AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Electrical 2012

76 REPLIES 76
Message 1 of 77
DBrohm
5411 Views, 76 Replies

AutoCAD Electrical 2012

Don’t know how many of you have received your new software for 2012, either via download or DVD, I have.  I had heard some significant changes were being considered for the software on the whole; don’t know if that ever panned out but….  Two things I do know for sure, however; 1.) Acad Elect. 2012 installed much faster than previous versions have, and, 2.) Just like 2009, 2010, and 2011 it has issues right out of the box as it were.  I have been told by a number of individuals that I use Acad Elect at an extreme level in relation to its overall flexibility is it true not sure.  But I can’t believe that the “strains” that I place on the software would result in the issue that I found after having installed the software, configured it to use our standard blocks, database etc., and drawn one vertical three wire bus.  At this point mind you I will admit that the install, and configure process, was done very quickly, more so than in the past, due credit there.

The issue that I found was as follows; I drew, inserted, whichever term you prefer, the vertical three wire bus, then tried to connect a horizontal three wire bus to the vertical one.  With snap enabled, set @ 1/16”, the visual “snap on” indicator was lit, essentially everything telling me snap was on and active, the cross hairs floated and as such were not on snap in any way shape or form, end result was the horizontal three wire bus was nowhere near snap.  This only seems to occur when one tries to connect a bus to another bus; a single wire in empty space, to the bus, or a three wire bus into empty space, snap seems to works fine.

I have sent this to tech support, which has been able to reproduce the issue and have forwarded it onto the development team.  In itself ‘stuff” happens, but I don’t understand how something so fundamental to the software package for years now could just not work.  Am I the only one who uses these functions, I can’t believe that to be true however, no one seemingly found this during beta testing.  A further puzzlement to me is that virtually every time I have registered issues with tech support with each new rendition of software sooner or later I am told that very few use the software the way I do.  This is one thing that I find hard to fathom but if true why, when many Autodesk peoples have suggested that I should be part of the Beta testing process, haven’t they taken me up on my offer to do just that???

Oh well another version of Acad Elect installed and removed within one week because it is of no use to me.  It only required one year but eventually 2010 was fixed enough that I could give it to my designers to use.  So hope springs eternal for 2012.

Have fun my fellow Acad Electrical gurus once more unto the breach.

76 REPLIES 76
Message 41 of 77
pierora
in reply to: MinKeng

i downloaded the suggested file but the problem still the same.

As suggested I have installed the .net language pack, and again the .net software directly from MS.

Is there some other option to install ? thank you

Message 42 of 77
MinKeng
in reply to: pierora

Hi pierora,

Can you attached the setup.ini file that is in the same folder with setup.exe?

Regards,
Min Keng
Message 43 of 77
pierora

here attached the file

Than you for your support

Message 44 of 77
MinKeng

Hi pierora,

Have you restarted your machine after successfully installed .NET 4.0 and Italan .NET 4.0 langpack?

If you already restart the machine and install AutoCAD Electrical 2012, and the problem still persists, try the following steps.

I've updated the setup.ini (attached) to remove .NET 4.0 language pack from the installation list to see if it is able to resolve your problem.

However, remember to back up your original setup.ini first before replacing this file.

Try to install again now.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Min  Keng

Message 45 of 77
pierora

Now seems that the installation forward, I'll wait the end, and keep you informed !.

If you want I can send you a virtual cake for your strong and valid  support !!.

Thank you

Piero

Message 46 of 77
MinKeng

No problem. Hope it's working for you now.

Regards,

Min Keng

Message 47 of 77
evanjensen4116
in reply to: mathalekar

Hi Kevin
So I reinstalled ACADE 2012, and the installation was done correctly. Initial startup splash screen was the ACADE 2012. I found that all my splash screen and help file problems started when I loaded my ACADE 2011 profile. So I just re-created a new profile, and seems to be as distributed. Thanks for your concern Kevin, I will be monitoring the topic for future endevours.

Have a good weekend.

Evan Jensen
Electrical Design Engineer
UNIQUE HYDRA (PTY) LTD
A Unique Maritime Group Company
Message 48 of 77
david_brude
in reply to: mathalekar

Hey John,

It would be nice if Bentley/Promis opened up their discussion forum to the public.

I registered to join and haven't heard anything.

Regards,

David

Message 49 of 77

Hi  evanjensen4116,

Sure, you can report AcadE issue you meet to us in future.

Regards,

Kevin Li

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 50 of 77

Hi all,

About SNAP mode ON behavior change issue in AutoCAD Electrical 2012, please patch the hotfix from: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16822624&linkID=9240738 to revert back to old behavior based on AcadE user experience.

Regards,

Kevin Li

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 51 of 77

Kevin,

I installed the hotfix this morning. So far, so good. I appreciate your attention to this issue.

Regards,

David Brude

Message 52 of 77
JCard
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

Thank you Kevin for the hotfix.  Applied in a 'snap' !  Thanks for listening and the quick fix.

JCard
Electrical Designer
Logical Systems, LLC
Message 53 of 77

The snap works only if you select a command. How can i turn it on permanent , like before, so i dont need to activate a command to check if a customer drawing is in snap or not?

Message 54 of 77
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: post

Hi,

I need to clarify the scope for this hotfix, it will not fully revert back the behavior to old AcadE2011, it restores snap behavior during netsel/nentsel/nentselp operations based on AcadE domain customer experience. We do not change the cursor movement behavior with this fix, so when no command is active, the cursor moves freely regardless of SNAPMODE and this is actually an enhancement by AutoCAD 2012 Team.

Regards,

Kevin Li

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 55 of 77

Ok, then we just continue to use AcadE 2011. For me and my collegues, this new snap is just extreme irritating, and it should be an option if we customers want this snap behaviour or not.

Message 56 of 77
john.mckay
in reply to: DBrohm

I started using AutoCAD in April of 1984 on a machine with 8" floppy discs and a CPM86 operating system.  Snap has worked the same way since then, UNTIL NOW.  WHY???  How difficult can it be to provide snap with three options, OFF -- "PART TIME" -- FULL TIME?  Let those who want to use it "part time" do so and let those who want to use snap full time do so.  What is so difficult about that?  If Autodesk wanted to, one of their "smart" programmers could do this in a half an hour or less.  It would stop all the bitching and restore faith in the product.  Maybe Autodesk just wants to see how much aggravation they can cause in the workplace while raking in all the subscription fees.  I asked for a full description of how snap is now working through "feedback" some time ago and never received a responce.

Message 57 of 77
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: john.mckay

The current snap behavior works like this -

If no command is running the snap is not active.

If you are running a command and you are selecting components the snap is not active. This is seen as an improvement because many times when you are trying to select a component and the snap is active it is difficult to select right on the component.

If you are running a command and you are selecting a location, the snap is active.

In AutoCAD Electrical there are some commands that your one selection is used for BOTH selecting an object and a location at the same time, for example the multiple bus command. The hotfix supplied addresses these situations so that during these selections the snap is now active.

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 58 of 77

Hi Pat!  Great explanation!  I like the new snap function, after the patch.  It is convenient that the snap stays off until I invoke a command.  It does make it easier to select smaller drawing elements for edits or moves.  Yet when I click to insert a wire, the snap engages according to the snap settings I have set.  I can see that this is intended as an improvement.  With previous versions I would find myself needing to manually turn off snap to select a drawing element and then turn snap on again so I could execute a move and remain on the grid.

I do see where some customers could become frustrated, if they are trying to use Electrical for a mechanical drafting task that requires a constant snap function.  Perhaps there needs to be a toggle to allow us to disengage this new snap behavior when not desired.  For example, when Dynamic Input was first added, it annoyed me.  I would immediately turn it off when I started Electrical.  Now it defaults to off and that is good for me, since I am not a fan of Dynamic Input.  But for those who prefer Dynamic Input, they have the opportunity to toggle it on. 

I would hate to see this new snap behavior eliminated altogether but I think there should be a toggle to turn it on or off according to user preference.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 59 of 77

Doug,

I meant to add to my explanation that we do understand now the need for a switch or system variable so you can control this a little more. This has been logged.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Pat

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 60 of 77
john.mckay
in reply to: DBrohm

Doug and Pat seem to put in some long hours (11:57 & 04:14)!  Is late-night e-mail sending is good for insomnia?

I thank you both for the SNAP explanation, originally requested from "Feedback" on 04Apr.  I agree that with the hotfix, ACADE2012 functions a lot better.  As stated earlier, I do everything on snap and have always used the crosshairs to locate things via the coordinate window.  Some of my drawings visually continue (line up) on to other drawings, so alignment is critical.  Without "full time" snap, I have to enter the Line command to activate snap and get the coordinates.  I agree the "new" snap has a lot of benefits as many times I have to toggle F9 (snap) in order to select an object.  As for structural switchgear enclosures designed in ACAD (in millimeters and ON SNAP), I will continue to use ACAD2011 as without full time snap I just can not function in ACAD2012.

Pat stated that "this has been logged".  Does that mean to be fixed, as in perhaps a toggle, OFF / PART TIME / FULL TIME?

I wonder just how much productive time has been lost among all the users of ACAD and its various versions over this changed snap function.  From the comments I have seen posted, most everyone thought it was broken.  An upfront explanation of this feature in WHAT'S NEW certainly would have saved a lot of angst.  Why was a feature change such as this a SURPRISE?  Perhaps eventually time may be saved with this feature as in many cases object selection may become easier.

JDM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost