Circuit Builder: Linking Components

I already know how to set up so a child connects to the parent but now I am interested in automatically creating the "link" lines from symbol to symbol. I am inserting a cable with several children with it all in a row. I would typically then select "Link Components" and pick each symbol to "join" them on the print.

How do I do this with Circuit Builder?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
testsubject
in reply to: testsubject

I noticed something odd about setting up the Parent/Child relationship using Circuit Builder. I was inserting cables but I imagine this would be applicable with anything.

I set up my ACE_CB_CAM.dwg. Inside here I am inserting a cable with one parent and up to 11 children. I added _PRETAG=WD to the MISC1 attribute in all the appropriate marker blocks. They all have the same order code. When inserted they all take on the value of -360WD1 (for example). The strange part is that if I check for cross-refernces, they do not exist. Each symbol inserted is independent from the others. If I attempt to create the cross refernce by picking the parent for all the children, I lose the color code that I preloaded using "RATING1=color" in the COMMAND_LIST column of the spreadsheet.

I really wanted to be able to use Circuit Builder, but tthe more I try things the more work it is becoming. If I have to spend all this extra time "hand-fixing" the automated part, why bother?

I am attaching a copies of the files I am using for reference.

I really could use some help here.

Pat, Robin, anyone??

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 3 of 8
testsubject

More info.

It appears that the children do get linked (they show up together in Surfer). It is just the parent that is not linked to the children.

Also, looking at the XDATA for the Parent/Children, there are more items in the standard insertion that there is inserting from Circuit Builder.

Both sets Icon MEnu and Circuit Builder) have VIA_WD_ITEM but when inserted via the menu, the Parent has these extra items (VIA_WD_MAXNC, VIA_WD_MAXNO, VIA_WD_MAXNONC, VIA_WD_MAXTYPE4) and the child has VIA_WD_ITEM.

Hope this helps.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 4 of 8

Bob,

I will take a look at this and get back to you as soon as I can. 

Regards,

Pat

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8

Bob,

I took just a quick look and have some questions.

It looks like you are overriding the default FAMILY value of CBL with WD on just the parent cable marker. I think having a different FAMILY value on the parent and children could cause issues. I would assign it to the child markers also.

I didn't see any problems when using the surfer, it listed the parent and all the children. Can you provide a drawing after you run Circuit Builder on it and maybe add some notes on the drawing as to what to look at?

I don't see any published API calls to add the dashed lines. I will look further but it won't be until next week.

As far as the xdata you mention, the MAX* ones are used for predefined number of contacts. They are not used on a cable marker.

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 8

Pat,

After doing further testing I discovered, although not 100% repreatable, if I insert a circuit using Circuit Builder and then use Undo to remove it, then insert a new circuit, the new circuit's parent/child references are not updated, leaving the parent seperated from the children when Editing of Surfing.

As long as I insert the circuit after freshly opening the drawing, the Parent/Child relationship is established.

I was doing a lot of Insert/Undo cycles while testing out my circuit so I never noticed that it was okay when I first tried each day. I only started checking later in the day and had not closed and reopened the drawing to start with a fresh template each time.

Have you ever seen something like this before?

Thanks for the help.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 7 of 8
testsubject

Pat,

Scratch the last post. It was coincidental.

After many tests to day I did discover the culprit.

That bit of code that you wrote for me (for updating the via_wd_lnumber XDATA value) works fine if it is the first thing done when the circuit it inserted. If I try to do it again in a different part of the same worksheet later on in the build, it will cause the next insertion to not update any of the TAG values (i.e., the all stay XX01) and the cross references will not update.

This is repeatable. Quite a nasty one to track down. Smiley Happy

What I was trying to do was conditionally add another 3 level terminal later on in the build. That was what was making it so hard to nail down. Sometime it was enabled and other times it wasn't.

I would really like to continue using 3 level terminals so if you could give this a look I would appreciate it.

Here is the spreadsheet. The Worksheet I am developing is CAM.

On another note, I noticed that if I have more than one component being inserted during the same Code Order, if I use the lookup table to add MFG/CAT values to a part from the Configure dialog box, the data is put into the last part inserted. I had a device, and two cables being inserted conditionally with in the same Code Order and the I wanted to add data for the Device but it always ended up in the last cable inserted.

I had to change the entire insertion order which meant breaking the groups apart to give each part inserted its own Code Order. This was unfortunate because now, instead of only 2 parameters to select from I now have 7.

Just an FYI. There really needs to be a more fleshed out document on how to use Circuit Builder. I have spent approximately 2 weeks of trial and error to get to the point where I am starting to understand it. I know you are not directly responsible but if you could pass this on to the owers-that-bee, it would be nice.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 8 of 8
testsubject

Pat,

I think I got it licked!! I changed all the terminal options so that their Code Order was first in the insertion and now everything works great!

I will keep hammering at it but it seems pretty solid right now.

Now if we can only automate the linking... Smiley Wink

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost