AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACE2012 - Customizing Project Description Labels

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Outbound
1716 Views, 13 Replies

ACE2012 - Customizing Project Description Labels

Obvious beginner....

Despite various sources of instruction, I am unable to create default project description labels.  I can create project description labels when I establish a new project, but I am unable to create a default file that results in Line 1 = Customer, Line 2 = Location, etc.  I have made a text file and saved it as "wdtitle", "wdtitle.wdl", "Default.wdtitle" etc.  My intent is that a title block related dialog box will display "Customer", ...  in stead of "Line 1".  

Suggestions appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
testsubject
in reply to: Outbound

What you want to do is create the default_wdtitle.wdl file.

There is a writeup on how to set this file up.

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACAD_E/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesAcadE_UsersGuide/GUID-DC97CB8C-F9C8-467...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 14
johnq
in reply to: testsubject

Hi

Bob H's info is correct. May I add my process for ACE2012

As a 13 month user self taught I had difficulty with this process until I realised that the name of the text file to be protable is called:   Default_wdtitle.wdl     This was not obvious to me at first.  I was trying to give it a unique name.

I find that if I create and new directory for the new project,  then I create the project file under that directory.   Next I copy my standard    Default_wdtitle.wdl    file to the new folder.

THEN I copy the old project files to the new directory.

Hope this

Message 4 of 14
testsubject

You only have to set up the one default_wdtitle.wdl file if you put it into a folder in the ACAD search path.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 5 of 14
dougmcalexander

If you work with multiple title blocks that could vary (like an integrator might) I suggest naming the file with the projectname_wdtitle.wdl method and keep it in the project folder.  The important thing is to keep it in the same folder with the projectname.wdp file.  It will copy and rename as needed during a project copy operation.  As Bob suggested, if you always work with one title block, just keep the name as default_wdtitle.wdl and place it in AutoCAD Electrical's search path.  I always put files like that in the User subfolder, which is the default location for "default files" such as the default.wdw (wire color/gauge label) file.  Electrical always checks this folder if it doesn't find a file inside the project folder first.

Note: There is a tutorial for setting up a template at www.ecadconsultant.com.  It covers the subject of the _wdtitle.wdl file as well.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 14
Outbound

Thanks to all for the help.  Unfortunately, I have had no luck.  I assume that I am missing something very basic, as it seems that I have tried every possible version of the directions provided.  I will try following ecadconsultant to the letter, and see what happens.

Can you think of anything I may be missing along the way? 

Message 7 of 14
dougmcalexander

You might want to consider classroom training. I am teaching an open class in Atlanta in July.  I normally teach on site for one company so we can focus on their needs but this is an open class for anyone, space permitting.  This is a 4-day course, not my usual 5-day course, but we will touch on the theory behind the template construction and related supported files needed for the title block update.  My 5-day course includes in-depth administrative-level exercises where we create a template, customize the software, explain the ins and outs of networking and much more.  The class I am teaching in July will be held at Applied Software in Atlanta.  Contact Trevor Fite at (404) 633-8660 for scheduling information if you are interested.  Trevor can let you know about any plans for another 5-day in-depth course.  I have none scheduled with Applied Software at this time, but they have occasionally offered them in the past.

Training will pay for itself over and over with increased productivity, as you will be able to tap into more and more of Electrical's capabilities.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 8 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

To figure out why you are not having any luck I have some questions.

Did you try naming the file as suggested, with the project name as the prefix. So for example if the project name is WDDEMO then the file would be called WDDEMO_WDTITLE.WDL?

Did you place it in the same folder as the project .WDP file?

Can you attach the .WDL file to a post here so I can look at it?

To see if it is finding the file do the following -

1. Turn on the AcadE debugger AEONLISPDEBUG

2. Run the Title block update just to bring up the dialog then cancel out.

3. Copy and paste everything on the command line into a posting

If AcadE is finding your file then there should be a line that looks something like -

OUT:wd_proj_figure_wdtitle_fnam=C:\Users\murnenp\Documents\AcadE 2013\AeData\proj\Demo\wddemo_wdtitle.wdl

Regards,

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 14
Outbound

Thanks to everyone...it works!!!

I am able to successfully save the file in the project folder.

Unfortunately, I am still not able to make the default file work for all projects.

Nevertheless, the main problem is solved.  I think I was cutting and pasting the file, and then changing the name. I don't know why that doesn't work the same, but it doesn't.  I learned that the text file MUST be opened and saved with the new name, NOT copied and renamed. 

If anyone knows a why the text file would not be working as a default file, let me know.  I have saved it as "default_wdtitle.wdl" at various points within the search path.

Thanks for your help!

Message 10 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

This is from the Help -

You can create different WDL files for different projects. The search sequence is as follows:

1. Look in the same folder as the .WDP file for the project, for a file called <projname>_WDTITLE.WDL where <projname> matches the name of the active project.
  2. Look in the same folder as the .WDP file for the project for a file called DEFAULT_WDTITLE.WDL.
  3. If WD_ACADPATHFIRST flag is present in wd.env file, look for DEFAULT_WDTITLE.WDL in ACAD paths.
  4. Look for DEFAULT_WDTITLE.WDL in the AutoCAD Electrical USER folder.
  5. Look for DEFAULT_WDTITLE.WDL in the base AutoCAD Electrical folder.
  6. If WD_SUP_ALT is defined in the wd.env file, look for DEFAULT_WDTITLE.WDL in the specified path.
  7. Look for DEFAULT_WDTITLE.WDL in ACAD paths (if WD_ACADPATHFIRST flag is not set in the wd.env).

Once it finds one it stops searching. So if you want to use a default one for all projects make sure it doesn't find anything in step 1 or 2.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 14
dougmcalexander

Be sure that your version of Windows is set to show file extensions.  This can cause problems when renaming text files because you can't see that the extension is already there.  In that case, you may end up with projectname_wdtitle.wdl.wdl.

Doug McAlexander

Message 12 of 14
Outbound

GOT IT!

Case closed...thank you!

Message 13 of 14
cbz20
in reply to: testsubject

hello bob,

i'm very new to autocad electrical and want to know how to create save a file with .wdl extension... when i try with note pad it only has .txt extension. i'm very confused...

Message 14 of 14

In Notepad if you want to save a file to an extension other than .txt, in the "Save as type" drop-down list pick All Files. Then enter the file name with the extension you want, in this case the .wdl extension.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost