AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable source & destination fan out.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
imoneluckyman
1109 Views, 15 Replies

Cable source & destination fan out.

I am wanting to fan out a cable & source it to another drawing. I don't understand how to use the Fan In/Out Source & Destination Markers. When I try to use these markers, it combines all of my conductors to have the same wire number & color. I need to keep all conductors seperate from one sheet to the next. Please explain.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
rhesusminus
in reply to: imoneluckyman

I would really, REALLY reccomend that you take a class in AutoCAD Electrical to learn this, and other functionalities of AcadE.

However, Doug McAlexander has already covered this here. A quick SEARCH (you should try it!) gives you THIS: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Electrical/Fan-in-Fan-out-tutorial/m-p/1820380/highlight/true#...

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 16
jmartof
in reply to: imoneluckyman

Well Gee a quick search brought me here.... to find and answer.... and all I see is a bunch of " it's allready answered / you should take a class comments" ....  How can anybody find anything on this site ... as it's all full of people asking question and NO ONE answering directly.   Please Autodesk go to WOWHEAD.com  and learn what a properly manage  Discussion Site LOOKS like. 

Message 4 of 16
sstrecker
in reply to: jmartof

Agreed.  I didn't pay almost $700 to subscribe to this forum just to be told to take a class.

Message 5 of 16
testsubject
in reply to: sstrecker

I am not sure why you think you had to pay $700 to subscribe to the forum because it is free and we are not AutoCAD employees. In fact only a handful of AutoCAD employees even check this forum. The majority of us are users, just like yourself, who take the time out of our busy schedules to help each other out. Occasionally, we get requests from people that need more help than we can offer and suggest they take a class because this is a very complex piece of software requiring approx. 3 months to get proficient enough to start using it effectively.

Pardon us if we "come off' a little gruff at times...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 6 of 16
sstrecker
in reply to: testsubject

I had to buy the ACE subscription and this forum came with it as a consolaion prize 🙂

Message 7 of 16

This is a user forum hosted (paid for) by Autodesk.  There is no fee to sign up.  You can view all you like, but to post on the forum you must join, but there is no fee.  I wish they would charge a fee because there have been those who post misinformation in at attempt to attract people to a competitive software instead.  The competitors only allow registered users of their software to access their support forums.  But this one has always been free.  And yes, some things are better understood in a classroom setting where you can see, touch, and feel, and get help from an instructor.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 8 of 16

Does anyone here know how to use the fan in/out tool? There doesn't seem to be any documentation.
Message 9 of 16

I have posted about this before. Try searching this forum for information about Fan in and fan out.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 10 of 16

I think some of the confusion is not knowing what it can do. Can the fan in/out tool: 1. automatically generate the nice "fan in fan out" shaped objects that unite separate wires onto one wire? or, is it the case that the fan in/out tool only 2. manages the wire tags and connections after MANUALLY drawing all the "fan in fan out" elements? Knowing this would help me in the search for documentation, because if #2 is the case, then I'll give up the search for #1. I've seen some nice drawings that seem like they'd be something CAD makes on the fly, but maybe that's not true.
Message 11 of 16

I'm driving so I can't elaborate too much on the subject. But if you search this forum I actually posted example drawings with instructions for the fan in and fan out feature.

Doug McAlexander

Message 12 of 16

I also highly recommend you take an official training course in AutoCAD Electrical.  You lose so much productivity trying to figure it out on your own, and even searching through this forum.  Many of us on this forum are able to help because we completed an official training course.  I offer entry-level, administrative-level, and advanced-level training for AutoCAD Electrical.  I travel the world teaching this software.  I also assist with the implementation of the software and offer phone/e-mail support via a prepaid plan.  My courses cover just about every subject that gets asked about on this forum, including fan-in/fan-out.

If you visit the Tips/Tricks page of my web site, I have an overview of how I use fan-in/fan-out to document cables  Visit: www.ecadconsultant.com

Doug McAlexander

Message 13 of 16
rhesusminus
in reply to: A2u1t5o9desk

Hi A2u1t5o9desk.

The answer to your question is 2 (not 42 Smiley Very Happy)

AcadE will only aid you in drawing these fan in/outs manually.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 14 of 16
A2u1t5o9desk
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thanks!  That helps a lot.  The thing is, it looked like something ACADE might do automatically (like the way you can do a multiple insert of terminals and there's a little animated cut-scene while it populates them), combined with what looked like possible underdocumentation.  So I was searching in vain for something not there.  @Doug, I really wish you wouldn't text while driving.

Message 15 of 16

Ha! Ha! I was speaking, not typing. But as soon as I stopped, I wrote the more detailed response. Thanks for caring!

Doug McAlexander

Message 16 of 16
drathak
in reply to: testsubject

@testsubject wrote:

this is a very complex piece of software requiring approx. 3 months to get proficient enough to start using it effectively.

Pardon us if we "come off' a little gruff at times...

Three months???  I've been working with this for a couple of years and at times still feel a bit lost.  And yes, we DID have official training, but we don't manufacture motor control panels so I pretty much started off from scratch.

However I just issued my first substation completely designed in ACADE, so it can be done.  (Mostly by reading and asking questions here.)

But yeah, the search function does work pretty well.  In fact, Doug's tutorial is the first hit for "Fan-in" in the search tool.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost