AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM & Multiple Catalog

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
hanchris
1169 Views, 14 Replies

BOM & Multiple Catalog

Is there a way to display the items under "Multiple Catalog" as a quantity? I would hope that it could be under the Qty attribute; but am willing to do a little user post writing if AutoCAD calculated this total under a different variable.

If that is not the case and AutoCAD: Electrical does not sum up "Multiple Catalog" items, then can someone tell describe how AutoCAD see these parts, so perhaps I can write a LISP routine myself.

I use AutoCAD: Electrical 2009, with the Item per part number box check.

I will appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
hanchris
in reply to: hanchris

Alright, I still would like to know if there is any programming way around this; but I think I understand the "Multiple Catalog" option of 2009.

I was able to get a quantity, by using Nate's User Post that comes with AutoCAD. Thanks. However, I am at another impasse, I realize that AutoCAD still associated that "Multiple Catalog" with the base catalog (the physical block).

So, in my case I have a few blocks where the same multiple catalog number is used twice, for 2 different base numbers. However, AutoCAD calls out that one Item number in two lines.

Did you understand this? Is it possible to merge those two Item numbers, to one line, of the report?

Thanks.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

I have the same problem and need some help. 2009 SP2.
I do a Panel Reports - normal tallied format.
I get the sub quanities to display correctly by selecting the USER POST Qty x Subqty.
I need Ref 01 and Ref 02 to display only once.
The attached drawing shows these items displayed twice.
I wish someone could help me display the BOM correctly because I really like using the multiple catalog feature.
Message 4 of 15
rhesusminus

Try running the report with the display option: "Display in Tallied Purchase List Format"

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks for the help.
Running the report with the display option: "Display in Tallied Purchase List Format"
works for me.
Message 6 of 15
AMT_electrical

Ken,

Do you get multiple item numbers when you do this in the tallied purchase list format?
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

I do not get multiple item numbers when I do this in the tallied purchase list format.
:)
I deleted the old panel bill of material report.
Purged table styles.
Did a project rebuild/freshen project database.
Will it work again - I hope so.
Message 8 of 15
breierg

any lisp or user post available to solve this problem, I like the multiple item feature but dont use it because of the BOM problem. Just looking for a tallied BOM.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Can you be specific on what the issue is? Which
report, schematic or panel, what options are you using? What are the results?
What do you expect the results to be? What version of AcadE?

Pat Murnen

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
any
lisp or user post available to solve this problem, I like the multiple item
feature but dont use it because of the BOM problem. Just looking for a tallied
BOM.
Message 10 of 15
breierg

Good Morning Pat

We have talked before on this issue, and I have a user post from you to try an solve the problem, which it does but I cant seem to get rid of the extra rows in the BOM structure

I run panel reports in 2009 SP2 using multiple items. I would like a tallied BOM with the multiple items showing up as one item with a tallied qty.

Running a Normal tallied report---the multiple items are reported under the parent part

running a purchase list you get a number of blank rows equaling the qty of the multiple item below the tallied multiple item which cannot be deleted
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Ok. Now I remember. Yes I did log this issue. I
couldn't find a way to get rid of those extra lines using the User Post.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Pat

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Good
Morning Pat We have talked before on this issue, and I have a user post from
you to try an solve the problem, which it does but I cant seem to get rid of
the extra rows in the BOM structure I run panel reports in 2009 SP2 using
multiple items. I would like a tallied BOM with the multiple items showing up
as one item with a tallied qty. Running a Normal tallied report---the multiple
items are reported under the parent part running a purchase list you get a
number of blank rows equaling the qty of the multiple item below the tallied
multiple item which cannot be deleted
Message 12 of 15
breierg

Any way to get a true tallied BOM report using multiple items?
Message 13 of 15
dougmcalexander

An excerpt from my training material...

How to get subassembly parts into the BOM with their own unique item number: With version 2009 of AutoCAD Electrical ® you can assign an item number to parts listed under Multiple Catalog. Take for example a 1794-TB3 terminal board for A-B Flx I/O. However the problem is that this part may appear as a multiple catalog item under several "master parts", such as 1794-IB16, 1794-IR8, etc. AutoCAD Electrical ® 2009 normally displays all Multiple Catalog items beneath each master part they are associated with. This is because AutoCAD Electrical ® is reasoning that you want to see all components associated with each unique component Tag. But with a Tallied Purchase List Format you don't want to see Tag associations. Instead you only want a sum total quantity for each part number. You would not want to see 1794-TB3 listed in the BOM more than once, but only once with a sum total. In other words you want to see each Item number listed once on the BOM. Currently with AutoCAD Electrical ® 2009, even if you select a Tallied Purchase List Format, without the Tag column, you will still see a listing and sub-quantity for each 1794-TB3, under its associated master part. For example if the 1794-IB16 is item number 76 and the 1794-TB3 is item number 77, listed under Multiple Catalog, you would see them listed together and that would seem right. But then your 1794-IR8 might be item number 78 and in its Multiple Catalog list would be item number 77 again, because the 1794-TB3 is listed as a Multiple Catalog part under the 1794-IR8 as well as under the 1794-IB16. I know it looks strange because with the Tallied Purchase List Format you expect to only see each item number listed once.

Here is how I have gotten around this issue during the years that I have been using AutoCAD Electrical ®. I have had this scenario with fuses and fuse holders, control relays and their bases and clips, and with such parts as the 1794-TB3 Flex I/O terminal board.

What you have to do is think about the real world. Let’s say we want to produce a Panel BOM, which takes into account hardware items not normally shown in the schematic. I know this will take longer but this work-around will give you one listing per part number on your BOM. First of all forget using Assembly Codes or Multiple Catalog. These will not provide the report format you seek. There are two alternative approaches:

1> Insert a Generic Marker from the Panel Layout menu. A Generic Marker is basically a footprint with attributes but no geometry. You will see the MFG and CAT attributes that you assign. You can manually type in the tag of the master part it goes with if you want it to be a “surf-able” entity associated with the master part. I place the Generic Marker above or below by Flex I/O footprint. The footprint looks like a Flex I/O module plugged into a 1794-TB3 terminal board. So the master part number is assigned to the footprint. I then insert a Generic Mark above or below the Flex I/O footprint and assign MFG as AB and CAT as 1794-TB3. I manually type in the Tag assignment of the master that this 1794-TB3 is associated with. I leave the quantity at 1. I also assign an Item Number. I will insert a Generic Marker next to each of the Flex I/O footprints. Each will have a different Tag assignment but will carry the same MFG, CAT assignment. This will result in one listing for each Item Number, regardless of the master part it is associated to.

2> This method is “real-world”. You think of your panel footprints in pieces. For example, the 1794-TB3 is installed in the panel and the 1794-IB16 is then plugged into it. In the case of a control relay, you install the relay base, then the relay, and finally the clips. So with this method I actually create multiple footprints that each carry a complete compliment of Panel Footprint Attributes and are inserted one on top of the other, as if I were the panel shop technician installing the components. So in the case of the Flex I/O and its terminal board I split the Flex I/O footprint into two separate blocks, one to represent the 1794-TB3 terminal board and the other to represent whichever module will plug into it, such as 1794-IB16 or 1794-IR8. After I split the footprint into separate blocks I use the Symbol Builder to add the complete array of panel footprint attributes to them. I use a common base point for each footprint block so I can overlay them accurately. I usually insert the base device using the Browse feature on the Panel Layout Insert Footprint menu. I list the actual PLC module in the footprint lookup database and it is thus inserted using the Insert Footprint from Schematic List function on the Panel Layout toolbar. In other words, the actual part number that is common to both the schematic and the panel layout is the 1794-IB16 so this is the one I enter into the Footprint Lookup database. But the terminal board will only appear in the panel layout, so it gets inserted as a separate footprint using the Browse button. You can insert the terminal boards before inserting the modules (if you know how many you need), or you can insert the terminal board after you have inserted the module footprints.

Either of these methods will result in one listing per Item number/part number on the Panel BOM and a total quantity for that part.

Copyright (c) 2007 Douglas R. McAlexander All rights reserved. Edited by: dougmcalexander on Mar 11, 2009 9:26 PM

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

I like option #2, but can you block (link) the separate footprints together, after they are placed? Block does not work, so what other options exist? This would be ideal, just in case you wanted to move the assembly, rather than each footprint individually. For example, a pushbutton could consist of multiple footprints like the Operator, Metal Latch, NO Contact Blocks, NC Contact Blocks, Light, Legend Plate . . . Also, some of these footprints would have a P_Tag (Operator) and others (Rest) would not. So, can multiple footprints be linked together (like a block) and still have the ability to edit them individually?

Option #1 . . . what is a generic marker? I can insert a footprint (Icon Menu), but I do not see the option to select a generic marker. Are you talking about a nameplate that is generic?
Message 15 of 15
dougmcalexander

The Generic Marker is the first choice under the Panel Layout>Insert Footprint>Manual menu. Instructions and screen shots for using the Generic Marker can be found at www.ECADConsultant.com. Click on the Tips/Tricks page, and look for the article entitled, "How to get AutoCAD Electrical® subassembly parts into the BOM with unique item numbers".

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost