AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angled wire spacing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
svend007
497 Views, 4 Replies

Angled wire spacing

Just wondered if there is a way to control the spacing of the angled wire inserted after another is already present on a particular component. It seems to default to 2.54mm, which is pretty useless when working in mm on a 1 or 2mm grid (snap).

I'm talking about the vertical spacing to the initial wire above or below the angled one added.

Cheers,

Pete B.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: svend007

The angled wire offset is controlled by the Feature Scale Multiplier on the Drawing Format tab of Drawing Properties.  Be careful if you change this value.  It changes the scale of all symbols.  Note: Don't use the FSM to scale inches to metric or vice versa.  This affects the wire trap distance and can cause irregularities with wire numbering, cross-referencing, etc.  I recommend no more than a value of 2 (doubling the size of symbols) and no less than 0.5 (scaling symbols by half).

If you want to exercise total control of the angled wire offset, use the angled wire option under Insert Wire instead.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5

If you "cheat", and set the wire trap distance to 0.625, you'll get it at 2.5 mm.

The default value of 0.635 seems like a typo for "mm full size"?

Use the command (setq GBL_WD_TRP 0.625) to set a different trap distance.

I guess you can try to incorporate this into wd.env also. Haven't got the time to have a closer look at that right now.

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 4 of 5
svend007
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have the FSM set to 1 and 'mm full size selected, if I start messing around with the scale of my components, then they'll be off the grid (snap) too.

Ideally, needs to be a multiple of 1mm. ie 2 or 3mm spacing, don't want to have to go down to .5mm snap points.

Easiest to use the 45 degree wire, then I get the correct spacing.

Thanks again,

Pete B.

BTW, I have to say this seems a bit of a 'fudge' for metric users, especially if u use snap on which I'm guessing most do.

Message 5 of 5
dsnodgrass
in reply to: rhesusminus

Trond,

As you suggested to the OP I added SETQ:GBL_WD_TRP,'0.03125 to the WD.env file. 

After starting ACADE I check the variable:

Command: !GBL_WD_TRP

Run the command "aewire" and check again:

I run this lisp code:

(if (not GBL_WD_TRP)
	(princ (strcat "\nGBL_WD_TRP set to: " (rtos (setq GBL_WD_TRP 0.03125)) "\n"))
	(princ (strcat "\nGBL_WD_TRP changed from " (rtos GBL_WD_TRP) " to " (rtos (setq GBL_WD_TRP 0.03125)) "\n"))
)

Check again:

Run the command "aewire" and check again:

I have also tried to make this change in the wd_load.lsp file but the first use "aewire" overwrites it again.

Can you think of another routine that I might be able to use the lisp code in to overwrite the aewire's initializations of this variable?

Thanks,

DS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost