AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding destination arrow doesn't allow for "updating source"

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
sethtriad
1256 Views, 11 Replies

Adding destination arrow doesn't allow for "updating source"

I'm trying to add source/destination arrows to a ladder in a project I'm working on, but when I add the destination arrow, ACADE doesn't allow me to "update source". If I try to manually update the source, by opening the dwg with the source arrow in it, right click, and select "retag/update", the XREF gets filled with "??". 

The other day, I was adding source/destination arrows with no problem, on different drawings, but any new drawings that I add to the project won't work the way they used to. I've tried a full rebuild (AEREBUILDDB) and updating the signal reference (AEUPDATESIGREF) which didn't help. The ladders I'm trying to update now are different ladders than the ones that worked the other day, but I don't know why they aren't working. 

Here is the workflow I'm currently trying to get this done, and was working in the past:

Start with a DWG that has a ladder labled "PCX2." Add source arrow to the end of the ladder and make sure the code is "PCX2." Save the file, then open the second DWG for adding the destination arrow. I select the ladder which continues the PCX2 signal, and edit the wire number to match: "PCX2". Then, I select destination arrow, and select the wire. When the Insert Destination Code dialog appears, I'm only given the option to select "recent", "drawing", and "pick". I've tried using "recent", which will add and update the destination code, but it will not allow me to automatically update the source. When I reopen the DWG with the source arrow, and try to manually update the source, I get "??" as the XREF. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
algerj
in reply to: sethtriad

Hi sethtriad,

For starters, it sounds like you're editing the drawings when they are not in the Active Project, which would be the reason you don't see the "project" option.

Also what version of ACADE Are you running?

Double check that you have the latest service pack on the Autodesk website, or you can check for updates while in the product. 

Depending on the version of software you will click on some that looks like a satellite dish (2010 - 2012) , or it will look like a triangle thing [ honestly I don't know how else to describe it] (2013+).

In both cases its part of the Help menu 

There was an issue in the 2012 version that was fixed in the Service packs.

(I can't remember which one but I think it was sp1).

I hope this helps,

James Alger

Message 3 of 12
sethtriad
in reply to: algerj

Unfortunately, the drawings are all in the active project, which is why this is bugging me so much, and I'm currently using ACADE 2011.
Message 4 of 12
TomTom111

Hello sethtriad,

I had a similar problem with this, but it was in Electrical 2013.

What i did to remedy this was to delete the database that holds all of this information (source and destination locations, tag locations, parent and child components, etc.)

You can find these database files under the local folder here...

C:\Users\*USER*\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 20**\R**\enu\Support\User

*Make sure Electrical is closed*

When there, organize the contents in the folder by type, and this should group all of the .mdb files together.

Find the .mdb file associated with your project, and delete it.

Restart Electrical and open your project and see if all is well.

-Regards

Thomas Walls

CADMASTER TECHNOLOGIES, LLC

www.cadmastertech.com

Message 5 of 12
johnq
in reply to: TomTom111

Hi

Message 6 of 12
johnq
in reply to: johnq

Hi Sethtriad

All of the above hints are valid and should be checked.

I am on ace2012.  In my learning days I had much trouble making this feature work.  So I offer my process.

I always do the source first.

If the destination is on another sheet,  say no to the question regarding "do you want to do the destination now".  For me this only works when the destination is on the same sheet.

When  I change to the sheet requiring the destination arrow, click the refresh button before you try to add the destination.

The wires on both s & d need to be on the same wire wire layer.  No CAD lines;  ONLY ACE  wires.

I do not have a wire number on the destination wire.  Having a wire number on the destination seems to muck it up even if it is the same as the source.

To do an up date I do the I change to the source first,  then the destination using the retag button.

If I need to update or change the wire number AFTER  the S & D,  I edit the original wire number.  Even if the has been hidden.  

Check the config in attached snap shot.  You probably know all sheets must have a unique sheet number. 

Now the feature works well for me.   It was a pain at first.

Hope this helps.

Cheers  john Q

Message 7 of 12
mathalekar

when you insert a source or destination in differnt drawings, both source & destination insertion dialog boxes have button "OK+Update Source" & "Ok+Update Destination" buttons in respective dialog box. In ACADE, the values of references are written if the workflow is disconnected (Meaning source is written first in drawing & later a destination routine is separately invoked and trying to associate S & D). In this case, it is always recommended to use the special forced routine "Ok+Update Soruce" or "Ok+update destination". Add wires no, or update DB routines does find the links & update accordingly. Ofcourse before doing these all activities you must set your referencing systems properly otherwise ACADE may show "???" if it fails to find proper references. (Some quick examples are like sheet/drawing reference no, column, row references from template etc)

Message 8 of 12
johnq
in reply to: mathalekar

Hi Mayuresh

I am on 2013.   Attached is the window that comes up when I try to do a Source / Destination on different sheets.

I have tried all logical variables BUt when i try to swap sheets, a message appears that reads" command  still running"   I can not go any further.

It is not holding me up but it would be nice to use the feature.

Cheers  johnq

Message 9 of 12
mathalekar

"Command is running...." kind of message comes up if when current update process of sheet across project by Source-destination feature due to even a click in drawing canvas. Could you send me a brief video to my email id mayuresh.athalekar@autodesk.com.

You also can keep a monitor on command line window keeping open by pressing F2 to invoke in canvas.

The snapshot you have attached also has "OK+Update Destination" which is more recommended way to keep your source & destination links updated. Let me knowi if i am missing something.

Message 10 of 12
johnq

Hi Mayuresh

Thank you for your quick response.  

My face is red! I have been doing the s & d correctly, but I was trying to read into the dialog more than what was there.

When it asks "do you want to add the destination now?" I was saying 'yes', expecting to be able to change sheets if required.

This forum is my only source of information. While I work for a company, I do not have access to local help.

I apologize for my misunderstanding; I did not know what planet I was on.

Cheers from down under. 

John Q

Message 11 of 12
mathalekar

Hope your issue is resolved Johnq. You can highlight solution to this problem by accepting the solution whatever feels suitable from posts, if you like to !! Smiley Happy

This is for other forum members to quick check !!

Message 12 of 12
johnq

Hi

Yes close and burry. Figuratively speaking.

Cheers jq

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost