AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Default Catalog Location

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jlr573
3382 Views, 4 Replies

Change Default Catalog Location

I'm in the process of moving catalogs and libraries to our server for everyone to share the same information.
I have the catalog (PCatalog.mdb) I want to share on the server and I have defined it as the secondary catalog for the project, but I would like to change the file path that ACADE looks for the catalog default.mdb and replace it with the location of PCatalog.mdb (no longer using as secondary catalog). I have tried doing this in the wd.env file but have not had any success, I've also tried changing the support file paths to point to the server. I know this isn't difficult but I'm missing one part to the puzzle.

Please help,
Thank you
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: jlr573

To share AcadE project files over network.

1. Copy the local AeData folder and all subfolders to your network path.

Note: Do not rename the default_cat.mdb file. The secondary catalog can be any name but leave the main catalog as default_cat.mdb.

2. Go to AcadE Options and add the network path as the top line of the Support File Search Path.

3. Change the name of the local AeData folder to something like AeData_local. (This stops ACadE from finding the local path.

AcadE will not find the local AeData folder so it will search the path in the Support File Search Path and find the network version of AeData. Once it finds AeData it can locate the catalogs, PLC content, and project files. You do not need to modify the wd.env at all. That is optional in case you want to change other things, like the default path for custom symbols when you click Browse from the Insert Component menu. Or you may want to set the program to automatically zoom extents when you click the previous and next page buttons - things like that.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
azlin

the catalog lookup can directly get from the new location in server, however the symbol still capture from the local, how to get it capture from the new location.
Message 4 of 5
dougmcalexander

The location for symbols is defined in the Project Properties. If you place a symbol folder on your network and assign the Project Properties to look in that location, AcadE will pull symbols from your network folder.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hi azlin/all

Another location
you may take a look at for more details is in the help, under the section for
"Advanced Productivity".  Here, you will find information labeled "Set up
AutoCAD Electrical for multiple users".  I have attached some screenshots
to help with locating this information in case you haven't come across it
before.

I hope you find it
helpful!

--
--
==================
Jared 
Bunch                        

Product
Designer                

Autodesk,
Inc.                     

==================

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
The
location for symbols is defined in the Project Properties. If you place a
symbol folder on your network and assign the Project Properties to look in
that location, AcadE will pull symbols from your network
folder.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost