AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add/modify associations in terminals

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
ADD_123
468 Views, 7 Replies

Add/modify associations in terminals

I am bit confused with adding jumpers between terminals and adding association between the terminals. Can anybody explain me the major difference between the two?

As such adding jumpers between the terminals is clear to me --- It creates wired connection between the two terminals. But how associating terminals with each other is different than adding jumpers.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Icemanau
in reply to: ADD_123

Adding Associations is for multi level terminals.

By associating the terminal symbols, you create a link in the data that tells ACADE that this terminal is part of a multi level terminal, what level this terminal is and any other information required.

This allow you to have one symbol for a level on one page and another symbol for the next level on a totally different page.

You can also add a link for a level to the next terminal.

The ONLY thing you have to watch out for, that I have found, is that you need to have specified a multi level terminal when you select the catalog number. If you don't ACADE will come back and say that the terminal is not suitable.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 8
ADD_123
in reply to: Icemanau

Thanks for the reply. Further to that, do you mean that there is no physical connection between the two associated terminals?

Message 4 of 8
drathak

In my industry (substation design) we only use multipoint terminal blocks rather than building a terminal strip from idividual pieces.  So we have to use the multi-level terminal setup to describe our blocks.  By associating two or more terminals I can make them be seen as all part of the same block. 

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 5 of 8
jalger

Hi Add_123,

Just to add to what was already posted.

You can have Internal Jumpers ( i.e. internal connections in the terminal) set in the Block properties.

You can have External Jumpers (done in the Terminal Strip Editor, its assumed that the connections have a free port or pin).

And then you have association, Association allows you to merge two separate terminals into one, usually for bill of material purposes.

Its not really a jumper its more like your saying its the same device. Joe has a good example of why you would do this.

As Brad mentioned you need to have multiple levels to start with, choosing a multi level terminal works or you can add levels in the block properties (same place as the Internal jumpers).

If you need an example I can post how to associate the Terminals (I had an older post with it but can't find it... )

I Hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 6 of 8
ADD_123
in reply to: jalger

Thanks for the reply. Would like to accept it as a solution.

Message 7 of 8
ccad2509
in reply to: jalger
Message 8 of 8
jalger
in reply to: ccad2509

Thanks CCAD2509,

(Gave you Kudos)

I Actually found mine too, 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-electrical-general/ways-to-use-terminal-blocks/m-p/5151598#M36...

I love how they made it so hard to search your own posts...LOL oh well I have it tagged now so I can find it.

Regards,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost