AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad electrical 2013 Fatal Errors

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Ian_Hardy
2030 Views, 26 Replies

Autocad electrical 2013 Fatal Errors

Hi,

I am experiencing fatal errors at an alarming frequency. I had originally associated problems with upgrade from 2012 to 2013. As i was about to replace PC i lived with it. Now with new PC and clean install problems are as bad if not worse.

Been working 1 hour this morning and had 3 crashes.

The latest  one detailed below-

Changed to next page and clicked save. Fatal Error Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x75946ee8 exception at 700ec220h. 

This happened 8 times yesterday.

Also after crash when project re opened random drawings in project have corruptions to drawing template - two lines of my border are missing and my company Logo has also vanished. can only be resolved by deleting border purging template tittle block and copying border back in - a real pain when it may affect 10+ pages. 

Getting seriously fed up with 2013 version (although 2012, 2011 2010 all crashed occasionally).

Please Help!!!!

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
Ian_Hardy
in reply to: Ian_Hardy

Two more crashes since first post. both times when attempting to insert destination arrows.

Message 3 of 27
dougmcalexander

That issue sounds related to the drawing template itself, especially since you've had problems with previous versions as well.  The template may be corrupted.  Try running Drawing Audit against a new drawing that is created from your template.  Do not insert wires or component symbols, just start a new drawing with the template and run Drawing Audit.  Try both the standard AutoCAD Drawing Audit and the one on Electrical's Reports menu tab.  To prove if the template is corrupt, temporarily create some drawings using one of the included templates and see if you can cause a crash.  If not, you might need to re-create your template from scratch. 

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 27
Ian_Hardy
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, drawing audit / electrical audit report no errors. I have recreated my template prior to starting my current project. I will try using a sample template and see what happens.

My  comments regarding crashes with previous version refer to very occasional errors, where as 2013 is crashing 2 or 3 times per hour!

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 27

Hello,       

Would you please give us a sample project with the problem? Then we can have a check for this issue.

You can just send the project to my email zhonghua.shou@autodesk.com if needed.      

Thanks,    

Robin Shou    

Quality Assurance    

AutoCAD Electrical    

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 27
Ian_Hardy

Hi I have emailed a sample project where crash occurs. Thanks

Message 7 of 27
mriley

Has a solution been found for this.. I am constantly having the same error at the same consistancy.. I am sure that it is the Autodesk software as we have several licences and most of the staff in our engineering department are expierancing the same error.

I find it absolutely outragous that this version of the software seems to be in a beta stage and almost untested before release. I understand that its nice to release a new version every year but with the amount of money that my company spends to upgrade to the latest version, only to take a giant step backwards, makes me wonder what other options are out there.

I believe that autodesk should be fast tracking this solution or at least offering some sort of rebate for the purchased licences of this product until the solution has be solved. I cannot even begin to add up the hours that have been lost over the past month in productive hours due to this problems.  

Message 8 of 27
Ian_Hardy

I too still experience errors far too often. However Since the low point of crashes every few minutes  my stability has improved a little although i am not entirely sure if this is due to any thing i have done or simply the stage of the project i am at.

My problem seems to be worse when creating new drawings and adding multiple bus followed by to and from arrows to next page. Since things have improved i have - 1. Created a new template based on the autocad standard one, my original had an embedded Jpeg (company logo) which seemed to cause lots of problems. 2. I try to have only one project, the active one in the project manager. 3. i keep the number of drawings open to the minimum i can work with and page up down throught the pages rather than using project manager to jump to the page i want. 4. Ctrl-S to save every time i have made a lot of changes as the crash inevitably loses work. 5. purge the drawings regularly.

All of the above do seem to have helped, however this version does seem to be very unstable.

Out of interest i have re installed the machine from scratch - windows everything. no change  to reliability.

Installed on  a different machine no change.

regards

Ian

Message 9 of 27
SamElkink

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

My ACE 2013 is getting the same errors.

Happens most of the time when switching between drawings, makes it very slow to finish a project with 100+ drawings.

Never had a problem with ACE2012, only with this latest one.

Message 10 of 27
tmbarton

Yep, I'm getting exactly the same thing.  Mine most often occur when opening the first drawing after Autocad Electrical has just been started, although occasionally after that.  Have had some drawing corruption, and also a missing logo from the template.  Not greatly impressed, Autocad has always been quite stable, this release is not.

Message 11 of 27
stefan.stamate
in reply to: tmbarton

I was told that ACE 2013 has issues on Win 7 64 bit OS and that they "should". Also there seems to be an issue when saving drawings in 2000 format. 

Message 12 of 27
tmbarton
in reply to: stefan.stamate

Yes, probably should have mentioned it's Win7 64 bit SP1, fully patched to latest updates from Microsoft.

Message 13 of 27

I'm running AutoCAD Electrical 2013 on Win 7 64-bit SP1 with 8GB of RAM and I have not had a crash.  There must be some specific workflow that produces the crash but I cannot make it happen.  Strange...I believe you but I cannot reproduce the crash.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 14 of 27
tmbarton

Yeah, it must be something specific about certain setups, if it was happening to lots of people on a regular basis there would be a bit more moaning on the groups I guess.  There's not really any workflow involved when I get the most common crash, it's immediately after I open the first drawing of a session, at the point where it's fully drawn on the screen but before I can do anything with it or even move the mouse.  It doesn't happen all the time, and seems to happen mostly after Autocad is first bought up after a long time not being used, either over a machine sleep cycle or if I've been doing something else non-Autocad for a while, but that might just be a red herring.  It has never as far as I'm aware occurred on the second start of Autocad after the first crash, and I have been careful to follow exactly the same procedure for the second restart.  I did wonder if it was a dll error, only happening when a dll had been removed from memory by windows after not being used for a long time perhaps.

My next step was going to be to uninstall my 3dconnexion driver and see if that made any difference (don't use the 3dmouse with Electrical).  However probably not, because I installed a driver update the other day and it didn't make any difference, but that's my next step anyway.

Trevor

Message 15 of 27
stefan.stamate

One other thing which we noticed is that on the network licence seats it crashes more often than on the local livence ones. The other thing which will make a difference for this: disable the Aero theme in Win 7 (which gives you the nice preview on the taskbar) and also be sure that you have the latest video driver for your card.

Message 16 of 27
dougmcalexander

Make sure you have the latest driver for your video card, or, if you have updated the driver recently try rolling it back.  You might also try disabling hardware acceleration.  At the lower right of the AutoCAD Electrical screen is an icon that looks like an IC chip with a light bulb next to it.  Hover over it and see if hardware acceleration is enabled.  Try disabling it if so.  You won't see any appreciable difference in performance.  This is just a hunch but certain video cards/drivers produce unexpected results with certain software.  My old IBM Thinkpad had errors with 32-bit AutoCAD Electrical, any version, if I had hardware acceleration enabled.  It mostly occurred when trying to create a multi-level terminal association with Terminal Strip Editor.  It would produce a "Heidi driver" error.  This is usually caused by trying to use hardware acceleration with a video card/driver that isn't completely compatible with the AutoCAD engine that runs underneath Electrical.

Doug McAlexander

Message 17 of 27
tmbarton

OK, I've turned off hardware acceleration.  I'll report back if there is any difference, but to have much idea it will take a couple of days because once it's working it's generally fine for the rest of the session or the day.

For the record I have an nVidia Quadro 4000M in a Dell Precision M6600.  Rebuilt a couple of months ago with the latest video drivers at the time, don't think I've updated them since.  Didn't use 2013 with the previous build, was still using 2010.

Trevor

Message 18 of 27
tmbarton

Hah, unfortunately no difference (having disabled hardware acelleration), although this time the crash came just after opening a drawing in the usual manner, but it was not the first drawing of a session.  "FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation reading 0x0001 Exception at fe5812b9h"  Nothing like mixing hex formats in the same error message 😉

Message 19 of 27
dougmcalexander

Try opening one of the drawings from the demo project that ships with the software first.  See if you can get a crash with one of those drawings.

Doug McAlexander

Message 20 of 27
tmbarton

OK, I've tried and opened many of the files from the demo projects and not had a crash.  I have also specially opened them first in each session of using Autocad, and not had a crash yet.  That may or may not be significant, because I've only opened two or three new sessions since I started doing that, and it might be that it wouldn't have crashed anyway.  However I will continue to do that (open a demo first) and see what happens over the next few days.

Are you thinking that there might be a problem of some kind with the template I use?  I mentioned earlier that there was a logo missing off one file's border (part of the template) and also someone else mentioned that too.  The template is probably unchanged since it was last modified with ACE 2010 some time ago.  Is it worth doing something with that, even if only re-saving it in 2013 format?

Trevor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost