AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Fields

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
466 Views, 9 Replies

BOM Fields

New job running and new to 2008 electrical. I can get the BOM to get everything I need but one.

When I go to the Change Report Format button. On the left hand side It says Lines for DESCRIPTION. And allows you to select fields not specified in fields to report.

I thought this meant when you have a block with a description attribute it would appear in the BOM, or substitue another block attribute for the description field.

Neither is working for me though.

Anyone have an explanation? Or knows how to get an additional field in the BOM?

Jim

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
testsubject
in reply to: Anonymous

The description field that is being referenced refers to the description from the database, not the symbol. What fields are in the "Available Fields" section? DESC1, 2, 3 should be in there. These can be added to the report as separate columns in the report.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: testsubject

All of the regular fields are in the Available Fields window with radio buttons for each.

We are already using the DESC1, DESC2 and DESC3 fields. I set the description field to DESC but all I get is a blank results on the BOM.

Message 4 of 10
testsubject

I have to ask; do the components exist in the default_cat.mdb and if so, is there a descrtiption for each in the "DESCRIPTION' field of the database?

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I'm not an Electrical expert by any means 🙂 So no I do not think so, I'm pretty sure there is no default_cat.mdb for this project.

I went ahead and changed the blocks and drawing to have a DESC field attribute. But even adding that field to the list in the Change Report Format window didn't work. The BOM creates a collumn for DESC but it does not read the attribute values.

Message 6 of 10
testsubject

That answers my question, I think. If you click on the Lookup button, it will take you to the default_cat.mdb database. From there, you need to add all the components from your panel (or schematic) that you are trying to get a BOM for. As I mentioned before, the Description comes from this database. Until you fill this in, the DESC field will be blank. Keep in mind that the catalog and manufacturer have to match exactly what is in the database or the BOM will not create properly. In fact, you may already have some of the components that you use in the database but the MFG and CAT values that you filled in (I am making an assumtion here) do not match so it is coming in blank.

I recommend that you just pick any random parts from the catalog so that you can see how the database is structured. After you have done this, it might make more sense.

The Database is sorted into tables based on families; i.e., CR for relays, SS for selector switches, DS for disconnect Switches, etc.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Bob

Help! Look up Button?

Message 8 of 10
testsubject

Jim,

When you are in Insert/Edit Component dialog box, there is a lookup button that will take you to the parts database. See Below.

lookup.jpg

I hope this helps. You may want to take a class in how to use the software. It is pretty complex and not really recommended that you just jump in and try to "figure it out". You will waste a lot of time that way.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks Bob. I was afraid that was the case. I've been a ACAD user for over twenty five years now. But most of my work has been AEC. I'm even certified in AutoCAD Architectural.

But times change and a the new job is at an Engineering office and I need to et up to speed with Electrical. Guess I'll have to look for the tutorials.

Jim

Message 10 of 10
testsubject

Jim,

I feel for you. You will be throwing about 80% of what you know away to use ACE. It is a different animal from vanilla ACAD.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost