AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding attribute to AE component

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Jay Mackey
348 Views, 4 Replies

Adding attribute to AE component

In AE, the chassis ground is just a symbol with no description or location attribute. I believe that its only attribute is its wire connection attribute, although I don't know much about how that works yet.

What is the procedure for adding my own attribute to this symbol? I want to have a visible Description and/or Location attribute on my chassis ground symbols.

Thanks,

Jay
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Jay Mackey

Jay,
You should use the "black box builder" to modify the existing chassis ground symbol (add attributes) then save it as a new symbol.
How to use the builder can be found in help.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Chad
Message 3 of 5
Jay Mackey

Thanks, Chad.

I thought that might be a way to do it, but I didn't know if it was 'the' way to do it.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

You can just open the symbol's dwg file in AutoCAD (it is probably in your ...\libs\jic1 or ...\libs\jic125 folder) and add the appropriate ATTDEF entities, just like any normal AutoCAD block (in fact, it is just an AutoCAD block). Attributes you want to add are probably LOC and DESC1 through DESC3. If you want it to trigger the INS/EDIT dialog to pop up when you insert it, add attribute TAG1F with a default value of "GND" or something like that. You can make this attribute definition as invisible if you don't want to see it. Save the modified dwg file. Purge the block from any existing dwgs and now you should see your new symbol show up when you insert the symbol from the AcadE icon menu. "Jay Mackey" wrote in message news:7480084.1089208283110.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > In AE, the chassis ground is just a symbol with no description or location attribute. I believe that its only attribute is its wire connection attribute, although I don't know much about how that works yet. > > What is the procedure for adding my own attribute to this symbol? I want to have a visible Description and/or Location attribute on my chassis ground symbols. > > Thanks, > > Jay
Message 5 of 5
Jay Mackey

Thanks Nate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost