AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad electrical library import

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
sbonthula
5406 Views, 20 Replies

Autocad electrical library import

Dear all,

Please provide the link where we can get the library of maximum of autocad electrical and also you are requested to provide me the wire length calculation.

please also let me know the integrity between autodesk Inventor and electrical.

regards

suresh

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
ccad2509
in reply to: sbonthula

can you rephrase the question as i dont quite get what your asking

Message 3 of 21
jalger

I'm with Colin on this one... What exactly are you asking for?

If its the full library in ACADE, you select the manufacturers during installation.

(AB and Eaton Released add-on packs for the addational content you can find it on the autodesk website)

As for wire length calculations, I assume you mean the Extra % of wire added to the wire length from Inventor in the cable and harness section.

That is setup in inventor not ACADE, and its not available unless you export the inventor data back into AutoCAD Electrical at which point it auto assigns the wire length based on the information from inventor.

So no formula to share since their isn't any.

If you asking what the best practice I would say add a foot on each end.

( I have actual added the height and length of the Panel a few times to make sure a cable could reach anywhere in a panel).

and I guess the last thing you wanted to know was for the Integration between AutoCAD Electrical and Inventor. Its hard to explain in a few sentences but the main idea is the 2D  schematics are still done in ACADE and you Export the wire data to inventor to make a 3D Panel.

Inventor uses the cable and harness toolset to import the wire data (which has wire layers and connection points, and in 2015 we can link it to 3d models "directly"). there is a link between the two programs but it is very limited at this point in time.

Not sure if this answers your questions but I hope it helps,

Regards,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 4 of 21
sbonthula
in reply to: jalger

Dear James,

I am very exited by seeing your reply. thanks for your support. we have issues of import from ACAD to INVentor where the schematics are scattered and there is no trunch or duct system where eplan does.

how can we solve this issue

and for other one is I need all manufacturers library file to be imported into my acad electrical. Sorry to ask you we are begginers of this program.

regards

suresh

Message 5 of 21
jalger

Hi Suresh,

In inventor you need Segments (they are the equivilant wire trunks in eplan), as for ducts they would have to be designed in inventor, then you could use Multiple segments to group the wires.

For the manufacturers if you missed them at the beginning you can add them through the Control panel.

Control Panel > Porgrams & Features > look for AutoCAD Electrical (the version you have) > Right click select "Uninstall/Change"

Next Select  "Add features" (It might say "add/remove" depending on the version of ACADE and windows) (DO NOT UN-INSTALL!!!)

On the first window you can select all of the missing Manufacturers (AB, Siemens, Omron, Eaton [Cutler-hammer], SQD, etc) that you didn't install at the start. The second window will let you add missing Libraries (IEEE, IEC, JIC, NFPA, etc). when your done hit install. (you may require the drive that you used to install the product originally)

Anyway I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 6 of 21
chenchukumar

Hi James,

Thank you very much for your support, I have updated my Acad Electrical in the same way as you instructed. After that also when i opened the Acad Electrical it is not showing any electrical libraries to me, whether it will come under the JIC schematic symbols or not? otherwise can you please tell me any procedure is there to access these library.

Thanks & Regards,

Chenchu Kumar

(on behalf of suresh)

Message 7 of 21
jalger
in reply to: chenchukumar

Hi ChenChu (and Suresh),

You have to make sure you have set the library pathes in the Project Properties. (right click on the current project)

You can only use one Library standard at a time, whatever is pathed will show up when you click on the icon menu.

Note: There are 2 icon menus one for schematics and one for panels, make sure you change the pathes for both of them.

Project pathes.png

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 8 of 21
chenchukumar

Hi James,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have followed your instructions and now i am able to get the symbols of different libraries.

Also can you please suggest a solution for this below query.

This is regarding cable & Harness environment in inventor interlinking Acad electrical. I have generated the harness partslist BOM from the report generator from inventor.  In the partslist BOM I got only the items which are connected through wires. other electrical components for which no wiring connection is there but they are used in the Acad electrical circuit diagram & also in inventor assy have not been coming in the partslist. Is there any possible way to get these items also to be included in partslist BOM.

Regards,

Chenchu Kumar

Message 9 of 21
jalger

Hi Chenchu,

Merging the BOM's is tricky.

You could export both of the boms (one from ACADE and one from Inventor) then merge them in Excel.

If you were using Vault pro I would suggest using an Item master to take the info from both and let Vault sort out the data.

In both case you may have to remove duplicate data.

Normally I avoid breaking out the components from the harness so it calls for 1 harness1, 1 harness 2, etc.

(Instead of calling out 4 push buttons for harness1 , 2 push buttons for harness 2, etc)

I let AutoCAD Electrical handle the Electrical components, and I let Inventor handle the Mechanical Componets.

(I would use inventor in place of the 2D Panel envionment)

In your case it Might make senese to Add virtual components to the Assembly in inventor to repersent the missing components.

you can add virtual components by using the create command in the assembly environment.

(to do that, click the little flag in the bottom left corner to make the part a virtual part)

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 10 of 21
chenchukumar

Hi James,

Thanks for your information.  i will try to take the BOM in the way suggested by you.

In Acad Electrical, is it possible to give the wire properties like color, size etc and whether the same properties can be imported into the inventor.

thanks & regards

Chenchu Kumar V

Message 11 of 21
jalger

Hi Chenchu,

You sure can, You need to fill in the Wire layers, It has Colour (%C) and Size (%S). 

In inventor the Library was setup incorrectly...they put Gauge then Colour (so 14awg_blue) instead of the conventional blue_14awg.

So you have to fix one or the other for the import to pull in the wire colour. (personally I Fix the inventor one).

Here is a Screenshot for the Wire layer location. (Create and edit wire layers)

AutoCAD Electrical -Wire Layers.png

Here is a Screenshot for the wire locations in Inventor (Cable and Harness Library).

Inventor-Cable&Harness-Lib setup.png

I hope this Helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 12 of 21
chenchukumar

Harness error.JPGHi James,

How are you. Hope you are doing well.

I got an error while opening the harness assy in inventor. error report is attached. Harnessing functions are not enabled to edit. can you please help.

Message 13 of 21
yokehuat

Hi James,

I am having problem to include the extra libarary such as IEEE, IEC. The reason is the software is install by company IS team. As I not the assign admin, I not able to access the source of installation and follow the step as per your recommendation. If there anyway to import the library separately beside what is you recommend.

Ivar Ling

Message 14 of 21
jalger
in reply to: yokehuat

I'm assuming that the libraries are just not installed?

If that's the case, you would have to go into control panel and manually re-add them if it was missing during the installation. 

In the program and features location then right-click on the AutoCAD electrical.

Select "Uninstall/change" (we want to change it)

When the dialog box appears select "add or remove features"

Pick any missing catalog items (or leave it alone if you want the catalog to remain in touched)

then click on next to add the missing libraries.

once you have selected the libraries click on next to add addins ( Autodesk seek, a database tie in, etc)

You don't have to be an admin but you would need to be an elevated user (or power user) to make these changes.

If the libraries are already installed then you just need to switch the libraries in the project properties as mentioned above. 

No admin rights are required for this path change.

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 15 of 21
jalger

strange that I never got an email about this...

I have my emails from 2014 still... and no update from this case was ever forwarded...

ah well.

better late then never I guess?

for the cable and harness if the adaptivity turns off like it did, the best thing to do is to exit back out to the main assembly then locate the cable and harness and right click on it to edit it, select "edit cable and harness".

( don't double click it to edit in context, it sometimes doesn't recognize the cable and harness as a cable and harness... and you get the error message you see in your screen shot)

anyway, sorry for the really late reply, honestly never would have know about it if someone else didn't post about the earlier comments for the libraries.

Regards,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 16 of 21
dougmcalexander

For anyone else who might read this thread in the future, I advise you to avoid using the IEEE library at all. First, it was not created correctly and second, even if it was created correctly, it would create confusion for technicians in the industrial controls industry due to the tag letters used in IEEE, like DS for pilot light, when DS is a disconnect switch in the controls industry. I suggested to Autodesk years ago to remove the IEEE library but alas, they did not.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 17 of 21
yokehuat

Capture.PNGHi James,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have follow the step as per your comment below, but it is not possible.

As I have complete to select the extra library require. The program is auto run and try to import the library to my computer but I believe download source is not available and cause it fail. Message below is appear. Not able to locate the file name "ACADEPS.msi"(I have print screen the message and include in attachment)

Ivar Ling

Message 18 of 21
jalger
in reply to: yokehuat

hmmm 

ok well you can download the installer then point to it during the repair.

you can get it on the Virtual agent. Link Below:

http://autodesk.creativevirtual15.com/autodesk/bot.html?isJSEnabled=1&businessArea=Root.Front%20Desk...

From here 

click on "download links"

Then "AutoCAD products"

Select "AutoCAD Electrical" from the list.

Pick the release version that you are using (2015-2018 are on there so you should be ok)

next download all of the parts.

once its downloaded unpack the files using part 1 ( click on it and it will auto Extract)

after that you should be able to re-add the missing library files. 

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 19 of 21
yokehuat

Hi James,

Thanks for your support. The problem solve.

Ivar Ling

Message 20 of 21
annisayasmin.n.z

Sorry if I have to ask here

I have installed for update my library, but only Omron that I haven't found from all the brand I've installed

What can I do?

Thankyou for your help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost