AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding USER fields to Catalog Database

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jdenny
613 Views, 3 Replies

Adding USER fields to Catalog Database

Has anyone figured out a way to add additional USER fields (beyond USER3) to the catalog database and have them show up in reports? The help file says you can add additional fields but they are "ignored" in the reports. I'm not sure why I would add them if they cant be retrieved logically. I really need to capture additional custom data for components. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-----------------------------
Jeff Denny
Sr. Engineering Manager
Harris Corporation
Melbourne, Florida
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rhesusminus
in reply to: jdenny

Instead of adding extra user-fields to the database, can you use the TEXTVALUE-field?

Just enter :

MYDATA1=SOMETHING;MYDATA2=MORESOMETHING

into this field, and assign it to a component.

IF there is an attribute named MYDATA1 or MYDATA2 in the object, the value will be copied to this attribute. If NOT these attributes exist in the symbol, they'll be saved in the Xdata of the symbol.

Now, go to the reports tab, and press User Attributes. Here, you can add MYDATA1 and MYDATA2 as some values that you want to use in reports. Save these settings in a .wda file (preferably, for testing purposes, Projectname.wda, locatied in the project folder.).

Now, run the report-command (BOM), and see that you get access to your company specific data.

Not exactly what you wanted, but it works like a charm.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 4
matt.brown
in reply to: jdenny

Another option is to just delete the Manufacturer Data that comes stock in the USER1, USER2 and USER3 fields in the database from Autodesk and reclaim these fields.

In the 2015 version, This only impacts ABB products for

PB family code (in USER3 field)

LT family code (in USER2 and USER3 fields)

AN family code (in USER3 field)

Sometimes public shaming works, LOL

Message 4 of 4
matt.brown
in reply to: matt.brown

Actually, I stand corrected, there is data in the USER1-3 fields from ABB in the following family codes: AN,LT,PB,PLCIO,PW,SS as well as from AB and ABB in the DR family code.

The problem is the way the data was merged into the table to begin with, (general series number was often used as a catalog number and the actual catalog number was placed in the USERX fields). 

I just deleted all records in the associated tables from these manufacturers in these specific family codes and reclaimed the USER1-USER3 fields.  Not the prettiest way to address it, but it also works.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost