AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

block created but doesnt scoot correctly

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
macdog28273
807 Views, 16 Replies

block created but doesnt scoot correctly

I have a block that I have created and the attributes have been placed in the block correctly to make it scoot in the downward vertical direction.(Ie X8term01 thru X8term18) The problem is that the block scoots going north but going south it stops at the same point and wont go to the end of the wire. Has anyone had this problem and how do I fix it? I have recreated the block but it does the same thing.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Icemanau
in reply to: macdog28273

I have this problem occasionally.

It's caused by a short section of wire that connects to the block's connection point and then to the end of the wire next to it.

I've found it mostly occurs when I scoot a section of wire into line with the rest of it.

To fix, run a dwg audit from the Projects, Reports menu. This will remove any zero length wire segments.

If that doesn't work, try running the overkill command then do a complete project rebuild.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 17
macdog28273
in reply to: Icemanau

Ice I have tried all your suggestions and none of the seem to work. I even removed the scatch database and it still did not work. I have attached the file maybe you can suggest something else or maybe someone else can.

Message 4 of 17
david_brude

Try this modified block and see if it works.

Regards,

David

Message 5 of 17
macdog28273
in reply to: david_brude

Can you tell me what was wrong with my block so I don't make the same mistake. I see you put an X2term01 in there but why do i have to do this?  I have other blocks and this was never a problem.This modified one works fine except for that x2term01 breaks the wire at the top and leaves that wire. There seems to be a glitch in the  program.

Message 6 of 17
david_brude

Macdog,

This is a work-around and not an official method.

Open the block up in AutoCAD and zoom tight into upper left corner of the block.

You will see that I inserted an above  cutpoint attribute, X2TERM01.

I discovered this a few months ago when we had the exact problem.

The scoot command, evidently likes to see cutpoints on both sides of the block in order for it to work properly.

Even though this is isn't the cleanest way, the extra, unused, cutpoint doesn't seem to bother anything.

Let me know if it creates problems for you. Also if anyone else knows of a better way, please share it!

Regards,

David

Message 7 of 17
macdog28273
in reply to: david_brude

David

This seems to work but but im creating the blocks for other Cad Users with no AcadE experience and they will ask questions about why this doesn't cut. While it appears to work,  it is a glitch that Autodesk needs to fix. I appreciate your help on this now I understand why I am having this problem . Thanx for your help I really appreciate it. If anyone else has a solution I am open to it.

Message 8 of 17
david_brude

Macdog,

I agree, that it is a glitch in software because we have blocks with horizontal cutpoints on one side only that scoot both directions.

So it is an inconsistency on the part of software. Something may have been broken along the way of ceaseless upgrades. I just can't remember if the problem has always been there.

Are you listening AutoDesk?

Regards,

David

Message 9 of 17

Hi macdog! It appears to me that this is supposed to be a PLC input module.  If so, the block name does not meet the requirement of a PLC block name. It should begin with PLCIO, followed by a unique identifier.  For example, I have one named PLCIO_1794OB16.  This block name brings up the proper editor for a PLC module. 

Also the attributes in the block are irregular for a PLC module.  The tag attribute should be TAG, not TAG1, and it should contain a default value of PLC for U.S. standards, or K for IEC.  I still prefer the old IEC designation of A, but I digress.  

There is no need for PINLIST, CONTACT, NO, NC, XREFNO, XREFNC, etc., or RATING12.  I have attached a screen shot of an exploded view of a PLC module so you can see the attributes.  TERMDESC01 will hold such data as “IN-0”.  TAGA01 holds the address for the first addressable point.  DESCA01 through DESCA05 hold the I/O address descriptions.

That said, I was able to scoot your block up and down with no noticeable issues.  Ground blocks and existing PLCs provided by Autodesk scoot just fine, and they don't always have attributes on each side of the block. Your block is just not completely configured in the way AutoCAD Electrical expects of a PLC module.  The block name and attributes/values provide the software with expected data that it knows how to process.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 10 of 17

We do not use plc cards. we use a pinlist so the can choose the attributes we desire.I realize that pinlist, contact, no, nc, xrefno, xrefnc, and rating12 are in there because we are cusomizing this product to meet our applications. These are specialized to meet our standards reqirements that are placed in each block. ordinarily I would not add no, nc, xrefno, and xrefnc in this block but we have standards that require this  attribute to be present. Pinlist , Contact, and Rating12 are being used for specific purposes. it will not allow u to scoot the block to the end of the line. There really is a problem that Autocad needs to fix. It appears that u must have a x2term** and a x8term** on atleast on side of any block. "It doesnt happen to all blocks but it will happen!"when it does u will understand why your block doesnt scoot all the way to the end of the wire. Those attributes you listed have no bearing on why it wont go to the end. I appreciate your help though.

Message 11 of 17

My mistake.  I saw the text, "Digital Input Module" and "Slot 1" so I assumed PLC module.  I have tried to duplicate the problem you are having but I cannot.  I even created a block with wire connections on one side only.  The software will recommend inline connections, but my block still works.  The ground blocks from Autodesk have only one wire connection and they scoot up and down just fine.  Your block works on my drawing as well.  

This is a long shot, but what is your Drawing Properties>Drawing Format>Feature Scale Multiplier value to set to?

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 12 of 17

Doug

its set to 1.0. Did you try my block or recreate the one I attached? and what version of electrical are u sing? I am using Acade12. I am in the Utilities industry and we lag well behind.

Message 13 of 17
Icemanau

Good news is that when I tried your block, it worked fine. This was both in 2014 and 2008 releases.

No modifications needed apart from saving into a 2004 format and it scooted up and down with no problems.

Bad news is apart from what I have already stated, I have no idea as to what could be wrong.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 14 of 17

I was using 2015 to test it. It scooted fine. All wires stretched or trimmed as expected. I did not modify the block. I used as is.

Doug McAlexander

Message 15 of 17
drathak

@macdog28273 wrote:
I am using Acade12. I am in the Utilities industry and we lag well behind.

I feel your pain, brother.  We are still not quite ready to upgrade from 2013 to 2015 here.

I take it that is some sort of IED relay?  I've seen a couple of other utilities doing huge I/O blocks like that.  What do you feel is the advantage to doing it this way?  Other than that's how you did them before ACADE.

I ask because I went with a more modular approach.  I have seven symbols from which I can model any IED.  Power Supply (Parent), Current Coils (Child), Potential coils (C), Input (C), Output (C) and a variety of Communications ports.  (Also children)

Then too we don't try and put all of a relay on one sheet. (Because that's how we've always done it...) I plan to handle standard configurations of the I/O points with saved circuits.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 16 of 17
drathak

Also, I tried your block in one of my projects and it will only scoot down so far.  Scoots up as far as I want to.

David's block, works as expected.  The interesting thing is how the scoot preview changed.  In yours, the scoot box is the full length of the part.  With David's, only the two inline points are used to define the scoot box.

Another thing about your block.  You have the "(S1) SLOT 1" hard coded.  If you have the potential for other cards, that should be an attribute.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 17 of 17
macdog28273
in reply to: drathak

It seems to be inconsistent in your responses. For some of you it works correctly and others it doesnt scoot all the way down as it was doing for me.I dont know why the refuse to insert it as a PLC. Drathak not every one will build their block the same way they need more flexibility in the way block can be built.This is definitely a Autodesk problem. I have been making blocks since it was called Via Wiring Diagram when they had no PLC's and you had to create your own.  If anyone in Autodesk is looking at this page my suggestion is that you setup a page for suggestions on improving the product and not just answering questions on problems. You have some very knowledgeable people who use this product and can make it better and you should not have let Nate Leave.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost