AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing a layer on a line switches ALL lines to same layer

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
AcadE2014
803 Views, 7 Replies

Changing a layer on a line switches ALL lines to same layer

Hello All,

I have an issue with ALL layers switching when I change a single line to a different layer.

I have a PLC footprint that I am Placing the clearence space around it so it is easier to lay it out in a panel. That way I don't have to look up and measure the clearence each time.

So i open up Symbol Builder and add the PLC and explode it so the attributes are shown. NO problems i do this all the time. Then I add a box around the PLC and another box to represent the clearence needed. I then hatch the space inbetween the boxes to show the free air space needed. I explode the hatch so they are individual lines. I pick 1 line in the hatch and change its layer thru the properties.

The issue is that by changing the one line layer it changes ALL the other lines in both the exploded hatch and the exploded PLC.

My reson for wanting this on a different layer is so that I can turn off the layer to remove the clearance box around it after the panel is layed out so when the drawings are sent out they are not cluttered.

I am sure I am missing a simple step but can't figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dennis

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jalger
in reply to: AcadE2014

Hi Dennis,

Exploding the Blocks will reset the layers back to their original Setting (Usually Layer "0").

Try editing the block with the Block editor (you should be able to get to it from Home > Block > Edit, or type in bedit, then select the plc block)

It might be easier to open up the plc block directly in the Panel Library and add in your layer.

The Panel Library (for 2015) is located in:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Acade 2015\Libs

Try making your change directly in the file and let me know if you still see the same issue.

Regards,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 3 of 8
AcadE2014
in reply to: jalger

Since i first posted i when and tried opening the symbol and adding it free air boxes that way with the same results.

I think this is a corrupt ACAD install at this point.

In any drawing I open I tried putting 2 lines on the page,

click on one and open properties and change the layer.

the other one changes or at least says it changes when i click on it's properties.

I dont think the properties are changing for the simple fact that the color never changes to that layers color.

just to make sure I am doing it right ...

I click on a line and go to properties

A dialog box pops up with a header of Properties

I click on the layer box and a dropdown box appers with all the layers in that drawing.

I click on the layer i want to change that line to

press excape to unselect that line.

That should change the layer of that line correct?

Right now it says its changed but the color never changes and any other line/symbol/wire now say that layer when i click on their properties.

Thanks

Dennis

Message 4 of 8
jalger

Hi Dennis,

Can you post the block?

It could be locked, if its a nested layer.

If you thinks its corrupt, try running an "audit".

The Only other thing I can think of without seeing the file is to check that you do not have a property override on the line already.

(if the colour was set to green with the override it will alwalys stay green not matter what layer you set it to, until its cleared.)

Let me know,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 5 of 8
AcadE2014

This is happening on any and all drawings even new drawings with nothing on them but the 2 lines i put on them so it can't be just that block.

Is the way I am changing the properties correct???

About 2 weeks ago I installed the vault system and I had issues with it and our server so I uninstalled it. I am wondering if it corrupted the ACAD install somehow.

Thanks again for your help

Dennis

Message 6 of 8
jalger

Hi Dennis,

Its not the way I normally do it, but there is nothing wrong with that method (as far as I Know).

I use the Ribbon, Go to the Home tab > layers > layer dropdown.

But I just tried both ways and no issue.

The Vault shouldn't have corrupted the files.

CAUTION: 

Below is a last resort before re-installing, backup ANY customizations BEFORE you run the Suggested "RESET".

Before re-installing try using the "reset" command thats in the start menu (should be in the autodesk "folder").

If your on windows 8, I think you have to type in the name in the search window look for "Reset Settings to Default - AutoCAD Electrical Reset Settings to Default" ( not sure why Autodesk put Reset settings to default twice but thats what the file says.

As stated above backup before hand, as this will reset the program back to its default.

Any and all customizations will be removed,  so it should fix the problem if you think its related to a corrupted uninstall of the vault.

Regards,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 7 of 8
AcadE2014

Thanks

I have older resets from a few months ago. I export the settings every few months so I dont lose too many chages if I have to reset. I tried going back to an older version on my settings with no luck.

Thanks again I will try the default setting and see happens

Dennis

Message 8 of 8
AcadE2014

Tried reseting ACAD to defaults with no luck.

I ended up reinstalling ACAD E 2014 and that fixed the problem. It must have corrupted ACAD when I uninstalled the Vault.

Thanks for your help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost