AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices for Symbol Libraries, Updates, and Custom Symbols?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
motorthings
631 Views, 12 Replies

Best Practices for Symbol Libraries, Updates, and Custom Symbols?

We just implemented AutoCAD Electrical 2007 and I am looking for ideas of best practices to manage symbol libraries.

We plan on using the standard symbols installed on each user's workstation for the majority of our work, but sometimes the designers will need to create a custom symbol. What is the best way to manage those custom symbols so all users have access to them?

Also, I have been told that Autodesk sends out updates to the symbol library. I figured i would just take those updates and copy them to all of the users' symbol libraries on their harddrives. Is that the common practice?

Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Create a library folder on your network, for example, UserLib. Go to your wd.env file (usually in your My Documents\Acade 2007\AeData\ folder). Edit this wd.env file with Wordpad or Notepad and look for a line that reads:

*WD_INSCOMPDLG,x:/some path/,to override starting path for INS SCHEM COMP browse button

Remove the asterisk and edit the path statement to read your network path to your UserLib.

When you Create new symbols or click Browse from the Insert Component menu, the default path will be UserLib. You can copy symbols from the JIC1, JIC125, IEC2, or IEC4 folder to UserLib and edit them to your choosing. Just be sure to keep the file name the same. Right-click on your Project name and select Properties. Add the network path to UserLib to your library list. Move it to the top. When you click to insert a standard symbol from AutoCAD Electrical, the one in your UserLib will get priority.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 13
motorthings
in reply to: motorthings

great! thanks for the info.

should i also edit the line below that in the wd.env to point to a folder for what looks like the panel components library folder?

i assume this is another default folder holding a different set of symbols that are used in panel design...
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Our situation is similar in that each user wants their libraries local. This
is because they are using notebook computers and they need their libraries
available when they are remote and not connected to the network.
Unfortunately, a common shared location on the network would be unavailable
any time they are working remotely and therefore unacceptable to them.

Has anyone developed a good solution for notebook computers who will
frequently be disconnected from the network?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sincerely,

Michael
Message 5 of 13
doctatrips

What we do is to store all of our custom libraries, symbols, toolbars, templates, etc. on the server. Then create a batch file that runs automatically everytime someone logs in and it can be run manually as well. This batch file maps all the specified data from the server and brings it to that users local drive.
This has addressed the issues of people using notebooks and also has reduced the traffic on the server.
Message 6 of 13
karendsen

I was wondering how we are going to handle this at my company. Do you mind e-mailing that batch file for an example? Is it specific to ACE? Sounds like it could be useful to us. Especially since we end up doing updates to prints while on site at our customer.

karendsen@alltech-eng.com

Thanks,
Kyle
Message 7 of 13
krollenhagen

I use a program called SmartSyncPro to take care of synchronizing all files between my laptop and the server. I believe it costs $20.
Message 8 of 13
doctatrips

Here is a copy of the batch file that we used in ACE2006. Obviously you will need to tweak things for 2007.

To make it a batch file you will need to save it as *.bat. I had to to attach it as a *.txt as batch file types cannot be attached.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Thank you for your comments.

Synchronizing with a network location seems to be the best solution. We will
need it to be bi-directional though. I want to be sure any new content
created locally is added to the server location without someone having to
remember to do it.

Are you also using Vault? If so, do you check the server files into the
vault so that all of your data is vaulted?

Sincerely,

Michael

wrote in message news:5502857@discussion.autodesk.com...
Here is a copy of the batch file that we used in ACE2006. Obviously you
will need to tweak things for 2007.

To make it a batch file you will need to save it as *.bat. I had to to
attach it as a *.txt as batch file types cannot be attached.
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

While I haven't used it, others have recommended to me a software called FolderShare that keeps two directories synchronized.

Let me know if it works for you.
Message 11 of 13
karendsen

We have not started using Vault, but are considering it. I like the fact that when you check out a drawing or project, another user is prohibited from making changes while you have it checked out. As far as our custom symbols go, we have a directory on the network with all our custom symbols. Currently all the controls engineers have this directory in a briefcase (from Microsoft) on their local drive. Once a day or every other day each engineer sync's with this directory to make sure everyone is using the same symbols and has the updates added by everyone else.

Kyle
Message 12 of 13
krollenhagen

We use a program called SmartSyncPro to synchronize our local computers with the server drives.

It works very well.
Message 13 of 13
doctatrips

In conjuction with the batch file that maps files from the server to local drives I also have a batch file that takes any updates I make locally (to my menu's, toolbars) and copies onto the server.

We do not store these files in our Vault, we simply have restricted access to the folders on the server that store our content.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost