AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
Justin2012
Message 31 of 43 (258 Views)

Re: AutoCAD to AutoCAD Electrical

12-18-2012 06:46 AM in reply to: algerj

OK, I will do it as mentioned. Thanks.

I liked the screenshot you sent about adding this part  numbers. Do you have something similar (or any reference) about building circuits and PLC from a spreadsheet?

Thanks again

Justin2012
Message 32 of 43 (236 Views)

12-21-2012 07:57 AM in reply to: algerj

Excuse my many questions but I am geting a hand of it - I currently have a report running BUT some components will  not show MY PART NUMBER in the report unless I add the .wda file. Why will some components only show when a .wda file is added and others don't? Thanks again... 

Justin2012
Message 33 of 43 (212 Views)

12-24-2012 11:32 AM in reply to: Justin2012

Please any guidance on the below question...I am still waiting,

Excuse my many questions but I am geting a hand of it - I currently have a report running BUT some components will  not show MY PART NUMBER in the report unless I add the .wda file. Why will some components only show when a .wda file is added and others don't? Thanks again...

Mentor
algerj
Message 34 of 43 (125 Views)

01-02-2013 07:26 AM in reply to: Justin2012

Hi Justin,

I don't have anything created for the circuit builder; I'll have to look in to creating something for that.

The PLC utility isn't too hard to use, just make sure you have a csv file from your plc.

You can run the csv file (PLC descriptions file) through the "RSLOGIX500" command which converts the descriptions file into an excel spreadsheet that you can populate with additional addresses / component information.

The last thing you asked was:

"Excuse my many questions but I am geting a hand of it - I currently have a report running BUT
some components will not show MY PART NUMBER in the report unless I add
the .wda file. Why will some components only show when a .wda file is added and
others don't?"

I'm not sure why some of the components require the wda file to be present.

Does the problem occur with panel based components or with the schematic components?

Note: You would require the WDA file for other reports, user 1 field would only be exposed in the BOM report.

Regards,

James Alger

SolidCAD

Justin2012
Message 35 of 43 (116 Views)

01-02-2013 10:16 AM in reply to: algerj

The problem is just with the schematic components. Will it be a porblem if a CAT data is located at both the default and secondary catalog database? 

Mentor
algerj
Message 36 of 43 (113 Views)

01-02-2013 11:58 AM in reply to: Justin2012

Hi Justin,

It pulls the information form the main catalog into the scratch database (which generates the reports).

Before it can store the information in the scratch database, it has to choose which source its pulling its information from. (Primary [aka default] or the secondary catalog)

If the Catalog Number shows up in both of the catalogs it could be a problem. ( they might fight each other for ownership of the component information) 

That said, In most cases it pulls out the information from the catalog you selected.

Occasional when you select the secondary catalog it pulls from the Primary catalog instead of the secondary (and visa-versa, which is very rare) when the primary and secondary catalog share the same catalog number.

I would say 99.99% when there is a conflict that the primary catalog wins and passes its data in.

If I remember correctly your catalog, the one with your part numbers, was the secondary one.

Is that right? or was your the primary catalog

Normally the best thing to do is to make your catalog the primary catalog and set the default catalog as the secondary.

or

Copy and paste your company part numbers into the other catalog.

I hope that helps,

Regards,

James Alger

SolidCAD

Justin2012
Message 37 of 43 (109 Views)

01-02-2013 12:37 PM in reply to: algerj

OK. I think the problem was because I have the same catalog  data on both the default and the seconadary so the default wins. How can I access the scratch database? 

Yes, the one with my part numbers is the secondary.

How can I make my catalog the primary and the default the secondary?

Thank you.

Mentor
algerj
Message 38 of 43 (106 Views)

01-02-2013 12:49 PM in reply to: Justin2012

Hi Justin,

you can find the Scratch database in :

C:\Users\ <User Name> \AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 20xx\Rxx.x\enu\Support\User

The scratch database has the same name as the project.

To change the Secondary to the primary you have to rename the secondary catalog to "Default_cat.mdb" , but make sure you rename the original database (Default_cat-1, or something like that) before you change the name of the secondary one. Otherwise you will lose the original database and you will have to get it from another machine.

Regards,

James Alger

SolidCAD

Mentor
algerj
Message 39 of 43 (105 Views)

01-02-2013 12:52 PM in reply to: algerj

Before i forget to mention it.

The Scratch database is an MDB file just like the catalogs.

(incase you find other files with the project name in the same location.)

James

Justin2012
Message 40 of 43 (93 Views)

01-03-2013 06:04 AM in reply to: algerj

Thanks. What do I need to do to the scratch database ? Or I guess my question is, whats the use/function or help of  this database?

Apprecaite it.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.