AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto routing lines/wires

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
kjmc1234
1787 Views, 1 Reply

auto routing lines/wires

Referred here from acad forum:
Hi,

I want to create a single schematic diagram. I have tables of interconnection data(point to point) and block types. I can import or create the physical components in cad.

Does acad/acade have the ability to auto genrate lines between designated connections on a cad block? If im not mistaken they do wire routing for enclosures, im looking for something like that. I have data in access so a vba interface capability would be ideal.

Basically, at its simplest level i want to insert several blocks with defined connection points and have acad draw the lines, whether individual or joined by junction points. Id like to scale it so automation is preferred, i am familier already with vba. Undedstand they have several othe roptions now. At the highest level, i would read a database, insert appropriate cad block and automatically route wires to it, i would assign unique coordinates so assume block insertions would not overlay with another, with an automation script.

Is this even posible with acad/acade to auto generate lines? Are the ne rssary functions available in a vba or lisp interface?

Hopefully im clear with my questions, let me know and i will clarify.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dougmcalexander
in reply to: kjmc1234

AutoCAD Electrical has a command called Interconnect Components. As long as the wire connection between component symbols are in line this command will insert wires between the components. But you engage the command and select all component symbols that should interconnect. It's not fully automated, but semi-automated. You might try making some API calls to add more automation.

AutoCAD Electrical is not stellar at automating the creation of single-line diagrams. It has a special group of symbols with an attribute called WDTYPE, filled with a value of 1-. These symbols can share the same tag as a 3-line symbol without triggering an error popup. AutoCAD Electrical does create an intelligent link between the single-line symbol and all other symbols that share the same tag. So a change to single-line symbol can trigger updates to the related panel footprint, 3-line symbol, and even a P&ID, hydraulic, or pneumatic symbols.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost