Yes, I suspect your template. Not much attention is paid to properly creating a template for Electrical in the training courses they teach at dealers. I spend half of the first day of my admin course having the class create a template that we will use to design our class project the rest of the week. The template is a fundamental element for proper function of the software and a consistent design environment.
Training course? I can spell that ...
The template has been in use pretty much unmodified for quite a long time though with no problems in earlier versions (well, we skipped from 2010 straight to 2013). I've audited it and there appears to be no problem. However I will re-save it as an ACE 2013 template and see if that helps. However I'd really expect a template that's been perfecly fine for some years to work with a newer version of the code, or at least chuck an error or fail audit.
All of my templates, dating back to 1997 still work in version 2013. They get touched by every release of the software. But as new features have been added I have modified them to keep pace. I then save them in a newer format. I am currently saving to 2010 format. This is software and any programmer will tell you that no software is 100% compatible with every hardware platform all the time. Things happen...A hiccup with memory management on the PC, a crash caused by something besides the template, a bad video driver update, and on and on. The WDDEMO project has issues itself due to the fact that it dates back to the mid 90s and has been used as a "Guinea Pig" for testing every new release since. I created my own demo projects, IEC, JIC, and NFPA versions so when I demo the software or teach it, I can avoid seeing bogus errors caused by an out-of-date data set.
A datum that may be useful; I've updated my template by replacing the WD_M block with the latest one from ACE 2013 and saved it again in what is presumably 2013 format (although the Save As gives no version option for templates, unlike drawings). Then I moved my project and all its drawings aside and re-created the project from scratch, and then recreated all the drawings by making a new drawing in the normal manner with the same name as an old one, copied and pasted the electrical drawing info from the old drawing (ie not the template, just the model-space stuff), and then freshened (actually rebuilt) the project database using the AEREBUILDDB command. Did this for all the drawings in the project.
I haven't had a crash/drawing corruption since.
Using AutoCAD Elec 2013 I was getting the same error (pictured below) anywhere up to 30 times a day, losing ridiculous amounts of work in the process.
The only way to get a stable install was to completely remove 2013, install 2012, and then upgrade to 2013. I've been running this install now for 4 hours and have not had a single crash.
Sure hope this helps someone as I was nearly going mental for all the times it crashed.
Win7 x64 SP1
Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.
The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.