AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Components - Terminals

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
STEVENAR
826 Views, 6 Replies

Child Components - Terminals

Hi,

Can someone advise if it is possible to create a child component of a terminal as we show the same terminals in two sets of drawings, so effectively it's the same terminals and not duplicated terminals.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
kghew1
in reply to: STEVENAR

Hi

Terminal symbols in AE dispense with TAG1 / TAG2 and instead use TAGSTRIP. Normally if a subsidiary symbol is required, e.g. for another deck in a multi-deck terminal, then a second identical symbol would be used, carrying the same value in the TAGSTRIP attribute, but with the TERMnn value reflecting which deck it related to.

I've done a fair bit lately on possible workarounds for a variety of terminal-ish issues, but I'm not sure I've grasped exactly what you're attempting - can you expand further on what you need to achieve ?

Regards

Keith H

Message 3 of 7
STEVENAR
in reply to: kghew1

Hi,

sorry for the delay in replying. I am just trying to prevent duplication of terminals. I needs the same block of terminals shown on two drawings. I just want to create another instance of the terminals without duplicating. Does the terminal symbol exist with the Tagstrip1 and Tagstrip2 attribute like the parent and child relationship Tag1 and Tag2? Do I need to customised the terminal symbol?

Thanks & regards

Message 4 of 7
kghew1

Hi again

Afraid you're out of luck with the TAGSTRIP1 / TAGSTRIP2 concept - 'cos there ain't no such animal.

If you don't need to use Terminal Strip Editor / Panel Builder, there is a possible workaround. In a recent application where schematics are exported straight to 3D modelling, we created terminals as 'components', with TAG1 / TAG2.

A further spin-off from this is that they now all come out in the same spreadsheet / report, instead of a terminals-only version, which has a different format to that for all the other components in a system, and thus requires massaging to provide an overall BOM / parts listing.

If you're stuck with the TAGSTRIP version, how about showing the duplicates but then copying / deleting / pasting as a block in the second drawings ? That way they'll look the same but won't get processed twice.

Regards

Keith H

Message 5 of 7
STEVENAR
in reply to: kghew1

I need to use the terminal strip editor. I was just reading about terminal assocation and tried it out. I selected the master terminal and associated another terminal with it, the tagstrip and terminal no's were aligned. However when I tried to update the master terminal the associated terminal did not update whereas the linkterm value was carried over. Not sure why it did not work as the footprint terminal updated.

I will need to just do a workaround for the project until I resolve this issue.

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 7
STEVENAR

Sorry I meant to ask. I take it when you paste as a block there will be no link between the terminals thus no automatic update?

Message 7 of 7
kghew1

Yep - no automatic update

- has to be done when your 'real' terminal details have been set in stone

Regards

Keith H

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost