AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Ref Drawings to BOM

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jbunch55
422 Views, 4 Replies

Adding Ref Drawings to BOM

When I create a schematic drawing I place my referenced drawing numbers in the BOM. Reference drawings such as, HYD schematic, Block Diagram, System Layout, etc..

<See attached image>

My question is, what would be the best( most intuitive) way to have these ref drawings added to the automatically generated BOM?

I was wonder if a lisp could be made to bring up a window that allows the designer to choose from the catalog or type the ref drawings part number in, which then adds it to the BOM once the report is updated.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
metal_pro2
in reply to: jbunch55

You could add your ref drawings to the parts database catalog using the drawing number as the "Catalog" number and "REF DRAWINGS" as Manufacturer and also add drawing descriptions. Then create a component symbol with no graphic just attributes, insert it in the drawing and assign the catalog information from the dwg numbers you previously added. These components will then be added along with all other items to the automatically generated BOM report.

Message 3 of 5
Icemanau
in reply to: metal_pro2

I don't know of any way to add the drawings to the BOM automaitcally, but when you right click on the project name in the project manager, you get a list of options.

One of these options is the Drawing List report. This lists all the dwgs within your project.

This report give you the Filename, the 3 dwg description lines at a minimum. I've added the dwg issue and a couple of other paremeters to the report.

All you need to do is to add this report to the same dwg as your BOM.

The only drawback is that the drawings you reference MUST be in the project for that to work.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
jbunch55
in reply to: metal_pro2

Thanks the ideas,

Brad- The Ref drawings would be outside of the project.

I've been thinking about doing it the way Metal_Pro mentioned.

Two cons to this method are its not very "proper" and what happens if you need to remove a reference drawing.

Any idea if a Lisp could be written to populate an invisible components CAT01, CAT02,... And MFG01, MFG02 etc? It would also need to be able to remove the attribute values if need be.

Thanks,

James

Message 5 of 5
metal_pro2
in reply to: jbunch55

You can do almost anything in AutoCad with LISP the only limitation is your Programming skill level. I would suggest that VBA or .NET would be better for your suggested application as you could have a nice graphical interface to the database of Reference drawings when it comes time to select the drawings.

If you use my original suggestion you would not have to do any programming just use the already existing ACAD electric BOM functions. When you need to remove a reference drawing from a BOM simply erase the symbol from the drawing like any other component and rerun the report. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost