AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACE2011 to ACE2012 default_cat.mdb merge?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Tim_L
776 Views, 3 Replies

ACE2011 to ACE2012 default_cat.mdb merge?

Hi,

Once again I hope there is a painless solution with ACE2012.  ACE2011 did not seem to work very well for us.  We use the default catalog bundled with each new version of ACE and have this same issue every time.  The DB is on the network so all of us can add information to supplied part records (ie add our internal part number to USER1 field and internal description to USER2 filed) and add new records with related info for parts/records not supplied with catalog.  Now we have hundreds of modified parts/records and just as many new parts that have been added to the ACE2011 default catalog.  I would like to use the new catalog supplied with ACE2012. Has anyone found a any way to merge the two data bases in such a way that nothing is over written in ACE2012, just populating empty fields (USER1, USER2) with data from ACE2011 and adding parts/records to ACE2012 that are new in ACE2011.  In the past we have done this one part/record at a time, piece by piece as we need them.  It sure would be a help if there was a tool or procedure that would do the job in one fell swoop.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Tim_L

I always use the MIgration Utility.  It only takes a few minutes. 

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
Tim_L
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Sorry it has been awhile.  Just got back to this one.  Had to do a little searching to get the whole story but you put me on the right path Doug.  Everything worked better than I had hoped.  Thank you for the help.

Message 4 of 4
robbm2k
in reply to: Tim_L

doug,

i've been trying to merge the catalog and PLC databases so far without luck using the migration utility. Some of the part numbers aren't updating the description and user fields. there are a couple items i spot-checked and the field didn't update with the description and the user field entry we have in the 2009 ACADE database. In other parts, both fields updated, and in other instances, the new part wasn't even added during the migration. during migration i used MERGE and checked the MAINTAIN TEXTVALUE and MAINTAIN USER FIELDS. It's obvious that some parts are updating or being added if not in the 2012 MDB, but not all are. At this point, i just have to keep using the old library, but would rather not...

thoughts?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost