AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable and harness details in 2D?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
keithjk
950 Views, 3 Replies

Cable and harness details in 2D?

I have posted similar questions on Inventor Cable and Harness but am taking a different angle with this question....

We currently do our panel layouts in a 2D enviroment and have approximately 1500 standard footprints that we use.  At this time, we do not show any cable or wiring routing within our panel drawings.  I have reviewed Inventor Cable and Harness (and it seems like a great tool).  However, there are obviously costs associated with this route not to mention the time to convert all of our blocks to 3D.

Any suggestions on how to provide wiring and harnessing details in 2D?  Any software packages out there that work with Electrical?  I have lots of AutoCAD programming experience and could possible create something on my own but it sounds like a huge undertaking.

Looking for ideas....

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ruelbn
in reply to: keithjk

I have the same issue and would like to know how AutoCAD Electrical handles the routing of cables.  If its not possible can someone please answer. 

Thanks

RBN

Message 4 of 4
ccad2509
in reply to: keithjk

I think you need to be thinking about where the software will be 5 years down the road

hopefully!!!!!!! They will get the inventor/Acade link to the same level as the current inventor/Eplan link

By looking on manufactures websites you can get stp/iges files for most components now so you can import the 3d models into AutoCad then its just a matter annotating them with the correct attributes

that way your ready when the link works properly that being said I did figure out a way to do 3d wire routing now but it will be only any good if your building the same equipment again and again as the routing is initially high in man hours

but the best harness software i have seen is this

http://www.te.com/en/products/harnware.html

if its good enough for aerospace and the military then its good enough for me

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost