AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACE2012 Problems

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
215 Views, 1 Reply

ACE2012 Problems

Hi all

I hope with this rant I help someone in the future and that someone from AutoDESK reads this story.

With help from other contributers to this forum I have learnt a little about makeing a BoM and I have produced one BOM formatted how my manager wants it to look.

So today I started on my second project requiring a BoM.

Forgetting the two FATAL ERRORS I had today editing the BOM has been time consuming.

I have three entries that were giving me problems.

I tried the following and none worked.

1 realocating the data from the default datat base to the "edit Componant"

2 removing the sub assy from the "parent" component.

3 delete component and re installing.

4 purge all old blocks out of drawing  (the default setting)

5 retry the report.

What worked was:

removing the three componants fromt he drawings,   Purging the componants.  Close the project and drawings.

Shut ACE2012.  

Shut down the computer.

When I shut down with these problems I pull the plug to the computer so that any data still set in memory is reset by a "cold" start.  The on/off switch no longer isolates power on many computers.

Wella    the next time time I ran the reports the errent parts dissapeared from the BOM.

It is a ****ile data base.  IMHO. 

The long and short of my afternoons work is that next time if I have a silly problem I will shut down.  I no longer have confidence in the ability I ACE2012 to be able to tidy up a data base when I make a mistake.

I do not know enough about ACE2012 to play with the various files that are some time recomended by learned gents on this forum.

May be in time.

Cheers   johnQ

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

You seem to have way too many issues with the software.  I am suspicious of you workflow.  2012 has been very robust.  Sure there is the occasional crash, as with any database.  I have more crashes with my other software that is driven by the database. Fortunately Electrical only uses the database for internal processing and stores all drawing data in the drawings themselves.  When I suspect that the database may have become corrupted I exit Electrical and delete the project scratch database file in the User subfolder.  There is a file for each project.  It will be named the same as the project.wdp file but with a .mdb file extension.  Deleting the project in any other program destroys drawing data.  Deleting this database with AutoCAD Electrical is actually healthy from time to time, especially if you suspect you have mixed plain AutoCAD commands with Electrical commands while working on Electrical project drawings.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost