AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AE 'out of box' symbol tags?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Tim_L
462 Views, 3 Replies

AE 'out of box' symbol tags?

Hi,

Here is a quick question. The NFPA 79 contains a list of common designations for symbols and codes. CR is on the list for Control Relay but CRM is also on the list for Control Relay Master, which is not even on the ‘out of the box’ symbol list. MTR is on the NFPA list but when I insert a motor the tag comes in as MOT. If I do not change the ‘out of the box’ tags and do not create new ones, is AE following a standard that I can site when someone asks me ‘why did use that tag’?

Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Tim_L

The default tags for the "JIC" versions of the symbols date back to 1995 and were created following general practice at that time instead of conforming to a published standard.

You have a couple options. One is to edit the motor library symbols to change the TAG1/TAG2 default values to "MTR". The other is to remap the ones you don't like in an ascii text file named wd_fam.dat. For example, you insert a couple lines in this file like this:

MOT,MTR

LT,PL

... which would then trigger AutoCAD Electrical to change the default tag from "MOT" to "MTR" for motor symbols and from "LT" to "PL" for pilot light symbols.

Here is this info as found in the "Electrical Help" for a search on "wd_fam.dat":

{color:#ff0000}

Automatically override family tag codes

A component’s family name can be overridden at insertion time, during a later edit, or automatically using the wd_fam.dat mapping file. The wd_fam.dat file overrides the family tag code of library symbols by mapping the codes to new values. The tag code of a symbol is used in generating the tag-ID of inserted components, such as the “PB” of tag-ID “PB101.”

AutoCAD Electrical searches for this mapping file in the following order:

User subdirectory

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings{username}\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical {version}{release}{country code}\Support\User\

Windows Vista: C:\Users{username}\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical {version}{release}{country code}\Support\User\

Active project's .wdp file subdirectory

All paths defined under AutoCAD Options Files Support Files Search Path

Depending on how you want to override component family names, you can move the wd_fam.dat file into the various locations mentioned above.

To always substitute a new family value for all projects you create, place the file in the User folder. (option 1
To use AutoCAD Electrical defaults most of the time but sometimes override them with project-specific defaults, place the file in the project folders for the project you want to override. You can have different defaults for each project. (option 2)

If you want a default override from the AutoCAD Electrical default values, but sometimes want a project override to the global override, you will want to use option 3 and 2. Place the file somewhere in the AutoCAD support path, like “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Acade 200x\Acade,” and then when you want to override these values, place the file in the project folder.{color}

Edited by: nateholt on Aug 17, 2009 12:37 PM Edited by: nateholt on Aug 18, 2009 2:48 AM
Message 3 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Tim_L

I travel across America and other parts of the world teaching AutoCAD Electrical. I can tell you that, in general, the standard is no standard. I wish that were not the case. In Europe they follow an established standard called IEC almost to the letter, no matter where you go. However in America, it is as if no standards exist. I have seen control relays tagged as CR, MCR, R, RC, and a unique tag for each relay, according to its function in that particular machine. I've been using AutoCAD Electrical since 1997. The JIC symbols in AutoCAD Electrical appeared to inherit the most common tagging schemes seen around the U.S., most of which do match published standards, the chief being JIC. The Joint Industrial Council (JIC) dissolved by the 1980s so the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) was asked to take over. The NFPA released NFPA-79 which incorporated the JIC standards with some updates. I think what you see with AutoCAD Electrical and its predecessor is an attempt to appeal to the everyday user. Thus you will see the most commonly accepted tagging formats, most of which do match the JIC standards. But in a few cases you may also see what I refer to as technical colloquialisms.

The term wire number is a form of colloquialism. It is actually an electrical node number, or even a potential number, to be downright technical about it. We have a colloquialism associated with ladders as well. Is it really a 1-phase ladder when you use L1 and L2? The term single-phase technically refers to a power source derived from a single "hot" phase and neutral,

The developers were tasked with creating an electrical design tool that allows us to design highly sophisticated machinery, yet the tool itself must be as intuitive as possible so the designer doesn't lose himself/herself in learning the tool. Thus it appears that the developers chose to incorporate common terminology and common practices into the software, not an absolute adherence to a certain standard. Again, back in the days when AutoCAD Electrical was created the established standard in the U.S. was more of an "every man for himself" standard.

Consider this: Where did we get the standard for using blue wire for D.C. control voltage? It is a “defacto” standard derived from the common practices at automobile manufacturers. Since automobile manufacturers were among the first to incorporate sophisticated control systems, their common practices became a “defacto” standard. Once in a while I run across someone who uses red for DC(+) and black for DC(-).

Don't assume that the major corporations are following standards to a proverbial “t”. One of the oldest and most recognizable electrical companies, known throughout the world, uses component tags on a "circuit-function" basis. Each time they insert a symbol they manually enter its tag, according to the component’s use within the machine. Thus no two relays will necessarily have the same tagging format. One may be RM12 while another is TM42, and another is KC14. The format has nothing to do with published electrical standards. They just have a system in place whereby the name of the relay tells them what control circuit function it serves.

In summation, I do not fault the developers of AutoCAD Electrical with regard to symbol libraries. They could have chosen to release a common design tool and let us create our own symbols. They gave us the symbol builder tool just for that purpose. But they were also kind enough to give us over 1500 symbols in various orientations as a sort of “starter set” that we could use and tweak as desired. With this starter set of symbols they had to choose some default tagging scheme from the various ones that existed at the time. What they chose was mostly from the JIC standards but with a few variations, based upon common practices of the time. But we have the option to modify to our delight, either by changing the default in the TAG attribute of the symbol files or by using the alternate wd_fam.dat ASCII file method. And not to forget you can use the Symbol Builder and just create your own symbol(s).

I think If AutoCAD Electrical had been developed in this decade we might had seen more of a strict adherence to current U.S. symbol standards, since the world is becoming more interested in not only national but international standards. For example the IEC library that ships with AutoCAD Electrical was developed a few years ago in accordance with IEC60617, which governs the appearance of the symbols, and IEC61346, which governs the tagging format. But two owners ago, when the program was developed, there were various published standards and even more common practice "defacto" standards. It's funny to note that today, with the published ANSI-Y32.2 and IEEE-315 symbol standards clearly in place, alongside the NFPA-79 and UL-508A safety standards, I can visit 5 companies and find 4 or maybe even 5 different "standards" in use in America.

Edited by: dougmcalexander on Aug 17, 2009 9:04 PM Edited by: dougmcalexander on Aug 17, 2009 9:13 PM

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Doug,

Just to add that ANSI/ISA 5.1-1984 was around before WD (AutoCAD Electrical) and is still WIDELY in use, but is wide open to interpretation by it's design, however it would be the equivalent of the IEC standard in the US.  Even a configuration loosely following this standard would at least be a good starting point to standardize the industry.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost