AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another weird tagging question...

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
cbenner
315 Views, 2 Replies

Another weird tagging question...

I am still working on the P&ID conversion.  Finally have some time to look at a few things.  One question on parent/child tagging....

I have instruments that will be inlne, that are then connected to an offline display or transmitter.  Example, a pressure transmitter.  The instrument tag would be PI... but the transmitter needs to be PIT.  I want the PIT to be a child of the PI, but when I select the parent, it reverts the tag back to the PI.  And if I manually change the tag to PIT... it loses parent child relationship.

Is there any known trick to pull this off?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dougmcalexander
in reply to: cbenner

AutoCAD Electrical connects parent to child via the tag, so that will be a problem.  You might be able use the WDTAGALT option, if you are not using this already to link to a schematic component.  You can enter the alternate tag of the same device in the WDTAGALT attribute of each related device.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 3
cbenner
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thanks Doug,

I feared that might be the answer.  Eventually we do want to link to our schematics, so I think I may have to find a workaround to this.  I'll have to come up with some creative way of defining the Family portion of the tag for the child component. 

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost