AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACE2013 updating created custom symbols

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
napthali
1427 Views, 3 Replies

ACE2013 updating created custom symbols

AutoCAD Electrical 2013:

This question deals with trying to push an update for a custom symbol to a project.

I created a custom symbol with the "Symbol Builder" and then added it to a catalog under Schematic->Insert Components->Catalog List. After that I updated the symbol and tried to reinsert it into my drawing, but the old, unchanged symbol was inserted. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

More info:

*Creating a new project with a new drawing, and then inserting the symbol will fix the problem for the new project. If I copy the correct symbol from the new project into the old project, it is reverted to the incorrect version of the symbol upon pasting.

*If I Copy the symbol file to a file with  a different name, it will insert as the correct version.

--- My conclusion is that ACE must have some cached copies of each symbol in the project. I have thusfar been unable to find it, but if it can be updated, then this problem can be fixed.

---I understand that creating a new symbol with a different name will work, but that is a hack, and will mess up your symbol naming conventions. This makes the renaming solution undesirable.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
testsubject
in reply to: napthali

To update an existing symbol, selecet Swap/Update block and then select Option B: Update Block. Then select the symbol and it will ask you if you want to apply it for the drawing or project. Select what you want and then let it run. This will update the block.

FYI. Block handling is an ACAD function not ACE. Each symbol is inserted into a drawing as a block and when you insert a new symbol, this block is added to the drawing.

It the symbol you want to change is not on the drawing but you think it may be stored in the drawing, try purging the drawing and select to purge only blocks. This will clear any block that is not referenced on the drawing.After that try inserting your new symbol. It should work now.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 4
napthali
in reply to: testsubject

Schematic -> Edit Components -> Swap/Update Block

Message 4 of 4
testsubject
in reply to: napthali

That is correct.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost