AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Electrical 2015 - subassembly issue

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
electcad
2803 Views, 17 Replies

AutoCAD Electrical 2015 - subassembly issue

I am trying to insert a selector switch (main component) (EV34GB) and a contact (subassembly) (T2P) into the database via the new catalog browser. Inserting the main component not a problem but when I insert the subassembly it comes up with the error message shown on (Capture4) The assemblylist number is different so I can understand why it will not work.

Has something changed in the way it is meant to be done?

Have had a look at the help file but can’t find anything.

I have had to go back to ACADE 2014 and do it from there. Hope I can get this resolved.

Cheers Chris

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this issue, we have added this issue into our issue system, and looking into it already.

For now, we don't have a good workaround for this issue.

Thanks,
Robin Shou
Quality Assurance
Autodesk AutoCAD Electrical

Message 3 of 18

The program only looks to the Manufacturer, Part Number & possibly Description when it checks for duplicate entries. This has been the standard since at least the 2008 release. Looking at both of your captures, you have the same component in two different locations. One on the bottom row and the other six rows above it. This is what is generating the error. For what you are trying to do (Use one sub component on two or more main components), you need to give the contact block an unique identifier in the Assemblylist. For example 2NOCHE34CB (2 NO Cutler Hammer E34 Contact Block) that will identify just this entry. You can have multiple entries on the Assemblycode entry, you just need to separate them by a semi colon and a space. Using some of you Selector Switches for an example you would have an assembly code of E34VFBT2P; 2NOCHE34CB for one entry and E34VGBT2P; 2NOCHE34CB. Selecting either of these entries for a component would then list their individual parts and also the same contact block number. Doing things this way removes the need for multiple entries of the same sub-component and therefore makes the lookup run faster as there is not as many entries for the database to search through. Regards Brad
>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 18
electcad
in reply to: Icemanau

Thanks Brad

I see know that we have been working backwards here. We have been giving the main component the unique identifier instead of the sub component. That why we have ended up with so many extra lines of data for sub components.   Thanks for your help.

Cheers Chris

Message 5 of 18
kwj
Contributor
in reply to: Icemanau

Could I bug you guys for some more clarification?

I stumbled on this post because I have had the exact same issue.

So for instance, I have a disconnect switch, a shaft, and a handle. All three parts are already in autodesk's database, but none in the combination I want. In the past, like the OP, I was assigning an assemblycode to the disconnect switch, and adding the applicable components with the main component's assemblycode in their assemblylist. Doesn't work when the subcomponent already exists in the database. I got this idea because it seems to be how autodesk does it (see attached pic). It also seems backwards to put one identifier in "assembly LIST" and multiple in "assembly CODE (singular)", right?

In this instance, if I take the assemblylist identifier from one of the existing handle entries (because it won't let me add a new one), and add it to the disconnect assembly code (with a semicolon), I end up with an assembly that includes a bunch of extra parts, assumedly because that assemblylist code is also used for some other subcomponents I don't want. In this case, the only way around this problem that I can see is to add my handle and shaft part numbers with an underscore (OHB80J6_) and hope people ignore the underscore.

Am I understanding this right? There's got to be something I'm missing.

Message 6 of 18
dougmcalexander
in reply to: kwj

The graphic is a bit small to read but I will do my best to explain how to use Assembly Code to build a subassembly association.

Using the Assembly Code method hasn't changed with the new Catalog Browser.  Select a main part, check As Main and enter some text string into the Assembly Code field.  Click OK. Edit any and all components that you wish to attach to this main part as subassembly parts.  Check As Sub and pick the same Assembly Code you assigned to the main as the Assembly List value.  Generate a BOM and all parts that share the same Assembly List value as the main part will appear in the BOM under the main.

There is one quirk in the new workflow.  If you have already assigned an Assembly List value to a part, the part is no longer visible for editing.  In previous releases there was a checkbox labeled “Display subassembly entries only for editing” but it was not added to the new Catalog Browser.  Don’t ask me why.  No idea.  It is an awkward workflow but enter the catalog number of the subassembly part you wish to edit into the search field of the Catalog Browser (see attachment 1).  DO NOT click the magnifier icon, believe it or not.  Click the Edit icon (pencil) and the subassembly part will appear for editing.  (see attachment 2)

I hope this helps, because I'm not quite sure I understood the exact issue as you explained it.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 7 of 18
electcad

Hi Looks like you have the same problem I had. I have attached a snap shot of a part of the database for push buttons just to show you how it is set up.

The sub components use the catalog number for the "assemblylist". I usually only have two of the same sub components in the database one with a "assemlylist" assignment and one without. Reason being if i want to add a sub component manually then I use the one without the "assemblylist"

The main component then has the "assemblycode" added for the sub component parts required with the main component.

This may make more sense when you look at the attachment.

I have also added a copy of how to set up sub assemblies.

Message 8 of 18
kwj
Contributor
in reply to: electcad

That screenshot is quite helpful. 

The one thing I am still fuzzy on is how you managed to add some subcomponents twice - for instance, T2P is entered twice, one with an assemblylist, one without.

Message 9 of 18
electcad

Hi

In the catalog browser when you are in edit mode (blocks turn yellow) the you click and highlight the row you want to copy. Right click and choose option copy row. Then scroll down to the bottom and the should be a blank row with an asterix *. Right click on the asterix and choose the option paste row. You can now go and make any changes you want to that row. Once completed click on accept changes button.

You may have to tidy up you database and ensure that the main components have "assemblycodes" and the accessories/ sub components have "assemblylists" 

Message 10 of 18
kwj
Contributor

Got it, but how did you get around the error code you talked about in your first post? I get a duplicate message every time I add another part with the same catalog #.

Message 11 of 18
sonny3g

kwj,

By adding an entry in either Assembly Code or Assembly List makes the record unique, allowing you to have two or more catalog numbers that are the same as long as there is unique entries in the AssemblyCode or AssemblyList.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 12 of 18
PatrickRobinson
in reply to: sonny3g

From your post, it seems as if you are saying we can duplicate a row and change the assembly list and the catalog browser will accept these changes. We are not seeing this.

Seems as if the workflow now works the same way as multiple catalog, its just predifined by giving each part number a unique assembly list. then linking each assembly list in assembly code for the main part.

War Eagle

Patrick Robinson
Message 13 of 18
kwj
Contributor
in reply to: PatrickRobinson

I second everything you just said patrickrobinson. I see the same behavior. Putting all the unique assembly list id's into the assembly code is a weird way to do it but it seems to work. 

Message 14 of 18
PatrickRobinson

it appears that you can go into access and add multiple parts to the same assembly list. Im sure this is not the correct workflow, but it will keep you from having to create multiple assembly lists. Im not suggesting to do this FYI. But it would be nice if we could do this in AE

War Eagle

Patrick Robinson
Message 15 of 18
d.v.veen
in reply to: PatrickRobinson

Hey All,

I had the same issues as mentioned.

The confusing part of it all might be the the naming of the assemblycode and the assemblylist.

I feel these two are being switched at some point in time...

I mean where you would accept to put in a list of all the components you'd like to add in an assembley (assemblylist) is actualy the place where you should enter a code for the part you wish to add to your assemblies. (eg. the partnumber)

On your 'Main' part (the one you wish to select from the catalog) you can enter a list for the 'assemblycode' consisting of all parts you'd like to add to this component.

For example:

A pilot light consiting of:

LED-body, part no 123

Red Lens, part no 456

Fixing Collar, part no789

The assembley code and lists would look something like this:

For the LED: assemblylist 123

For the Collar: assemblylist 789

For the Lens (if you would like this to show as main part): assemblycode 123;789

This method will add both the lens and the Collar to the Lens.

I'dd like to remember it as if where you would expect a list of parts you must enter just a unique code for the part,

and where you would expect to enter a code, you must enter a list of the codes sepparated by a ';'.

Hope this helps.. 

Message 16 of 18
dougmcalexander

If you want a group of subassembly parts to always be associated to the same main part, you only need one assembly code and assembly list value. It could be KIT. Put KIT as the assembly code for the main part and put KIT as the assembly list value of each and every subassembly part you wish to accompany that main part when the BOM is created.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 17 of 18
d.v.veen
in reply to: d.v.veen

Oooops.

Lets make myself a bit clearer with an other example...

We had our RED-LED assembly consisting of:

Lens 456

LED 123

Collar 789

with the method I mentioned in my previous post it is now possible to create an other assembly using the same codes

For example, we want to create a Blue pilot light with both the same LED and Collar.

The only thing You have to do in this is add the Blue lens to your Catalog database and provide the assemblycode with 123;789

Now when ever you selct the bleu lens for your project the LED and Collar will be in the assembly, without the need for extra entries in the database for the same component.

It is even possible to provide a specific number of subassembly components by entering the quantity followed by a ', 'and the 'assemblylist' code. in the assembleyquantity field.

See the AutocadElectrical Help on this topic.

Hopefully this is helpfull to whomever needs this.

Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 18
sfibikar

I ran into this problem yesterday.  Upon checking the forums out for a solution, I was a bit bummed out to see no resolutions to these issues last posted in September 2014.  Autocad Electrical already has multiple entries of the same sub-component in its database, but none of the existing assemblylist codes meet my exact needs.  It seemed pretty straight forward to copy one of the existing entries and type in a unique assemblylist code.  Unfortunately, I experienced the same error that PatrickRobinson and electcad did.  Does anybody know if this has been fixed yet?

Thanks,

Scott

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost