AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Electrical 2012 BOM Report issues

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
pbarkholz
4929 Views, 11 Replies

AutoCAD Electrical 2012 BOM Report issues

To All,

I am using AutoCAD Electrical 2012 and am having problems creating accurate "Normal Tallied Format" BOM reports.  The issues I am having are as follows:

1.) Not all components are showing up in the report (seems like the missing items relate to the Multiple BOM items in the schematic diagrams).

2.) Some quantities for components are not showing up at all.

3.) Some catalog numbers are not showing up.

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

I can supply a project file if necessary if it will help in figuring out a resolution for this issue.

Best regards,

Paul E. Barkholz
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mathalekar
in reply to: pbarkholz

Hello Paul

Please send the project to mayuresh.athalekar@autodesk.com for investigation. Please details out specific issues that requires investigation and expected result also.

Regards,
Mayuresh Athalekar
AutoCAD Electrical Team
Message 3 of 12
kc8akw
in reply to: mathalekar

Paul:

Check to make sure you have tags for the material that is missing from your project. We were experimenting with the tag based BOM and found that if there was no tag, the items did not show up in our bill of material. Once a tag was entered, the items began to show up. Further, AutoCAD did not have a tolerance for fractional amounts, such as half of a length of wire duct.
Message 4 of 12
pbarkholz
in reply to: kc8akw

All the items have tags, the items not showing up in the "Normal Tallied Format" BOM are items that are part of components using the Multiple Catalog button when inserting components into the schematics.  If I for example insert a distribution block into my panel layout only the distribution block shows up in the BOM not the (2) covers which were added to the schematic symbol upon insertion using the Multiple Catalog feature.

However, when inserting components into my panel layout and I have the Multiple Catalog box checked and insert the distribution block and each of the the distribution blocks separately they all show up in the BOM properly.  I am trying not to have to do this since my company has thousands of components we use creating separate blocks for everything is very time consuming not to mention the extra time involved in inserting them separately as well.

Paul E. Barkholz
Message 5 of 12
dougmcalexander

Be sure to run a database rebuild prior to generating reports or even prior to exporting to a spreadsheet.  Type AEREBUILDDB at the command prompt and press enter.  Choose Full Rebuild.  Autodesk doesn't think this is necessary (so they didn't add the command to the ribbon) but the database manager doesn't keep current on the state of your drawings in real time.  If you make changes just prior to exporting data to a spreadsheet, or generating a report, the database can be out of sync with your drawings.

Hint: I use the CUI editor to add the Rebuild/Freshen Project Database command to my menu.  I place it between Update/Retag and Utilities on the Project Tools tab.  I shorten the name to Rebuild DB and set the button style to Large with Text Vertical.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 12
kc8akw
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Just gotta say it. If you know the step needs to be taken, why not simply run a rebuild when a report is generated?
Message 7 of 12
pbarkholz
in reply to: kc8akw

I do run a full rebuild before any report and I still get the same same results.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul E. Barkholz
Message 8 of 12
testsubject

I found that I needed to add extra attrbutes to my footprints to accomodate the items in the Multiple BOM list.

XX =01 to 99

MFGXX

CATXX

WDBLKNAMXX (used to point to the proper Table in the catalog database)

I did not do all 99 just 2 or 3 depending on the part ( I knew which ones had extra items in the MBL)

After adding these to the footprints I had no more trouble with items not transferring from the schematics to the panel layout.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 9 of 12
dougmcalexander

You should not have to do that Bob. The Multiple Catalog parts are entered as xdata. It's okay to add the attributes but if none exist, the xdata is added automatically when you use multiple catalog. You can see it using the xdata editor.

If you want to preload multiple catalog parts into a symbol, so you don't have to do a lookup each time, the attributes are definitely the way to do it.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 10 of 12
pbarkholz
in reply to: testsubject

Bob,

would it be possible to either email or post a picture of an example of what you did so I can verify that I am adding the correct things into my blocks in order to test this out.

Just to be sure, the extra attributes you are referring to are added to the footprint block?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul E. Barkholz
Message 11 of 12
dougmcalexander

Bob might be busy;  The attributes he is referring to are MFG01, CAT01, CNT01, etc. up to MFG99, CAT99, CNT99, etc.  You can add these to either a schematic symbol or a panel layout footprint.  

Note: The software automatically pushes the Multiple Catalog entries into your symbol as xdata if these attributes are not built into the block.  The attributes are not needed unless you want to pre-load them with subassembly part data, or push the data in using the TEXTVALUE field.  

If you add the MFG01 and CAT01 attributes to a schematic symbol, you can use the TEXTVALUE field of the catalog database to fill in these attributes automatically when you choose the main part.  For example, find the record for an OMRON MY2-24VDC-(S) control relay.  Edit the record, uncheck As Main>Sub if checked, and add MFG01=OMRON;CAT01=PYF08A-N to the TEXTVALUE field. After you assign the part number and click OK out of the edit dialog, the subassembly part is assigned.  Go back and edit the relay symbol and you will see a "1" next to the Multiple Catalog button.  If your project is set to item numbering on a per-part number basis the socket can be assigned a separate item number, instead of sharing the item number of the relay.

You could alternately add an MFG01and CAT01 attribute to a relay footprint (see attached) and pre-load these attributes with the socket manufacturer and catalog number.  This way, when you insert the footprint from a schematic list you get the socket without having to click multiple catalog and lookup the part manually.  This is only necessary when the subassembly part must have a unique item number, and you have your project set to item numbering by per-part number basis.  Ordinarily you use the Assembly Code method to create subassembly combinations in the catalog database.  But when each subassembly part must be assigned a separate item number from its main part, you must use the Multiple Catalog method.

If you need more than one of a particular subassembly part you can add a CNT01 attribute along with the MFG01 and CAT01 attribute and give it a value that is the quantity of the MFG01 and CAT01 part needed.  You can add up to 99 subassembly parts, numbered MFG01 to 99, CAT01 to 99, CN01 to 99, etc.

Hint: If you load a subassembly part into a symbol block using the MFG01, CAT01 method and the part is in a different table than the main part, you also need to add a WDBLKNAM01 attribute with its value set to the table where the part is located.  For example, a fuse is in the FU table but if you pre-load a fuseholder part number into the footprint using the MFG01 and CAT01 method, and the fuseholder is a terminal style fuseholder, be sure to add a WDBLKNAM01 attribute to the footprint as well, with a value of TRMS, so the BOM generator can find the fuseholder data.

Doug McAlexander

Message 12 of 12
KOBI1912

i experianced same problem, so i delete the "project Name".mdb

(need to close if the project is active -for Deletion)

THE RUN AEREBUILDDB

THIS IS ALSO HELP WHEN XREF LOOSE TRACK FROM REAL PAGES

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost