AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Lookup Freezing

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
hanchris
2562 Views, 23 Replies

Catalog Lookup Freezing

I cannot seem to access any of the catalog tables. I can insert the component just fine and enter in all data on the individual component level; but the second I hit the "Lookup" button AutoCADE freezes on me.

We have our catalog on the server (that I have access to) and I have tried doing this from another computer and it works find. I have turned on the command trace (aeonlispdebug), on the working computer and on the problem computer and it appears the same commands are being run. I have attached a screen image of the problem trace because this causes AutoCADE to freeze. It does not go into a "Not Responding" state, just a frozen (waiting) state.

Under my assessment it looks like everything is running fine in AutoCAD, except for the point where the catalog dialog box is brought up. This would explain, why AutoCAD stays responsive and the catalog file becomes locked out (with an *.ldb file). It looks like it might be a problem with that catalog lookup dialog box.

Is the dialog box that is brought up with the "Lookup" button a .dcl file or some side file like that, which I can possibly search for to see if it is there and/or copy it from another machine?

And I know this next question probably will get me no where; but does anyone have any ideas, leads of what else could be causing this problem? I am using AutoCAD: Electrical 2009 on a 64-bit system, which is actually when the problem started.

Thanks.
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
hanchris
in reply to: hanchris

So, for what it is worth it is not just the catalog lookup button that freezes AutoCAD. I tried inputting the information manually and then using the Drawing lookup button (for the next part) and I still get the same error.

Any ideas?
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous

Does this happen for all catalog values selected or specific ones on
specific types of components. I think there was a reported issue related to
values in the catalog database in the TEXTVALUE column.

Pat Murnen

wrote in message news:6291823@discussion.autodesk.com...
So, for what it is worth it is not just the catalog lookup button that
freezes AutoCAD. I tried inputting the information manually and then using
the Drawing lookup button (for the next part) and I still get the same
error.

Any ideas?
Message 4 of 24
hanchris

No, it seems to be happening for all or at least all parts, which I have tried.

Although, just out of curiosity, what is the TEXTVALUE column for since it seems to be blank in a lot (if not all) of the catalogs?
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous

This column allows you to pre-assign attribute values when that particular
catalog is selected. For example, you could preassign a RATING1 value for a
fuse.

Pat Murnen

wrote in message news:6292276@discussion.autodesk.com...
No, it seems to be happening for all or at least all parts, which I have
tried.

Although, just out of curiosity, what is the TEXTVALUE column for since it
seems to be blank in a lot (if not all) of the catalogs?
Message 6 of 24

Hello Hanchris,

May I ask you some questions about this issue? Thank you very much.

1. I got the information from another catalog lookup issue, seems you are using XP x64 OS which has the problem, right?

2. Is there any other Autodesk product in that problem PC besides ACE 2009 now? Please let me know the products names and versions if there are.

3. Whether there was some previous released ACE installed in that PC? Such as ACE 2007 or 2008, etc.

4. The catalog on the server is shared by your group? And whether you need to access the shared catalog at the same time? If others are not using that shared catalog, whether the problem is still there?

5. You mentioned it works well in another computer, whether that computer install ACE 2009 on x64 bit OS too? Is it XP or Vista OS?

Thanks,
Helen
Message 7 of 24
hessbs

I noticed this also and remembered that I had to set a couple of defaults in the options/files tab/Support file search path. Try setting the catalog lookup as one of the top settings in the series. When I did this, the catalog lookup did not lockup or delay in looking for the catalog database files.
Message 8 of 24
hanchris

Helen,
1. Yes that is correct

2. I have standard AutoCAD 2009 (not the one that comes with Electrical). I also have AutoCAD Electrical 2010 and it is happening on both. I also have the other "free" programs that come with Electrical (Vault, TrueView, etc)

3. There have been no other previous releases since I got XP 64-bit, which was a reformat

4. It is on the network that is secured but I have write access. Also when I have the issue I know it tries to open the database because the LDB file come on. I then have to sign onto a 32-bit machine to unlock the database.

5. The only other computer I have tested this on is on a 32-bit XP machine, with AutoCADE 2009 and 2010.
Message 9 of 24
hanchris

Thanks, I will try that when I get back. I am currently at Autodesk's University.
Message 10 of 24

Hello Hanchris,

Wish you have a great time in AU!

I tried with some side-by-side products about this issue, but so far this issue is not able to reproduce in my test machines.
However I will have a try with your with the products you mentioned on XP x64 OS again and keep you updated.
In your XP x32 bit OS the one with ACADE 2009 and 2010, there is no such issue, right?

And do you mind if there are some screenshots or video for this issue based on your XP x64 OS for me reference?

Best regards,
Helen
Message 11 of 24
hanchris

The machine I use that is just Windows XP 32-bit has AutoCAD: Electrical 2009 only and it works as it is suppose to. It is actually how I am able to continue to stay productive during all this.

I do not have any easy video or screenshot software (cannot get the free programs because of IT); but I can tell you the message I get look exactly like the working version (even with debug mode on), except no catalog window ever comes up. I did take a screen shot of the command line in one of my first post (commandline.jpg)

I have done some more test and copied the catalog to my project directory and renamed it _cat.mdb and still have the same issue. I also have the issue when I try surfing the project. However, if I type in the catalog number manually (say a AB relay) and then insert contacts it can read the pinlist; but I cannot press the List button or the program freezes. I can read the project databases from the Edit Component menu, when I click Project/Drawing buttons around the Catalog area, Location area, Tag area.

I am probably going to try to uninstall all Autodesk software from this machine and reinstall it.
Message 12 of 24

Hello Hanchris,

May I know how's the status of your PC for the Catalog Lookup now?
Does it work well now?

Best regards,
Helen
Message 13 of 24
hanchris

It does not look good. I still have not solved the problem on this computer and the more I dig into the more I think it is my Window's profile. It is not happening on any other computer and people have been saying to delete my Windows profile since the beginning; but it was at the beginning and I did not want to do something that drastic, until I have exhusted my other options.

I think I have exhusted my other options, although I am still open to suggestions, at least until the new year, when I call our IT department to delete my Windows Profile. 😞

I will keep your updated.
Message 14 of 24

Hello Hanchris,

Before your ask your IT to delete your Windows Profile, maybe firstly you want to ask your IT for help to create a new Windows account in your PC and then launch ACE to check whether the issue can reproduce or not.

If the new account cannot reproduce this issue, it will be good.
If still can reproduce, maybe need to consider other way but not delete your Windows profile.

Best regards,
Helen
Message 15 of 24
ChuckACE

Just had the same problem on my machine with ACE 2011. Somebody know if the answer has been found? It's been 7 months since the last post.

I tried to create a new account on my computer and it works fine. Probably there is a file in the application data folder that is corrupt, but which one. I wiil try to repair the software and let you know if something happens. if not i will have to delete my account and create a new one. Too bad, big loss of time 😞

Regards,

Charles

Message 16 of 24
sparker

Has anyone found a resolution for this issue?  I have recently downloaded an evaluation copy of ACE 2011, 64 bit, and find that after an install, it works fine until I pick certain blocks.  I have not found a pattern to the affected blocks.  After selecting one of the "defective" blocks, the database seems to be frozen, even for items that have already worked properly.  Uninstall and re-installation seem to correct the issue until I stumble on to another "defective" block.

Thanks,

Message 17 of 24
ChuckACE

Si sparker,

I am trying to find an answer to this question cause we have a lot of problem with all our user on ACE 2011. Is it the first version of Autocad that you have install on your computer or you had previously ACE 2010 or ACE 2009? It seems that all of our user have problems with the service WSCommCtnr2.exe and the previous WSCommCtnr1.exe.

Please let me know if you had a previous version berfore installing ACE 2011.

Thanks

Message 18 of 24
sparker

Regarding catalog look up issue:  I have ACAD LT loaded and it works fine.  This is first copy of ACE that I have loaded.  I have a colleague that is using ACE 2007 on a similar machine and he does not have any issues.  I am bothered that this seems to be a long standing issue, based on this discussion thread.

Message 19 of 24
RolandPanken

Hi,

Is there already a solution found for it, without deleting the user profile?

I'm using Windows 7 (64bits) with AutoCAD Electrical 2009

Message 20 of 24
RolandPanken
in reply to: RolandPanken

Searched in another topic, called "Catalog lookup problem" and found the answer.

See the copy below, thanks to RhesusMinus!!

Hi.

It can be that the dialog is placed outside the screen. I've experienced that a few times myself. If you have a multi screen setup, you're likely to experience this. (especially if you're running AcadE om "monitor 2")

You could try the following:

- Start regedit
- go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R17.2\​ACAD-7007:409\Ace_disp_cat_info_mdb
- Set values for both nTopLeftX3 and nTopLeftY3 to 0

Check to see if your "lookup dialog" returns in the upper left corner of your screen now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost