AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Electrical Custom Attributes not Showing in exported excel.

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
pata825
3207 Views, 13 Replies

AutoCAD Electrical Custom Attributes not Showing in exported excel.

I have created some custom attributes using the symbol builder. I am able to see the new attribute as well as edit it in the edit component dialog box. I am running into an issue where when I export the information onto an excel spreadsheet the custom attribute is not listed in the columns of the spreadsheet. Has anyone figured out a way around this?

Thanks,

Pata

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rhesusminus
in reply to: pata825

Hello Pata.

If you open C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Acade 2012\wd_xls_all_template.xlt in excel, you'll find the templates used for all the export to excel functions.

Just add a new column in the worksheet taht you use, and insert your attribute tag at the first row of this column.

Save, Close and try the export to excel function again.

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 14
pata825

Hey THL,

Thanks for the reply, but i'm runnning into some problems getting it to work. First off what type of file are you resaving as? in the column where you want the custom attribute to you just type the tag of the attribute as shown? I've tried to do this and it did not work for me. I am currently running 2011 electrical. I have 2012 is this something that is new?

pata

Message 4 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

You can use the User-Defined Attributes feature to add these custom fields to the export. I have an explanation of this on the AcadE wiki site -

http://204.236.156.205/AutoCAD_Electrical/enu/Community/User_Pages/Pat_Murnen's_AutoCAD_Electrical_p...

there are a couple of videos showing the various steps. Also, if you are using the General option on the Export then you will need to add the attribute names/tags to the wd_xls_all_template.xlt template in the column header row of each worksheet.  The default location for the spreadsheet template is C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Acade {version}\Support.

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 14
pata825
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

@Pat Murnen

Can you explain the .wda file for me a little bit. Is it going to be an outside reference in that particular dwg? 

Also how were you assigning a value to that attribute?

Thanks,

Pata

Message 6 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

The .wda file is a text file used by the User-Defined Attributes feature. It can be a default file used for all projects or it can be project specific. It is created when you run the User Defined Attribute tool. I would suggest reading through some of the documentation available on the User-Defined Attributes feature. This feature allows you to add the values from attributes that are not standard AcadE attributes to reports and they are supported in the Export/Import feature.

On the wiki you can find the topics at http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/AutoCAD_Electrical/enu/2012/Help/0818-Reports818/0827-Add_repo827

The same content is also available in the product Help at Reports > Add report fields with the User Defined Attribute List tool.

I am not sure I understand the question about assigning the values to the attribute. Do you mean through the export/import feature or just in general?

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 14
pata825

In your sample video your user defined attribute (STORES)  has a values in the column...

X54S231, X54S294.... ETC.

When I created a user defined attribute it made that column, but I could find where that information is put in inside of Electrical....

Hope that makes sense.

Pat

Message 8 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

From your original post it sounded like you had added the non-standard attributes to the block and you were able to add values to those attributes using the edit dialogs. But that those values were not showing up when you used the export to spreadsheet function. Once you add those non-standard attribute names to the user-defined attributes file then those values that are actually on the attributes (that you added in the edit dialog) should show up in those columns in the spreadsheet. THat is where my values came from in the example, they were actually the attribute values.

If there are values on the attributes and they do not show up in the spreadsheet column then something is not set up right.

If you can, post a drawing that contains one of the blocks with a non-standard attribute along with the .wda file created using user-defined attributes feature. Maybe I can see what is not correct.

One thing to verify - make sure that the field you enter in the user-defined attributes matches the attribute name exactly. I also would recommend using all upper case for both the attribute itself and when you add it in the user-defined attributes.

I am just curious - did the video play extremely fast for you? When I played it the speed was too fast and I am thinking something may have gone wrong in the uploading of it. It wasn't originally that fast.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 14
pata825

Pat,

Your right on your assumptions above. I did realize that the drawing I was in was opened outside of the project file and it didn't work correctly that way. Once I got into the project it worked great.

Your videos played just fine for me.

Thanks for all your help!

Pata

Message 10 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

Ok. Glad you figured that out and it is all working fine now.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 14

Pat,

This looks like a solution that might apply to my situation, but your links no longer work.  Could you refresh the link or post a new one?

Thanks,

Tim_J

Message 12 of 14

Tim_J,

yes, that wiki site was retired. I did do a blog post on this subject. You can read it at include-custom-attributes-when-you-export-to-a-spreadsheet.html

Let me know if you have any questions after looking this over.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 14
gclark

Tim, 

I think I had this issue some time ago but never got it working, good I read the point to point blog as it appears it all had to do with the wda not being int he project directory and not realizing it wont work with the general export only specific export reports, but have a few questions. 

It would appear when I do a General Export the WDA parameters are not utilized? Why?

I have drawing title blocks that utilize multiple parameters beyond the drawing settings special export, many of these are not all revisioned together after they have been delivered. Reving up every drawing in the package is not a big deal with ACADE but sometimes the comments for the revision change may be different, this is not well supported with the Title Block update tool. How do I make an export for a specific block name, with specific parameters, is it possible?

- Thanks. 

Message 14 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: gclark

Hi gclark,

The General Export option makes use of a spreadsheet template to know what columns to fill in for each category. So if you add the columns for the user-defined attributes to the template then it should include those in the export. This is mentioned in the Help topic, About Exporting/Importing Spreadsheet Data. Here is the relevant paragraph:

The attributes in the User-Defined Attributes list are also added to the fields exported in the Export to Spreadsheet feature. Add the User Defined Attribute names to the wd_xls_all_template.xlt worksheets to include these fields with the General export option. The default location for the spreadsheet template is C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD {version}\Acade\Support\{language code}. 

For example, if I have  custom attribute SPECIAL1 and I want it to show up in the Comp sheet of the spreadsheet, I add a SPECIAL1 label in the column right after (FILENAME), the last column in the supplied template. I repeat this for each sheet where I want this custom attribute to show up. So this is an extra step for custom attributes.

I am not sure I understand your second question. Can you provide more information on what you are trying to do?

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost