AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cable lengths - how to enter

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
pmccutcheon
2619 Views, 9 Replies

cable lengths - how to enter

I'm looking for a method to enter the length of cable required and get it on the BOM.

Suppose I put a cable marker in the drawing.
Obvious thing to do seems to enter the CAT and MANU numbers.

But there is no way to enter a QTY for a top level parent item (always QTY 1).

I suppose I could use the multi-BOM, add exactly the same cable part number again, and enter the length there. but this seems clumsy

(Recap: top items do not allow qty, multi-bom items do allow qty on the sub-items)

anybody handled this problem already?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pmccutcheon
in reply to: pmccutcheon

WISH: should be able to enter a QTY for top level items, not just for multibom, at least for cables
Message 3 of 10

I don't know if this will help you but I export wire lists to an Access database that has added fields for wireway routing, wire terminal type, and wire length. This goes to the panel shop for the prototype build, where they determine the exact lengths for each wire, based upon the order it is placed into the wireways. For mass-produced panels this information helps define a core wiring harness. They fill in the exact lengths as they wire the prototype. I get the database back when they finish. I have a menu choice in the database that totals up the exact footage needed for each wire type and cable type, and for each type of termination device. I can then do a cost analysis based on the going rate for the raw materials and determine whether or not the panel shop is making a fair profit or whether they might be padding it too much. I will not farm out to a panel shop that will not work in this fashion. This method helped reduce a $20,000 control panel down to $15,000.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 10
pmccutcheon

If you insert the cable as a footprint in a panel layout, you can enter the length (QTY) when you edit the footprint.
Message 5 of 10
jmburge

Had any luck with this? I'm trying to get length on parent markers as well.
Message 6 of 10

Generate your BOM and click Edit Mode. Select the line for your cable part number and click Edit. Enter something like 39IN in QTY if you want 39-inches of cable. See attached. I also capture the cable length on my wire list. Click change report format and add the CLEN field from the available fields list. The CLEN stands for calculated length. You can rename it if you wish, once you move it to the "fields to report" window. You can go to edit mode and enter the length for any wire you wish.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 7 of 10
jmburge

Thanks for your reply. I found another way to do it if you are using ACADE 2007.

Components>Attributes>Add Attribute
Select Parent Cable Marker
Name Attribute CLEN
Enter Value 25 FT
Specify Height, Justification, Visibility and OK
Place Attribute where you want it
Project>Reports>User Define Attribute List
Add CLEN to the Attribute Tag Column or Pick the Attribute in the DWG
Select OK
Run Cable Summary Report
Select the Change Report Format Button
Select CLEN out of the list and then OK
The 25 FT will show for the Cable

I have been told that this should work for any report as long as the symbol is applied to the report.
Message 8 of 10
John

How do you insert the cable as a footprint? Have you created a footprint block for this?

It's not that I need to indicate the cable length in my case - just to help the wireman by indicating which wires are part of a cable.

John
Message 9 of 10
jmburge

Horizon,
All you would have to do is create a footprint with wire connections and then run the "wire annotation of panel footprint" tool (see attachment). I do this for push buttons, pilot lights, selector switches, etc. to make life easier for the guys in our panel shop. To indicate which wires are part of a cable, it has been my practice to use the "cable from/to" report. This report can give you a detailed list of cable markers in the schematics along with other info such as wire numbers, cable tags, mfg, cat, etc.
Message 10 of 10
trvrprtr
in reply to: jmburge

This method worked for the Cable Summary report but for some reason it doesn't work for the Cable From/To report.  The CLEN column appears in the report but no values are reported.  Would this be correct?  Could it be because the From/To report includes child components as well as Parents?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost