AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

auto wire number is changing fixed wire numbers!

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1187 Views, 9 Replies

auto wire number is changing fixed wire numbers!

The wire number saga continues. Does anyone know why after I have placed a wire number as fixed onto a wire that when you then run the auto wire number for the remaining wires that some of the fixed items disappear? They are not renumbered and are fixed either side of a terminal VT1002 taken from the library before running the autowire command.

Cheers

Phil

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: Anonymous

I wasn't able to reproduce any issue so far with fixed wire numbers. Can you provide more details

What version of AcadE?

Is it all fixed wire numbers or just certains ones? If only some is there a pattern to the ones that are not staying fixed?

If you can post a drawing that would be helpful also.

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development ā€“ AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

Hi Pat

I have attached one of the drawings in question. As for a pattern, I am not sure if its an issue of the component type the wire is assigned to but surely if the wire is fixed it should never change.

I am using ACADE2009 with SP3 loaded.

Regards

Phil

Message 4 of 10
PatMurnen_Adsk

I think I may have found is causing this. 

Look at the sample drawing you posted, at connector -P3. This connector was inserted set to not change the wire number through it. I can tell this by the WD_JUMPERS invisible intelligence on the block. However, the drawing shows a wire number, W1312H20-2 going into terminal pin #2 and wire number W1312C22-2 coming out of the connector at pin #2. This is incorrect since the connector is set to not change wire numbers through. Each wire has an invisible piece of xdata intelligence. This data carries the wire number block's unique handle. If the wire number's actual handle does not match the handle data on the wire, it is seen as a problem and AcadE tries to remove the wire number even if it is fixed. These wires are actually pointing to the correct wire number on the other side of the connector.

So, AcadE tries to remove the wire number that does not belong. However, it looks like there is some internal issue with AcadE removing these inline wire numbers and healing the wires. I still need to do some investigating on this. It may be because the wire number attributes are not at the wire itself, it looks like maybe they have been moved. It also may be because there are actually wires that meet end to end where this really should be one wire piece. But, anyway the wire number is removed but the wire is not correctly healed. Due, to this a new wire number is added on the wire number piece.

If you actually intended that the wire number should change through the connector I would recommend removing the WD_JUMPRS attribute value on the connector. If you double-click on the connector it should bring up the enhanced attribute editor where you can remove the value.

This will not solve the issue compeltely due to the wire number pointer mismatch and whatever is causing the issue with AcadE to heal the wires when the invalid wire numbers are removed. You might need to erase the wire numbers and fix the wires manually to get back to being able to run the Insert Wire Numbers command successfully.

If I find out why the wires do not heal I will post the information here.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 10

Hi Pat!  Will Drawing Audit correct the situation? I recently ran across an issue where a customer was using %S%N style ladder references with angled wire symbols.  I created a daisy chain jumpering the common of 8 relay contacts.  For some reason, and only with %S%N style rung numbers, AcadE was assigning a new wire number across some, but not all, of the angled wire symbols.  I created this particular drawing and I know it was done cleanly, yet AcadE was assigning a new wire number across 3 of the 7 angled wire symbols.  I ran a Drawing Audit, which claimed to find some bogus wire numbers.  Everything works fine now.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 10
PatMurnen_Adsk

Running the Drawing Audit is a good idea. However, in this case it will have the same issue as the wire numbering, it will remove the incorrect wire numbers but it will not be able to heal the wires. It looks like it can't heal the wires because the wire connection attributes fall too far away from the wire ends. At least that is what I am thinking so far but I will log it so it can be looked at further.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Pat

I have attached the resultant drawing after running the audit, removing the WD_JUMPER text and then runnign an auto wire command. Fixed wire numbers are being removed from either side of terminals and the connectors which should be set as wire number change components. I think this was the case anyway but for now will probably have to manually number the wires which can take on the %D-%S-%N style.

Regards

Phil

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Pat

Not sure if the attached sheds any more light on the problem but I have deleted P3 and reinserted a new component with the wire number change attribute checked. Just running the auto wire number produced the same results as before  with fixed wire numbers dissappearing. For the wire on pin 1 of the connector I deleted and rewired from X14-11 to pin 1 of the connector X1. I then edited the wire number as fixed and again ran the auto wire number. This time the wire number remianed as required. Hope this doesn't mean I have to redraw all my drawings in this project!!

Regards

Phil

Message 9 of 10
PatMurnen_Adsk

If the connectors were inserted originally as "No wire number change" then this is how AcadE will treat them. Which makes the wire numbers on the other side invalid whether they are fixed or not. Also, if the wire number intelligence is not correct then running the Drawing Audit or re-running wire numbering will remove the invalid wire numbers. So just reinserting the connector will not make the intelligence on those wire numbers correct. It is still pointing to the original wire number on the left side so will be removed when re-run. And if the wire connection attributes are not on the wire then AcadE won't be able to heal the wires where these wire numbers were removed. So if these conditions are found on other drawings then they will need to be fixed for AcadE to function properly.

I am guessing that the wire numbers were added manually since AcadE wouldn't insert them automatically and because they didn't appear to match the wire number format for the drawing? And it appeared that the wires were manually stretched to accomodate the longer wire numbers which is probably what caused the wire number attributes to no longer be on the actual wire. When the wire numbers are inserted automatically all that is taken care of, the wires are adjusted to accomodate the inline wire number text length and the wire connection attributes are adjusted so they still fall on the wire ends.

So once you fix the issues, that is insert the correct connectors, remove the invalid wire numbers (use Drawing Audit) and fix the wires, you should be able to take advantage of the wire number insertion from that point on. 

Regards,

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Again many thanks. Just a point to note regarding the wire number stretch issue you mentioned. I used the project wide utility to change the font size of the wire numbers. I dont really think this is a cause as it did this before I changed the font size.

Cheers

Phil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost