AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I rename drawings in an AutoCAD Electrical project?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Midnight412
2692 Views, 4 Replies

How can I rename drawings in an AutoCAD Electrical project?

I am having trouble renaming 2 drawing files in a project. The names I want to use were existing drawings, that I removed from the project. The 2 drawings were the wrong version, and I am trying to put in the correct versions.

Example. I had drawing MyProject-A06.dwg. I removed it from the project using project manager. I then added the drawing I needed, OtherProject-A06.dwg, again, using the project manager. Now, when I try to rename OtherProject-A06.dwg to MyProject-A06.dwg, I get AutoCAD message "Rename Failed" with yellow triangle! and then the entire folder pathname for the file.

For now, I renamed OtherProject-A06.dwg to MyProject-A06a.dwg. I need to get the name corrected however.

I'm guessing that somewhere in the project file, there is some remnent of the original drawing files name that I removed, but I don't know where to look for it or how to fix it. Does anyone know what to do for this?

@Midnight412 

The topic title has been edited to improve findability by @alina.balkanskaia. Original: Cannot Rename Drawings In a Project

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
algerj
in reply to: Midnight412

Hi Midnight412,

By the sounds of it, you merely removed the drawing from the project.

The psychical Drawing Still exists in:

C:\Users\<user Name>\Documents\Acade 2014\AeData\Proj\<your projects name>

You will have to Remove/rename the Drawing in the Project file folder before you can create a new one with the same name.

I hope this helps,

James Alger

Message 3 of 5
algerj
in reply to: algerj

One more thing,

If you deleted the drawings before removing them from the project then it will still have a marker at the bottom of the WDP file. (it points to the drawing name)

You can remove the text the points to the specific drawing, and it will remove the link.

Regards,

James Alger

Message 4 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: algerj
Message 5 of 5
OrionHE
in reply to: cbenner

That solved it for me! Thanks for taking the time to state the fairly obvious. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost